1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Hell?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Inquiring Mind, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

After visiting this blog http://blog.myspace.com/l5p and responding to him via pm he gave me why he believes the way he does concerning hell via this web site http://www.what-the-hell-is-hell.com/

Christians out there believe Hell does not exist, that it was created by man as myth to keep people enslaved to a church.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sounds like a Universalists, walks like a Universalist - quacks like a Universalist.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have found it to be a waste of time discussing this issue with Christians who don't believe hell exists.

4. UberSmith

UberSmith New Member

Hell

Oh yeah, that guy is in fact, a Universalist. Honestly, if someone doesn't believe in a literal Hell but does believe in the sacrificial atonement for Christ for his or her sins, it doesn't make them any less of a Christian. It may get under your skin that they don't share your beliefs, however, it wouldn't change anything ---- you don't go to hell because you don't believe in Hell (I've actually read on some boards those who actually believe that if you DONT believe in a literal hell, you are doomed to go there!) On the other hand, those who are Universalist have a difficult time believing that Jesus is in fact THE way, THE truth and THE life and that no one comes to the father but by him. So, which is more pressing? What should you spend most of your energy on when confronted by one of these characters? I personally wouldn't loose any sleep if I didn't convince someone there is a literal hell. Actually, if that is the big stick you use to "lead" someone to Christ, I would have to question their conversion in the long run. Just some food for thought.

M

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed. People can be in error thinking that "all dogs go to heaven" AND that "all mankind goes to heaven" -- and still be saved.

And - I would not want to have to argue that THEIR error is so much worse than praying to the dead, or trying to justify the slaughter of millions of Christians, or inventing Purgatory etc.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree there are more important issues to focus on than Christians who don't believe in hell, but universalism sticks in my craw because it undermines the sacrifice and suffering of Jesus Christ. What a cost He paid! And for what? So all will go to heaven anyway, even if they deny him (some believe those who deny him will get a chance later and believe him because it will be so obvious).

Here's an example of the dangerous results of this thinking: Christian writer Anne Lamott, who is very popular in some circles and was given an admiring interview by Christianity Today magazine, is a universalist. She wears a cord around her wrist that was blessed by the Dalai Lama and given to her by Buddhist writer Jack Kornfield.

Lamott has endorsed a book by New Ager Marianne Williamson. This is really horrible and is a terrible witness for Christ. But since she believes everyone goes to heaven, I guess she doesn't see any problem with endorsing a book that leads people into spiritual darkness, because for a universalist, there are no consequences of spiritual darkness. Or maybe for them there is no spiritual darkness. Who knows what damage will come of her endorsement and her foolish statements? :tear:

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you do not believe in the wrath of God how can the cross have any meaning?

It cannot have any meaning at all. If you deny hell and the wrath of God then ther is no need for repentence, the shed blood, or the cross. And without those there is no salvation.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"And Jesus could do no more miracles there (Capernaum) because of their unbelief."
    Unbelief is one of the greatest hindrances to coming to salvation: whether it be unbelief in the Bible, in the deity of Christ, in Heaven or in Hell, or in any number of doctrines. Unbelief keeps one from Christ.
    Did not Jesus say, "When I come again will I find faith?"
    Jude said that it was our obligation to, "Contend for the faith." That means to stand up and defend those very doctrines which Christ and the Apostles taught such as the existence of an eternal place of punishment.
    Doctrine is important. It cannot be ignored. We cannot brush it aside and simply say that winning souls is the most important thing. Obedience to the Scriptures in all things is.
    DHK

9. Inquiring Mind

Bob the SDA man. If these Universalists believe in everyone getting to heaven and hell is just a myth, that parallels your pagan belief that there is no eternal damnation/punishment.

10. gekko

gekko New Member

hell is a literal place.

you dont believe that hell is literal? read the scriptures over again.

11. Inquiring Mind

12. gekko

gekko New Member

i know. i was just making a point. :p

13. Inquiring Mind

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

14. UberSmith

UberSmith New Member

Here's a question........

If hell is a literal place, why didn't God make Adam aware of this punishment before he sinned? Come to think of it, Cain wasn't told, neither was Noah, Abraham, Joshua, David, etc. As a matter of fact, God only told Adam that he would die. Now, I am prepared for the "Death has two meanings" argument --- bear in mind, the text does'nt say that.... it just says that in the day he eats of the forbidden food, he will die; the graveyards are testimony to this truth. For an interesting treatment of this subject, see The Origin And History Of The Doctrine of Endless Punishment by Thomas B. Thayer. If you're not afraid of words, give it a read. :thumbs:

M

15. Inquiring Mind

You're a Universalist as well?

16. Inquiring Mind

Does God have to reveal everything to man all at once? If yes then, why didn't God tell Adam and Eve they were Immortal?

17. Inquiring Mind

way to long to read.

18. UberSmith

UberSmith New Member

I wouldnt assume that God had to tell them. Am I a Universalist? No...I believe the paper by Thayer is a very challenging paper. To long to read? You've told me volumns.

19. His Blood Spoke My Name

It is interesting to think of a place that burns with fire for all eternity, and yet, there is a town in Pennsylvania that has had a fire under it for 45 years and engineers say could very well burn for another 100 years!

For the rest of the story, follow this link:
    http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm