1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is meant by "defining your own gender" ?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jailminister, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

School risks millions over gender law

CHRISTOPHER CLAIRE

DEVOUT Christians on a California district school board have defied a state anti-discrimination law that allows students and staff to define their own gender because it violates their principles.

The board in the Orange County school district of Westminster say the law could lead to promotion of a transsexual agenda in the classroom, cross-dressing on campus and boys and girls mixing in school bathrooms.

They risk losing millions of dollars in funding and a possible state takeover by voting to hold firm to its views.

In a series of votes over recent months, the three-trustee majority on the five-member board has made the board the only one of 1,056 in California to resist the state law.

The stand has prompted state Superintendent for Public Instruction Jack O’Connell to threaten withdrawal of $7.8m (£4.3m) in annual funding if the district fails to comply with the law by midnight tomorrow.

The three trustees are fighting considerable community opposition. Even parents in traditionally conservative Orange County who are sympathetic to the trustees’ concerns question their willingness to place school funding at risk.

"My kids are going to suffer because of the three village idiots," said parent Louise Morley before Monday’s vote. "You can’t bring religious beliefs into public education."

In an emergency meeting last week before a standing-room-only crowd of more than 200, the board’s three defiant trustees voted for a revised policy that grants some of the state’s demands but draws the line at letting students define their gender.

The state is reviewing the district’s revised policy, but O’Connell, the state schools chief, issued a statement saying: "Every child in this state deserves unequivocal protection from discrimination," he wrote.

"I am disappointed that in 2004 this fundamental civil right is being debated."

The three trustees, led by board member Judy Ahrens, have described their position on the law as a stand against moral erosion.

"According to the people who are angry at us, there is a price on morality," Ahrens said in March. "I say, ‘Our kids are not for sale’."

©2004 Scotsman.com

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Just a few things. I live near Westnimster, btw.

First, there's no "Orange County School District". Wesminster is governed by the Westminster School District. The local school districts are governmed by the Orange County Board of Education, which is governed by the state. The OC Board of Education was never involved in this issue.

The issue at large surrounds a state board's anti-discrimination policy, which has been in effect for four years, which protects children from discrimination on the basis of gender, defined as actual or perceived sex. The Westminster school board's policy defines gender as the biological sex of an individual or the alleged discriminator's perception of the alleged victim.

Some in the district have made it sound like this is an issue of men being allowed into women's restrooms, and vice verse, which simply isn't the case. This is more a case of the local policy fitting in with the state policy. Many folks have pretty much hijacked this rather minor issue to promote their own hyperliberal or hyperconservative agendas.

As of this week, the state Department of Education approved the Westminster School District's revised policy on gender discrimination as complying with the state policy, thus ending the debate.

3. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Thanks, JohnV for clearing that up. I was scratching my head on that one.