1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is my sin?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Travelsong, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I'm a little tired of this ongoing debate about music and morality.Much of it has to do with the fact that I can never get answers to the questions I ask, but most of it is the impenetrable circular thinking.Of course if this was a live debate I would not allow Aaron and others to dodge and run away from every challenge, but unfortunately this is the internet and it is a perfect environement for hit and run guerilla warfare.No one has to be accountable for the claims they make in a forum like this, and I suspect it will never be different.

So I was thinking to myself, what question could I pose that would strike at the heart of this topic and would be unavoidable?Surely in a discussion about morality-right and wrong, good and evil, there must be a bottom line.So here it is:

What is my sin?

I ask this question to all of those who feel there is such a thing as inherently sinful or evil musical styles, but it is especially directed at Aaron.

I enjoy a wide variety of musical styles, from folk to techno, and classical to country and rock.I do not listen to music that has an anti-christ message.I do not listen to music that has an unchristian message in any respect.

So with that in mind Aaron and all who are like minded please, answer this question with respect to my enjoyment of music:

What is my sin?

2. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Well then Travelsong...your sin is the same as mine. Because I pretty well feel the same about the music as you do.

So what is our sin?

Sherrie

3. Charlotte Marcel

Charlotte Marcel New Member

This topic has been one of some discussion within my church. To simplify, one question can be asked, and the answer is personal. "Does it honor God?" .

What may be completely offensive to one Christian may be completely benign to another. Like I said, this is personal. There are no pat answers in my opinion. The Holy Spirit tells us by that still small voice what is good for us and our walk with Christ, and what may not be. What is your sin? That I can't answer, I can only be responsible for mine.

Charlotte

4. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

some love contemporary music so much they're willing to sin in their defense of it. the same applies to the other side as well.

5. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

So answer the question. Let's dispense with all the vague generalities.

What is my sin?

6. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

What does that even mean? :confused:

So now Timothy, have I sinned twice? Once for listening to it, and then for defending it? What in the world are you talking about! :confused:

Sherrie

7. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

What does that even mean? :confused:

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

read the various "rock is bad" threads. by our lord's standard, how are we doing?

8. JonHenry

JonHenry New Member

I think Timothy may be refering to the vehemence with which both sides defend their stances. Nasty attitudes are sinful, and occur on all sides of the issue. But not by the majority of us good people.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will, no doubt, scorn this exhortation, but for the sake of those who are, as you said, likeminded, I will answer you.

If you've read any of my posts about music, then you know that I contend that certain styles are sensual.

You also know that I use the Scriptural definition of "sensual" describing something that appeals to our lower natures, our appetites, our natural man.

We are instructed to put...on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof... Rom. 13:14.

10. er1001

er1001 New Member

:rolleyes: Our sensual lower nature can be fed by many different things.some of us are so narrow we can look through a key hole with both eyes at the same time,by the way our eyes and what we see can as damaging to our walk with Christ as music!
    My only thought about the statment,WHATS MY SIN,is God has a way of convicting us and even chastizing us for what he considers sin in our lives.Don't let another's opinion upset us too much,keep a song in your heart. ER

11. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

The Bible says:Every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean to him it is unclean. Rom 14:12-15

So instead of answering your question, which it is not in my power to answer with any authority, being not God, I ask you this: Why do you care what men think?

Look to God for your answers, Don't regard the opinions of people, the scorners, the naysayers, the mockers, lest they be a stumbling block to you.

And read the following scriptures for a fuller explanation of what Aaron posted. Romans 14. I think you will find it sheds more light on what he would have you believe is a rigid and one sided subject. ;) .

Laurenda [​IMG]

edited because my spelling errors are becoming a stumbling block to me. [​IMG]

[ March 10, 2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Wisdom Seeker ]

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Travelsong's question presupposes that certain types of music are sensual. He said
    Another way to ask that question is "If certain types of music are indeed sinful, then what exactly is my sin when I listen to it."

And I answered from God's Word, and really everyone has to agree. IF certain kinds of music are sinful, then it would indeed be a making of provision for the sinful nature to listen to it.

