1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is meant by "means"?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The burden is on you to prove it.

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um... no. You've made the claims--unsubstantiated. You've offered no citations, etc. You've offered nothing but your opinion. In a court of law, you'd be laughed at for asking a defendant to prove your opinion wrong.

You've made the claim. Give proof or drop it.

The Archangel

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oooo........Any bells going off in your head about now Brother???? :laugh:

4. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. Which ones should be going off?

The Archangel

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, maybe he just loves you & wants to straighten you out. Good luck with that. :smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AA....before Tom Smith and Jon Zens , John Resinger in the early 80's....who would you point to that would have opposed the formerly held confessions of faith on the teaching concerning the moral law?

I think we will differ on this to some extent, although some of your comments to not seem like those written in [reformation today] jons zens, Looking for the Imperative

Some of what I have seen you express seems to be closer to the historic position as I have seen it explained.

As I have said before, I enjoy and learn from most things you post.
    This is one area I believe we would perhaps have a difference.

If it is not a hot button issue for you, perhaps you could think of a link that I could look over that you believe gives food for thought here.

I know that ultimately what scripture says is where we must wind up, but are you thinking of Anabaptists. or someone else before the modern guys jumped into the fray?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AA....Perhaps a new thread on New Covenant Theology is in order....since you are the expert here....hint, hint.

8. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed, I agree with you.

The Holy Spirit has alway been applying the work of the Son to us. Christ died, but the Spirit makes that a reality to us, and He makes that work fruitful in us.

The Holy Spirt uses tools to get His work accomplished. These are means. Baptism and The Lords Supper are means that The Spirt uses to make the work of Christ both real and fruitful in our lives. The Spirt does not zap us and make us into zombies, He works in our lives to bring about Christ-likeness.

We don't believe preaching to be mystical or magical; however, we do understand that more is happening than meets the eye. We know that as God's word is preached the invisible work of the Spirt has also begun.

In the very same way, baptism and TLS are not magic, but The Spirit of God uses each to apply the gospel to us and to make us fruitful.

9. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not have the resources in front of me but if I remember correctly John Reisinger's book "Sound of Grace" and Well's and Zaspel's book "New Covenant Theology" support the abrogation of the Decalogue (Ten Commandments). Most NCT's believe the Sabbath Day (the 4th commandment) is not the same as the Lord's Day (Sunday). They make the argument that the Decalogue is like a house of cards. If your remove one commandment the house collapses on itself. I do not agree with that.

The Ten Commandments is basically the moral law of God codified. The moral law of God pre-dates the Mosaic Law. In fact, what would become the 4th commandment pre-dated the Decalogue (c.f. Gen. 2:2; Ex. 20:23).

The problem with NCT, as I stated previously (and apparently exposed Archangel as being thin-skinned), is that it lacks a history of sound scholarship. It is still a systematic theology in search of itself. The movement is fractured and lacks a cohesive and compelling voice. I am not saying it has nothing to bring to the systematic theology debate, but it certainly is the new kid on the block and has a lot to prove before it becomes more than a fringe movement among Calvinistic credobaptists.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The rift that splintered the fledgling 'Reformed Baptist' movement some years ago was cast as being about sabbatarianism, but it was mostly a manufactured controversy by certain Reformed Baptist leaders to deflect attention from the growing criticism of their own extreme authoritarianism:

http://solochristo.com/theology/Church/reiwh.htm

11. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    So... It's "Thin-skinned" to ask you to substantiate your claims? Absurd.

The Archangel

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thin skinned to call my original post on NCT ridiculous. But I digress.

13. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is--actually--ridiculous to make unsubstantiated claims without citing anything other than your own opinion.

That's not thin-skinned; it's keeping you honest. But, then I too digress...

The Archangel

14. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well then, enough of the mutual digression society. Do you care to make known your thoughts on the NCT-10 Commandments issue? If not, no problem. It is not like this board has a famine on topics to debate.

15. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would, but not in this thread. The suggestion was made to start a new thread--which I think is more apropos here.

The Archangel

16. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want to start such a thread I will participate.

17. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That should be a good and timely discussion in light of the openly antinomian views being offered by several on here. I think it will touch aon several areas of theology that need to be investigated.:applause::applause::applause::thumbsup: