1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is It to be Unequally Yoked?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven Yeadon, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Is It to be Unequally Yoked?

2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1
    14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them
    and walk among them,
    and I will be their God,
    and they will be my people.”[c]

17 Therefore,

“Come out from them
    and be separate,
    says the Lord.
    Touch no unclean thing,
    and I will receive you.”[d]

18 And,

“I will be a Father to you,
    and you will be my sons and daughters,
    says the Lord Almighty.”[e]

7 Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

As for my own viewpoint on these verses, I believe they come down to key words and phrases used.

Unbelievers and believers have nothing in common. The Greek word means: a sharing, partaking; communion, fellowship.

There is no fellowship with light or darkness, believers and unbelievers. The Greek word used communicates either partnership or fellowship.

These words "partnership" and "fellowship" refer to a myriad of relationships. A community joined by a common interest, regular company, a romantic relationship, business partners, and more. All seem to indicate someone whose company you regularly keep, no matter why that is so.

Fellowship
    Definition of FELLOWSHIP

Partnership
    Definition of PARTNERSHIP

Partner
    Definition of PARTNER

Unbelievers and believers have no harmony. The Greek word used means: unison, accord; agreement.

Unbelievers and Believers have nothing in common. The Greek word used means: a portion in common, share.

There is no agreement between believers and unbelievers. The Greek word means "assent."

We are to be free of all that contaminates body and spirit. The Greek word means: defilement or pollution.

Lastly, we are exhorted to do something that would be difficult: to perfect holiness in the fear of God.

All of that said, it seems that any close association with an unbeliever, where they are in some way a steady companion for any reason, is to violate the command to not be unequally yoked.

This means something completely unsettling for most American Christians: Church is where you find your spouse, friends, companions, close associates, and partners for life, not the unbelieving world. The verses given even offer an explanation for this fact.

Unbelievers also being people we are trying to win for Christ, through giving the Gospel.

#1 Steven Yeadon, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, in some idealistic perfect world... but you and I both know that you can also find some really sketchy people in churches. Christ broke bread with tax collectors and prostitutes... he looked to alter the world by changing hearts. I’d follow His example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was seeking after the Lost, as we should. That said, it is very telling that the only close associates of Jesus, that were regularly with him, were the disciples.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you put a large egg and an extra large egg in the same pan you are unequally yoked.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That he hand picked.....one was a traitor & thief, one didn't back him & lied about his association with Him, one that denied Him, one that had previously been a tax collector & an apostle that hunted down his disciples....actually a real rogues gallery of egregious sinners. Anyway Mark 2:17 and Luke 5:31 .

6. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that the disciples were imperfect, as are people in the Church.

I am not saying "do not eat with unbelievers." I am simply saying that there are certain close relationships we should not have with unbelievers.

Do you believe there are any relationships where we can be unequally yoked?

7. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it means do not become legally bound or place yourself under oath with unbelievers. If we are not allowed to walk after our own flesh, why would we subject ourselves to walk after the flesh of an unbeliever?

Bank loans and contracts do not demand this. Labor unions, marriages to unbelievers, the military, and the civil magistrates do.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I do.

9. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you elaborate?

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not equally yoked with my wife,she is a lapsed Presbyterian, I’m a Baptist. Do I love her— yes I do. My best friend was a Catholic, but he was a generous and loving man with a heart of gold. I loved him up till he died of cancer a few years ago. My pastor is in his early 30’s, I’m in my 60’s and we don’t see eye to eye regarding running a church— Because of this I may go somewhere else. We are not yoked together. My mother, a lifelong Catholic, was disappointed with the pedofile scandal but would not go to other churches. I on the other hand went to Presbyterian churches then graduated to Baptist and now am reconsidering that. We were not equally yoked but loved each other. I’m not friends with anyone in that church but I am friend, son, brother, father and husband to those I disagree with an am definitely not in yoke with. That’s life... I look into eyes, hearts and souls and if I see a genially descent soul , I respond favorably.

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's worth reading 1 Corinthians 5:9-13. We cannot avoid hob-nobbing with unsaved people in our business and private lives, but we should not tolerate open immorality within our churches.
    I think it's clear that Christians should not marry unbelievers, but if one becomes a Christian when already married to an unbeliever, one is not to separate ( 1 Corinthians 7:12-14).
    Bible-believing churches should not witness together or otherwise cooperate with liberal or Roman Catholic churches, but it may be lawful for individual Christians to cooperate with liberal or R.C. Christians over, say, abortion. I think that is something for the individual conscience.

12. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm left with few words

I see I was a hasty in four ways:

1. Many believers have spouses from when they were not believers. Martin is right, 1 Corinthians 7:12-14 makes it plain that we are to love our spouse regardless of what they believe.

2. Family are people we are close to, but whom we have no control over.

3. Unbelievers are people Jesus associated with to save those he could (Matthew 11:19, Luke 7:34).

4. Business relations are people we have no control to associate with in most cases.

I see the problem I have is that I did not understand that certain people, such as our family or longtime spouse, are people we must be close to, regardless. I also made the mistake of not carefully defining what a close associate is versus an associate. Unbelievers are to be our associates, coworkers as well, but given the history of my life and those of many I read of, it seems if we have control over who is very close to us, it should be someone we are in agreement with as a believer.

I will have to dive deeper into the word to gain a better understanding, thank you. I have more research to do.

13. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree completely on the need for real church discipline.

As for our relations with unbelievers, I amended my previous stances, you may want to check out post #12. I have much more to research on this matter through study of the Word.

I agree that churches must never corral themselves in with groups of unbelievers on a variety of issues. We lose our aura of holiness if we do so.

I think individual stances on issues comes down to political affiliation concerning certain causes, which is something it would seem we are to do. Christian soldiers and Centurions served Rome, and we are told to honor the emperor by Peter. It would seem, against Dave's advice, that we participate in government to the extent we are able to in good conscience. Although, I think it is very important never to let political group identity come first before our identity as Christians, as many are wont to do.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would a Christian being unequally yoked by commiting unpardonable sin per you, such as married to unbeliever, or one holding to a different religion?
    And there many Christians serving in military, even Generals/Admirals , correct?

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Relax Steve....its going to be difficult to really get a handle on people. Christ tells Thomas to touch the flesh....touch the wounds (John 20:27) Why do you suppose He did that?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess its hard to relax when you are two years old in the faith, and constantly finding challenging things in the bible. Things that warrant investigation and wrestling with. Things that change your whole perspective on life and everything.

I do get your point though, but it just doesn't feel I am to a place where I can relax too much.

I mean I was a liberal Christian when I started two years ago, so I'm in a very weird land trying to understand anything concerning things that feel familiar but aren't. Familiar biblical interpretations that seem diametrically opposed to the truth of a literal reading of an inerrant bible. Everything I stood for, believed in, and hoped to do three years ago was in error as far as I can tell. So much in error, it was anti-biblical.

As for Thomas, I always figured Christ did that because of Thomas' previous doubting comments to reinforce what was happening. A reinforcement Thomas would remember forever.

#16 Steven Yeadon, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  17. RayBap

RayBap New Member

Remember that the church at Corinth had some serious issues...not that different than the children of Israel during the Exodus. They were letting pagan influence into the local church. Some were worshiping the one true God alongside idols (just to be safe)...which was actually dangerous spiritually.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My ancestors on the Welsh Calvinist Methodists side (WIlliam Williams, Danial Rowland, Howel Harris and Martin Lloyd-Jones)? They all emphasized feelings.. they all were very concerned about what George Whitefield called a ‘Felt’ Christ. They were not content with orthodoxy... they wanted to feel Him. Have you ever heard the hymn “Guide me, Oh Thou great Jehovah?”—- totally a felt experience hymn.

And Steve, these people not only wanted to feel the Lords presence, they wanted to know....and they wanted assurance ( of course you can get much of that from scripture but they wanted the warm and comfortable feeling that it is all real).

I guess I employ this for sometime by asking people “how is God working in your life lately” ... are they seeing and feeling God moving in them? It’s an emphasis on experience, and on assurance, and on these “felt experiences” in day to day life.

You should study that and I think it will help enlighten you... and relax you

Good night ... gotta be up early tomorrow... God Bless.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you think they did that... worship God alongside idols?

20. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Paul clearly tells us not to do something, is it sin not to obey? Is it possible many christians do not know they are sinning? We know Cornelius was a soldier when the Lord saved him. But he later became a Bishop so they say. If we cannot walk after our own fleshly dictates, is it sane for us to place ourselves under oath, legally binding ourselves to walk after the flesh of an unbeliever? Especially when loving enemies is treason?