1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Love?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 17, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many these days will say that you are "unloving" if you have biblical discernment. Recently I was told I was not loving because I said that some in the Word of Faith/Third Wave movements are charlatans and false teachers. To quote this person.

I replied and asked if Jesus was loving when you read his words to the 7 churches in revelation. I never got a reply as this person's personal feelings and mystical experiences have more weight than the scripture in her unbiblical mind.

Anyone dealt with these type? They are everywhere. I am reading a book by Josh McDowell called the New Tolerance and its speaking of these types.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

1 Cor. 13
    4 Love is patient, love is kind.
    Love does not envy,
    is not boastful, is not conceited,
    5 does not act improperly,
    is not selfish, is not provoked,
    and does not keep a record of wrongs.
    6 Love finds no joy in unrighteousness
    but rejoices in the truth.
    7 It bears all things, believes all things,
    hopes all things, endures all things.
    8 Love never ends.

Eph. 4
    15 But speaking the truth in love, let us grow in every way into Him who is the head—Christ.

When witnessing or evangelizing, we have to mix love, which is all the characteristics listed in 1 Cor 13, with truth. Otherwise we come off as cold and judgmental. It takes spiritual maturity to do this. Even then, some will reject the truth, but you will have done your job God's way and that's what we have to be concerned with.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love is telling the truth yes. The prophet Jeremiah, the prophet Elijah told the truth and they were hated.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks to me like this woman shared her feelings to you in a very respectful way, and I agree with her message. Just from reading your different posts here on BB, I would agree with her that while you have confidence, you could use a little more tact and social skills. Please understand, that is not a personal attack against you, it's just something that was observed.

Not too long ago, another poster here offended me by referring to my replies as "emotional." I disagree with this poster on many issues and do not like his personality, but he was right in saying that particular phrase, because my emotions WERE controlling many of my posts at that time.

That's not to say he was "right" and I was "wrong" or "sinful" in my posting. It was just his observation of something I needed to work on. I think this lady you are debating with has observed something you can improve on. Don't be angry with her. Take her words with a grain of salt and learn from it. Iron sharpens iron.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The truth will always offend if the person is not receptive to it, but putting it in a nasty way may just turn someone against it who would have been willing to listen otherwise.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not know me, nor can you tell me why your POV is better than those that disagree with you. Look the truth offends plain and simple. Social skills on a message board? You have got to be kidding. Social skills is meant for in person encounters. It always amazes me how some people try and diagnosis people over the Internet when the Internet is the wrong environment for that.

#6 evangelist6589, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
  7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems the truth has offended you, now, evangelist. (shrug) If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

8. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly, English is a very poor language when it comes to the word "love". We have only one word. Greek was much better as there were four words denoting four types of love. All have to be translated as 'love' in English and therein we sometimes loose much meaning in the NT.

Which type of love were you thinking of in your OP?

Agápe?
    Éros?
    Philia?
    Storge?

My guess is you were thinking of Agápe.

I Cor. 13, my understanding is that Paul uses the word Agápe.

The best example I know where meaning is lost because of English being so limited is when Jesus asks Peter, "Do you love me?"
    Jesus uses the word Agápe ................. "Do you agápe me.
    Peter replies, I philia you.

There is a big difference between agápe and philia.

#9 Crabtownboy, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
  10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow.

You asked for opinions; you got them. Your response indicates you didn't want opinions, you just wanted people to agree with you and tell you that you were right, and the woman you mention in your opening post was wrong.

abcgrad was absolutely spot on. If you can't take the "meant in love" constructive criticisms, don't post.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that being polite is being polite regardless of whether it is in personal encounters, on the telephone, in letters, in e-mail or on bulletin boards.

The way a person responds on a BB gives a pretty strong indication of what that person is like in personal encounters. Naturally cold print on the cool screen does not carry inflection well and it gives no indication of body language. But it does say something about the person who posted the message.

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    paul/Peter/Jude would ALL denounce those false teachers/doctrines inmidst of the body!

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Human interaction is human interaction. Doing it electronically does not exonerate you from the obligation to be just as civil as you would be in a face to face conversation...it simply makes it easier and more comfortable for people to be rude. That doesn't make it right.

14. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

AMEN....:thumbsup: ABC...answered your question, and offered reasonable and constructive advice......she illustrated her point by utilizing herself as a negative example...of what not to do...you got in your feelings about it. Listen to what she has to say. Her humility does her credit. Your Word of Faith friend has precisely the same problem you do.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly.. I was listening to a sermon on CD from a good preacher and he said that he has been accused of being intolerent for his views. His sermon was a good one on Jeremiah the prophet. I am sure that Jeremiah was also told that he lacked social skills because he exposed error and false teachers boldly. In fact turn to Jer 26 and read their reaction to him. They wanted to kill him! Jeremiah indeed lacked social skills.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right in that I should not have asked such a question to people that I do not know, nor do they know me. I have plenty of real life friends, have many FB friends, and have been to many parties and events. I am quite satisfied with my offline social skills. No I wont make everyone happy, nor do I intend too. Yes I should not have posted the question, I was in error.

17. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Jeremiah huh....interestingly, I do not think we should be dogmatic about it....but Jeremiah might have been the most loving, deep-feeling and emotionally sensitive of the Old Testament prophets!!!!! John the Baptist maybe....but Jeremiah??
    It was Jeremiah's message the people despised....not his presentation....it is your presentation which has gotten you in a fix...not your message. I know... I can be the biggest jerk in the world....I've even tried to prove it on BB before....I myself often say the right thing the wrong way and it is never helpful.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

What is love? Jesus dying on a cross, laying in a tomb for three days and nights, resurrected the third morning, received into Glory, all for an unworthy sinner such as I. Now THAT is love!! Glory to His precious name!! :jesus::godisgood::jesus::godisgood:

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen to that friend.