1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is meant by names of blasphemy in this verse?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by dianetavegia, Feb 6, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Rev. 17:3 So he carried me away in the Spirit into the wilderness. And I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast which was full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

John Gill seems to imply this is the Roman Catholic church. Do you agree?

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I do not agree. But thanks for asking.

Making the references to Rome equate to a religious institution is lazy. Rome, at the time of the writing of Revelation, was the center of the world in a political and financial sense.

We Protestants are far too quick to demonize Catholicism. What if the verse refer to the United States?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Good question pizza.

Do you think it is a "name of blasphemy" to sing "God Bless America" when the wholescale slaughter of children is legal in America?

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Blasphemous? No. Pointless? Perhaps. And this applies even if Roe v. Wade were overturned tomorrow.

5. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello dianetavegia.

I agree.
    Rome will get her empire back for a short while.

johnp.

6. Providential

Providential Guest

Of course this refers to Rome. This is part of a prophetic passage, and it is inconceivable that God would not reveal the great persecutor and murderer of true Christians would be an institution claiming to be the true bride, but is truly an idolatrous harlot, bent on global domination.

An exhaustive, diligent historical and Scriptural exegesis leaves no doubt who the woman is, with her many titles of blasphemy, and her "ministers" bearing titles of blasphemy.

No one "demonizes" Rome for Rome IS demonized!

7. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

This isn't the RCC. That's just end-times hype baloney.

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Yeah. I guess that closes the door to all actual discussion, there.

Read some history and get back to me.

9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

My point exactly. When did it become the height of blasphemy to suggest that Jack Van Impe might not be the last word in exegesis? When did it become heretical to suggest that perhaps the RCC isn't the juggernaut that Fundamentalists accuse it of being?

I'd be interested to see, somewhere, an average of membership fo the world's largest religions/denominations. I am almost certain that Roman Catholicism isn't the number one, or even number two, largest religious body.

10. atestring

atestring New Member

I think that the accusation that the verse in Revelations refers to the Roman Catholic Church is ridiculouos and there is no scriptural basis for such an interpretation.

11. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thouth some may think of Rev 17:3 as nothign more than "hype and baloney" -- I think it is the word of God - and yes - it does combine with other chapters (like Rev 12 and 13) to not only identify the Roman Catholic Church but ALSO to identify 1260 years of horrible persecution during the dark ages - sponsored by the RCC.

In Christ,

Bob

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

OK, so the world ended in about 1300, then. Got it.

13. johnp.

johnp. New Member

tragic_pizza.

I think that might be an erroneous position you are holding pizza. :cool:

johnp.

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I think that might be an erroneous position you are holding pizza. :cool:

johnp.
    </font>[/QUOTE]That's kind of my point.

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Sorry I did not see the other question dianetavegia.
    REV 17:3 Then the angel carried me away in the Spirit into a desert. There I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast that was covered with blasphemous names and had seven heads and ten horns.

The beast is covered with blasphemous [impiously irreverent] names? Names can mean almost anything from the mystic essence to Joe Bloggs! I'd go for, a descriptive or qualifying appellation based on character, attributes, or acts.

The beast is part of the European Union. :cool: The seven heads are the seven Catholic countries and the ten horns are the countries that will be allied to them within Europe.
    The woman is the false church and she is called wickedness. Zec 5:6-11.
    17:4 The woman was dressed in purple and scarlet... Takes a lot of effort to believe this is not the RCC.
    ...She held a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominable things and the filth of her adulteries.
    It takes even more effort when you consider the idolatry.
    17:6 I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the saints, the blood of those who bore testimony to Jesus.
    They butchered us without let or hinderance for a thousand years. They could not prevail against the Church. Their thousand year reign of terror cannot be coincidence. I think we should look at the thousand year bit in the light of that. Looks possible it's bin and gone.

johnp.

16. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's you "getting it"???

Seems like you "missed it".

In Rev 12 we have the 1260 years of the dark ages dominated primarily by the RCC as it presided over the persecution of the saints.

The fact that this is the period where the RCC superceeds Pagan Rome is a claim made BOTH by RC historians and by non-RC historians.

That is the "easy part".

The fact that Rev 12 does not end with "The end of the world is obvious. Neither does Rev 13 end with that event.

We don't get to that part until Rev 19.

Has not happened yet in case you are wondering.

In Christ,

Bob

17. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Good question Diane.
    By what I believe it is the (yet future) result of the ecumenical (let's all get together, forget sound doctrine) movement, of which the R.C.C. will be a part.
    This conglomeration will be so far removed from anything that the Lord Jesus would approve of that, whatever it would call itself, it would be blasphemous.