1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what is repentance?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Chessic, Oct 14, 2007.

1. OLD SCHOOL

OLD SCHOOL New Member

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh -which word in this verse gives your definition of "repentance'? I didn't find 'repent' or 'repentance' in the verse. Did I overlook it, somehow? (Never mind he context of the verse, or the general passage.) In fact, I just checked all 21 versions in English found on Bible Gateway, and not one of them uses any form of 'repent' in any verse in James. So your question is not applicable, IMO.

Once again, the word usually translated "repent" in the NT (metanoeO), as well as the noun form translated "repentance" (metanoia), both come from a combination word formed from the two Greek words of "meta" and "nous", or literally 'after-mind', or 'to think afterwards or differently', or "to change the mind" (as a verb) or "a change of mind/thinking" (as a noun). (This is basically supported by Strong's, Thayers, and Wigram's.)

And this is the word that is always used in the NT regarding salvation. As both DHK and I have said, it is in essence, the 'flip-side' of believe/faith, as it were.

As regards salvation, it is in no way "a separate step" from "saving faith". And according to Scripture, this 'saving' "change of mind" is "directed", not at sin, in any way, but is "directed" as "repentance (change of mind) toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ" (direct quote from Acts 20:21 - NKJV) A parallel passage is found in Heb. 6:1 which says the foundation is "repentance (change of mind) from dead works and of faith toward God". (direct quote - NKJV) The directional aspects of repentance (and faith) are clearly stated in Scripture, unless one is absolutely determined (as some apparently are) to 'spin' it into some theological mismash synonym of the Roman Catholic concept of 'penance', and seems simple enough to grasp, to me. And I like stuff that is simple, so that I can understand it, cause I'm a simple-thinking person.

("Alright, y'all!! Pipe down up there in the peanut gallery!")

Why does this simple concept seem so hard to grasp, for so many, seemingly? I don't understand.

There are six instances in the NT, where another word, "metamelomai" is rendered as "repent". That word is also a combination word from the words "meta" and the middle voice of "melO" meaning "to care afterward" or 'regret' as per Strong's, Thayer's, and Wigram's, as well. That word is found in Heb. 7:21. where it is effectively the NT word that is roughly the equivalent of the Hebrew "nacham" (prop., "a sigh", or "to be eased" and is used in the NT quote of Ps. 110:4, as "not relent" (NKJV, "not repent" - KJV, DARBY; "not repent Himself" - ASV). This word is also found in Matt. 21:29, where the son regretted (NKJV, repented (KJV, repented himself - ASV, DARBY), and went on to the vineyard to work; in Matt. 21:32, where the people of did not "relent" (NKJV; repent - KJV, NIV; "repent yourselves" - DARBY, ASV; "feel remorse afterward" - NASB); in Matt. 27:3, where Judas "was remorseful" (NKJV, consistent with HCSB, NIV, NASB, DARBY; repented himself - KJV, ASV, YLT); and twice in II Cor. 7:8, where Paul says he does not (now) "regret" (NKJV, ASV, NASB, NIV, HCSB, DARBY, ESV; 'repent' - KJV, YLT) although he did (previously) regret his actions in his first letter?? to the Corinthians.

As a sidebar, the verb form of "metanoeO" is never found anywhere in any of the Epistles, aside from one instance in II Cor. 12:21.

One other word must be mentioned, here, the word "ametamelEtos" found only in Rom. 11:29 and II Cor. 7:10. This word carries the force of "irrevocable". (Strong's, Wigram's)

So I will end this little tirade with a passage that covers three of the four NT words that are rendered with some form of "repent". (KJV) See above for the definitions of the words.
    Have I proved myself, as and with Scripture to be clear? G'nite, all.

Ed

#122 EdSutton, Oct 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You certainly are cherry pickin on your definitions of metanoia:

metanoew metanoeo met-an-o-eh'-o
    from 3326 and 3539; to think differently]/b] or afterwards, i.e. reconsider (morally, feel compunction):--repent. (Strong's)
    Do you know what "feel compunction is???? Apparently not.

compunction;
    1 a: anxiety arising from awareness of guilt <compunctions of conscience> b: distress of mind over an anticipated action or result

You have a mental block Ed, that won't let you see the errors of your ways. You have to leave out the most important part of the definition to fit your theology...............;)

Linda64;
    You need to tell your friend at the "farmers market", that he needs to study the ancient Greek. He will tell you what ever you want to hear, to sell you merchandise.........:)

Why are you giving the definitions for regret. I see you use Psa. to support your theology, well Psa. also says this:

Psa 38:18 For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin.

#123 Brother Bob, Oct 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  4. OLD SCHOOL

OLD SCHOOL New Member

Ed,
    That is the beauty of the simplicity in Christ.
    They don't need a theological answer to something so spiritually basic.
    After being preached at and convicted about John 3:18 I knew what side of the fence I was on and I did something about it.
    I repented!
    Can't explain all the mechanics of it but I can explain the result's! Col. 2: 10-14
    I wish I had done it sooner.:godisgood: