1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by stilllearning, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I really don't sense that he is bragging from his word choice. I just think he doesn't understand the concept of sin.

I hope this dialogue will help him see sin for what it is and make him realize that he is riddled with it to the core every second of the day, every day until he gets to Glory- as is the case with all of us.

Thank God for the sufficiency of Christ!

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one in this forum is saying that it is advisable to sin. We are reacting to what you have said in various posts

I don't think you are meaning to sound like you are full of pride, but it sure comes across that way.

3. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi Tom Bryant

You said......
    Well it’s not hard, to make someone “sound prideful”, by only posting parts of what they say.

But a more important question is, why do you(and others), allow yourselves to sin “every day”?
    Sin is a choice; Sin is a decision that we make; So why do it every day?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Now some people might point out, that I have said that I do sin(just not that often), therefore if sin is a choice, than why do I sin at all.

The answer is, every one of us have sin in our lives right now, but we can not deal with our sin, until the LORD reveals it to us(as we expose ourselves to God’s Word),
    (This is one facet of Spiritual growth.)

But the idea of allowing an “acceptable level” of sin in our lives(because everybody else does), should not be acceptable to us and will come between us and the LORD........
    Psalms 66:18
    “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear [me]:”

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is talking about an acceptable level of sinning. It is all of our desire to not sin.

I don't seem to be the only one who has read your posts and think it shows a certain amount of pride. You say it is not. I can't know your heart. Only the Spirit can know that and reveal it.

I've read alot of biographies of believers down through the ages. Just have never read or heard one talking about how little they sin. They are almost always writing about the nearer they get to God, the more aware they are of their sinful nature.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I tell you what - the older I get the more I see my own sin.

I am an awful sinner. I don't doubt that I sin every day. A fleeting lustful thought, a moment of worry, a flash of anger at another driver, an instant of discontentment. These and other things are parts of my life that disgust me, but there are there, and probably daily.

I am a great sinner, but I have a great Saviour!

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

AMEN!

Just today this was my reading in Valley of Vision:

THOU RIGHTEOUS AND HOLY SOVEREIGN,...

Save me from myself,

from the artifices and deceits of sin, from the treachery of my perverse nature, from denying thy charge against my offenses, from a life of continual rebellion against thee, from wrong principles, views, and ends; for I know that all my thoughts, affections, desires and pursuits are alienated from thee.

#26 Mexdeaf, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
  7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

:) I love that book (duh :) )

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

None of us has to sin, but we all do. If you drive over the speed limit, that is sin, you are disobeying the authorities God set over us. If you take even a minute extra break at work, you are stealing from your employer.

It is difficult to watch TV and not sin when they show very attractive women who may be scantily dressed. I try to be careful not to watch too much TV because of this very problem. But it is very easy to have wrong and sinful imaginations when you see this.

I don't want to sin, and I make effort not to sin, but I still find myself sinning often.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow...so to point out the difficulty of living sinlessly makes one satan? Just wow...

Agreed. What good comes from it?

Right you are. "Sin," (and its related terms) is translated from many Greek words. There's lots of struggles to be had with sin!

Excellently put.

It seems that stilllearning has done what many of us have done, or do...that is to spend time focusing on the first part of Jesus' examples from the Sermon on the Mount ("You have heard it said...") but forgetting the second part ("...but I tell you...")

Jesus raised the bar pretty high. Far too high for me to boast about every day, every other day, etc.

10. stilllearning

Thank you all, very much for the detailed lists of sins; After all the OP’s title is, “What is sin?”
    (Out of all of these, C4K’s list seems to hit closest to home with myself.)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Now, I can more clearly see, how very difficult it can be, to honestly say that I do not sin “every day”:
    (But I am not going to stop trying, to avoid every one of these, as much as I can.)

Thanks again

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I find that if I focus on righteous living- focusing on pleasing the Lord, rather than on "not sinning" it works better for me.

12. stilllearning

Hello Mexdeaf

For me what seems to help, is “keeping my eyes on eternity”:
    (Remembering, that one of these days, I will stand before the Lord and be judged and then rewarded for faithfulness.)

This seems to be the motivation, the Bible places before us...........
    1 Corinthians 15:58
    “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.”

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ayup!:thumbsup:

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I don't know about you but my sin bothers me. (Even the little stuff to us is of great offense to God.) But, I think it would bother me more if I were only bothered occasionally and I would certainly worry if I were never bothered. It wouldn't see it as a sign that something was right in my life but I believe a sign that something is terribly wrong.

15. stilllearning

I agree.....

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Unfortunately I find that other people's sins bother me more than my own sins. Sigh... I guess I'll never get this sinless perfection thing down.:eek:

17. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

Excellent quote, I love it!! So true. :thumbs:

I can't wait to be done with this flesh nature!!

Darren

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Absolutely - TRUE !!! No humanity can read your brain, but only God knows your thoughts. Thoughts are worse than visible action.

19. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Not easy for us to handle ourselves STRICTLY, but we often fail our holy life when one sin hits us. To go to work is to speed on road from home to work often -- avoid being late at work. Rarely? Daily? Conscience?