This has nothing to do with judging him personally. I believe Travelsong when he says he thinks there is no right or wrong in music. He is therefore acting sincerely when he listens to rock.

I expected responses like those just above. The problem with those responses is that they presuppose that all music is amoral and merely a matter of taste, and that renders them completely irrelevant to the question.

But I do want to correct the erroneous application of Romans 14. Chapter 14 is not an elaboration of 13:14. The thought in chapter 13 ends in 13:14. Chapter 14 begins a completely different thought. No one is foolish enough to suppose Christians have liberty to indulge the sinful nature.

[ March 09, 2003, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

13. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Is enjoying a sunny day sensual?
    Is enjoying a good meal sensual?
    Is enjoying a movie sensual?
    Is enjoying a fishing trip or any recreational activity sensual?
    Is enjoying all the wonderful gifts that God has given us for our enjoyment sensual?
    Is music any different than all of the above? If so, how?

EXACTLY how is it that certain styles of music appeal to our lower natures, our appetites, our natural man, and not others? As far as my experience is concerned, I enjoy them all the same way.

Exactly how is music a fleshly?

It most certainly does not. My question is simply directed to those who do make that presupposition.

That is not what I asked. I know that there is no such thing as a sinful style of music. I don't need to presuppose such a thing to ask the question I did.

If there truly was such a thing as a sinful style of music, then sin will be made clearly manifested by my enjoyment of it.That is what I am asking you to show me. I know for a fact that you will keep dodging and dodging this question, but at least it will be quite clear to everyone that you are this time.

So what is my sin?

14. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Your sin is you are not going with the flow. You do not think like the rest! You must be reprogramed! They are coming for you now. hehehe!

Sorry.

I was just checking, and still no answers hu?

Sherrie [​IMG]

15. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

You have to admit tho...anyone who owns a Bass fish on a board...singing take me to the river....now, that is a sin! hehehe!

Ok sorry again.

Come on folks I would really like to know. Lets not be shy now!

Sherrie

16. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

hmmmm....I was just thinking....Maybe it is not a sin! :cool:

Sherrie

17. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    intentionally or not, this question is divisive in nature, since no christian likes to be told that they are sinning, especially when their own church and pastor endorses it.

This question is inviting those who are opposed to rock to hit the first self-righteous blow and then made to look alike a bunch of religious hooligans.

:(

I will answer the question. But with a question, if you will bear with me. But this question is a very fundamental question. The point of departure. The point where you turn right and i turn left. And i hope that the Word of God will be the guiding light.

What is your understanding and practise of Biblical Separation?

[​IMG]

18. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

No, you are answering a question with a question. Therefore beating around the bush, and never answering. Start your own thread. The question was as easy as it can ever get. Answer the one on this thread.

This is the question.

Sherrie

19. er1001

er1001 New Member

[​IMG] Hi again,
    I've been a Baptist since the day I was saved in 1971.Since that time I have discovered that we Baptists have many different opinions on what is biblical separation.It depends on which bunch your running with whether something is worldly or not.In one church only old songs sung by women in conservative dresses and men in suit and ties are allowed on the platiform while another might allow women in pants and men with shirt unbuttoned and ear ring in his ear can sing new popular songs.
    the only way a subject like this one "whats my sin" might be settled would be if both involved in the discussion attended the same church and sat under the same teaching.Even then it could be difficult to agree.
    A discussion like this one reaching across local church lines and geological boundries can be difficult to settle "A". [​IMG] ER

20. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right! But If it's a KJV you are holding, it's the same Bible as mine. So we can talk about it. Different churches may practice Seaparation to different degrees but that does not make the WOrd of GOd different.

And yes, Seaparation is the basic, over-reaching issue here, not music. Because Separation will answer other questions like what movies are okay for a Christian? what jobs? what kind of dressing standard? what kind of speech? what places are okay? and of course, what kind of music is okay for a Christian?
    Once we know what GOd thinks about Separation, it is easier to answer that first question posted.

Please bear with me, Sherrie. [​IMG] I am not dodging. It would be good if there were some verses on Biblical Separation. [​IMG]