1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is meant by Cals when they ask: do you believe "by our own ability?"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I continually hear this argument from Calvinists regarding how they think we believe that salvation is based on "our own ability." Or that we teach that we believe in God "on our own." Or something of like that...

What IS and what is NOT "of our own ability?"

Can you breathe "on your own ability," or doesn't God really get the credit for that too?

How about blinking? Walking? Eating?

My point is WHAT in the world is "on our own ability" IF God is the one who created us with ALL OUR ABILITIES!!!!

Please allow me to say this once and for all time:

Non-Calvinists affirm that ALL GOOD THINGS (EVEN OUR ABILITY TO BELIEVE UNTO SALVATION) COMES FROM GOD AND GOD ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

OK?

Now, I feel better. Thanks for listening. :godisgood:

#1 Skandelon, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2011
  2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. As Paul put it "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) abides not a single good thing"

If we are to be saved (wherever we draw theological lines) it is NOT from within us, but the regenerating/supernatural work of the holy Spirit of God on His own.

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

On that truth we can agree. :)

5. quantumfaith

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Skan, Are you saying that man does not have inherent saving faith...but saving faith is the gift of God? when you said this;
    I have seen many affirm the direct opposite?:confused:

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbsup:

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

(((((AMEN!!!!!))))):thumbs:

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I second that!! :) :) :)

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I am not Bro. Skan, but I, being a FW'er, believe that faith is a gift of God. :)

Well, Brother, faith comes from one of two sources(well, only one REAL source, but for argument's sake), either "A" from God, or "B", from man. I choose "A" because it states it that way.

11. quantumfaith

Icon, I don't know about Skan, but I DO think it is a natural inherent property of all mankind, perhaps part of the imago dei.

12. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I've seen affirmation of this also.

That the person already has faith within self and exercised it, comparable to sitting on a chair, and other illustrations of how common "faith" is, and this used against the fact God gifted that faith and enabled us to believe.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Faith is simply the ability to choose whether you believe something is true or false.

Heb 11:11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.

Sara simply believed that God was honest and told the truth. That is faith.

Do you see any mention of some supernatural work to enable Sara to believe here? No, and you will not find that anywhere in scripture. Sara simply believed God's promise. And when she did, THEN God supernaturally enabled her to conceive.

14. preacher4truth

Not really. The gift of faith is not the same as your confidence in an inaminate object.

Sara believed why? Because of Gods Word that brings faith, and this is He speaking to her, that is, that Gods Word brought her the ability to believe. Gods Word brings faith. Romans 10:17; 2 Peter 1:2; Romans 12:3; Ephesians 2:8-10; Philippians 1:29.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well of course God's promise enabled her to believe, how can you believe something you have never heard?

That is why Paul asked "and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?" (Rom 10:14)

You are making faith into something mystical and magical when it is not. That is straight from the RCC.

No wonder folks are all mixed up and don't even know if they have faith!

16. preacher4truth

I think the one mixed up here is you. You've continued to errantly present what I and others do/believe/preach.

Also, we are asked to see whether we be in the faith.

Now, I actually gave you passages proving faith a gift of God, not some inward magical potion we possess:

Romans 10:17; 2 Peter 1:2; Romans 12:3; Ephesians 2:8-10; Philippians 1:29.

It is non-cals, and free-willers who have lended to the false notions of faith seen along the theological landscape, that it is some magical force, resulting in Word-Faith, toxic-faith, a God who cannot do a thing without our faith (Copelandism) and other erroneous views of faith, rather than it being a gift of God, soberly understood as coming from Him, not from "within."

The fact is that this faith has been distorted into turning God into a bellhop and powerless unless we exercise this "magical substance." So, in fact, it again, stems from free-will/non-cal theological camps.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer Icon's question. The Noncalvinists on this board have affirmed that faith is a natural quality, that men were created with it, and that all are born with it, and that it is within the power of the flesh to exercise it, like eating and breathing.

Calvinists say the exact opposite in agreement with Paul who said, For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that [faith] not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a P Contest this has become.....you guys got nothing better to do then play these never ending useless games. You need to all get on your knees & thank the lord for the gifts he has bestowed you all. Grow up!!!

19. quantumfaith

ABSOLUTELY and UNEQUIVOCALLY FALSE. You should take no pride in making such a statement.

20. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.