1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured what is hardest known language to translate bible into?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Feb 19, 2014.

1. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Right on, right on.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me its a toss up between Welsh & Brooklynese:laugh:

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My vote would have been trying to interprete former tiger manager Jim Leland post game conferences, when he was always also chewing chicken salad!

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How would you handle translating terms/words that have NO equivalent word?
    or what if the word would be like the lamb of God died for our sins, would be the pig of God, as in their culture, those 2 animals equivalent to each other?

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard that before. But no honest translator would substitute pig for lamb. If a given culture is not familiar with sheep --no other animal should be used in its place in Scripture -- it represents too great of a loss. The English word sheep should probably be phoneticized in the receptor language and an explanatory footnote given.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't forget the heritage of our English language, John. William Tyndale had to invent some new words to convey biblical concepts that our language did not possess prior to his time. Remember, he came up with Jehovah,passover,atonement,scapegoat,mercy seat and shewbread along with some others I may be neglecting. New terms and phrases in English can still be used for English translations.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This happens in major languages as well as tribal languages. There are at least three options which do not mis-translate "lamb" with "pig" and the like.

(1) Invent a new word in the target language with target language morphemes (the minimum sound with meaning). Then you footnote it.
    (2) Translate with a phrase: "white animal with good hair" for sheep, for example.
    (3) Transliterate, taking the sound from the original into the target language, then add a footnote. This is what the Japanese Shinkaiyaku does with the Hebrew word for leprosy to avoid an older term which is insulting and a newer term which doesn't fit an ancient document. In our translation, we've done the same thing with the Greek word.

Incidentally, the old story that someone translating into an Alaskan language rendered "lamb of God" with "seal pup of God" is a myth. Never happened according to Eugene Nida. But similar renderings have been done elsewhere.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, I'm ambivalent about in English. There was a need to do so in Tyndale's time, but since he pioneered for us, and did it almost 500 years ago, I'm not sure there is a need for it in English nowadays. I'm not sure it's wrong to do so, but I ask, why would you?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what about when think ABS translayed Son of God into arabic as something else?

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a situation where at least two possibilities already existed in ancient language with existing Bible translations; quite different from the proposed scenario in this thread.

11. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, Sparky, where are you?

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps there is no need at present to come up with new theological words in our English Bible translations. But alternative ways of expressing traditional wordings might be a good idea for some translations. Biblish gets in the way of conveying the real intent to folks without a church background.

For instance,why does it have to be "made righteous" in Romans 3:21,22? Couldn't "being right in his sight" or "made right in God's sight" do just as well? He (God) makes us right in his sight. He (God) gives us right standing in His eyes.

The word propitiation is used in traditional English Bible translations. But the 96 NLT renders Romans 3:25a as "For God sent Jesus to take the punihment for our sins and to satisfy God's anger against us." Wouldn't that reading serve to bring out the meaning better than the largely unfamiliar proptiation? Using substitute words like "the satisfaction" or "the appeasement" would hardly improve the idea of the original.

My point is that using age-old words might impede real understanding of the eternal truths of the Bible. Words like justification,righteousness,sanctification,reconciliation and repentance are not sacrosanct. By the way,William Tyndale thought it perfectly proper to use a variety of words and phrases to convey repentance. Even the word grace does not have to be used as the translated Greek word of charis on every occasion. The word favor does well sometimes.

Bible translation doesn't have to be a static enterprise. As a language changes --so should Bible translations so the common person can understand the sense. Tyndale sought to:"interpret the sense of the scripture and the meaning of the spirit" as Brian Moynahan has said.

No,I do not believe I am advocating throwing the baby out with the bathwater nor am I in favor of reinventing the wheel.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I say, I'm ambivalent about the English. Plus I don't want to derail the thread. So I'll not comment on your examples here. But I will say that I value accuracy in a translation more than I do ease of understanding.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    6 feet under!

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is the tension in translation, isn't it?

that is why I would lean towards those advocating a formal approach every time!

amd also do feel that we should keep in those 'theological terms", as they are still the statndard ones used in biblcal doctrines/theology!