1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is right with the church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Benjamin, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Yes, there are positive things happening. At least there are at our church. A small rural church with about 125 in attendance at Sunday morning worship.

* See new faces just about every Sunday. Not all stay, but a fairly steady trickle of them do stay and become members.

* Wednesday morning and evening Bible study is growing in attendance. It's a blessing when we have to setup another table and chairs in our Fellowship Hall. It's a blessing that attendance on Wed morning has grown to be almost as many as on Wed evening. At one time, it was a small handful when compared to Wednesday night.

* Choir membership is growing. May have to soon move the modesty panel forward, as it's getting croweded with only a couple of seats left behind it.

* Recently we had an "all hands on deck" funding raising event to burn our construction note. There were more than enough volunteers present to get the job done. Burned the note, early, with monies left in reserve for future needs.

Sure there are members who rarely if ever lend a hand. There are members who can't for health reasons and such. However, it seems there are always enough to get the job done, whether at church or when we go to aid a person in our community through Adults on Mission.

* A new young adults SS class is growing. We had a void in SS between older youth and "adults" that's now being filled.

It is nice not to dwell on negatives for a few minutes. We have our share of problems, too. It's far too easy to look for what's wrong, while failing to see what's right at the same time.

Thank you.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

And all this time I thought you were a universal church guy. Just kidding. LOL

Seriously, that one statement of yours in a few words has a ton of Biblical truth in it.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats wonderful...do they also require you to do things in the community? If so , please explain.
    Thanks

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church, despite what appears to the eyes, is beautiful, washed spotless and white as snow. Her beauty is Christ's beauty, and He sings of her beauty in the Song of Songs.

To those with regenerated eyes, there is no spot in her, and the scent of spikenard and saffron; calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense; myrrh and aloes, with all the chief spices accompany her.

Atheists and the unregenerated smell only death.

#25 Aaron, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are churches made up of?

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

They don't "require", but we do have community ministries. We have a bus ministry where each week children are picked up and brought to church whose parents will not bring them. They are from bad homes usually.
    We have a rest stop ministry in which a group of men go to various rest stops along the interstate and witness.
    We also have a motorcycle ministry in which the bikers go various places in a group and witness.
    Members of the choir go to nursing homes and sing most every week. Our pastor is also the chaplain of one of our nursing homes.

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are only a few verses that speak in general of the church in a general way....like the jury.

Most when they speak of the "church" are speaking of individuals who have entered the Kingdom of God by new birth. They confuse the Kingdom of God with the church.
    All lawful local assemblies are given direction how to function in scripture.
    They are to assemble for worship and service,the ordinances,one another ministry,under the rule of God ordained eldership.

7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

Lone ranger Christians cannot obey this command.There is no universal assembly...assembling anywhere until the LAST DAY.

The Kingdom of God is international and universal.It grows and expands in the midst of it's enemies...psa110.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Most of the joy in the christian life comes from this kind of service....unto the Lord. If this kind of service is accompanied by daily self examination and prayer....the health of the body and the individual Christians will grow and be noticed by a lost and dying world who need to know the Lord.:thumbs:

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good:applause:

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also a sure way of telling live churches from dead ones

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mortar, stone and wood?

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have to say, I'm very proud of the men in our church. They do not sit around and wait for women to teach or start ministries. It is God's purpose for male leadership in action.

I didn't realize how good I've got it until I started reading the threads here about sissy-fied churches. We do not have that, thank the Lord.

I don't have a husband to help me, but the men at church have offered. I don't have a husband to teach me scripture, but I have an awesome SS teacher (a man) to answer my questions. I have a lot to be thankful for!

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im jealous then! But perhaps the Older ones loose there testosterone & revert to He/She's. You will know it when the walls are repainted yellow & the new rugs color is see foam green. A sure sign is when they add potpourri to the mens room. :eek:

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL wise guy. :smilewinkgrin:

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The leadership in my church is the older ones! LOL

And I don't even put potpourri in my own bathroom! Yuck!

17. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am one of the "older ones" and we, the "older ones" have a vibrant missions outreach. Our church is growing (we just added a 4th service: 1) Traditional 2) Spanish Language 3) Contemporary 4) GYM (God, You, and Me) a "coffee house" format).

Every Thursday the "older ones" visit our Border Missions station ( https://www.facebook.com/BorderMissions?fref=ts ) and have not only met the physical needs of the very poor community on both sides of the border but also winning multitudes to Christ.

What's wrong with our church? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. :)

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Tom, then your very lucky. I was talking to Old Union Brother 2 days ago & he was telling me that his church group (Old Regulars) each week visit other like churches in the area. Whats the area I asked not being familar with Kentucky....he indicated there are 14 Churches in a 45 Minute drive of him. He then preceded to inform me that there is much more than that with SBC's, Free Willers & IFB's. Now if I was to put together SBC, IFB & Reformed Baptists w/i a 45 Minute drive of me, do you know how many Id come up with.....One, perhaps two if I stretched it to an SBC & I dont go to churches with Arminians .... so, really one. And because I have a problem with night blindness....that precludes me from evening & Wednesday night services.

There are plenty of apostate (anything goes) & catholics however....should I go that route?

#38 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 5, 2013
  19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I know next to nothing about you or the churches or the area in which you live I was not making a recommendation or even a suggestion.

I simply answered the question in the OP: What is right with the church?

What's wrong with our church? Nothing.

What' right with our church? Everything.

We keep the Great Commission and practice the Great Commandment.

:)

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what if they dont? you admit you know nothing about other parts of the country Right!

#40 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 5, 2013