1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Is Soul Sleep?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by tyndale1946, Jul 2, 2017.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a teaching called Soul Sleep... What is it exactly and is it scriptural?... What happens to the soul according to scripture at the point of each believers death?... I discovered this article that can explain it better than I can because, this is how I believe it and I'm sure there are many on here that see it the same way... At the point of death there is sadness for those loved ones left behind but for believers there is?... I don't want to spoil it, read the article and find out... Brother Glen:)

Awake beyond the Grave: What the Bible Says about Soul Sleep

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1 Thess 4 is a great place to see it.
    13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

At death the spirit goes to God in a dormant state.

John 11
    11 This He said, and after that He *said to them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I go, so that I may awaken him out of sleep.” 12 The disciples then said to Him, “Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will recover.” 13 Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that He was speaking of literal sleep. 14 So Jesus then said to them plainly, “Lazarus is dead,

2 Cor 5:1-8 tells us we have TWO bodies - the one we have here on earth that is decaying - and the one that will be given us at the 1Cor 15 resurrection - at the coming of Christ. the middle statethat is BETWEEN those two events - is a dormant one - the spirit unclothed having no body and dormant.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your "link" says this --

==========================================
    Lewis Sperry Chafer refers to 2 Corinthians 5:1–5 when he explains "the concept of an intermediate body between death and resurrection":

At the present time believers are in an "earthly tent" (v. 1), but they long for their "heavenly dwelling" (v. 2). References to believers after death but before resurrection all seem to suggest that they have a body, as in the case of Lazarus (Luke 16:19–25). When Moses and Elijah met with Christ on the Mount of Transfiguration, they were represented as having bodies (Matt. 17:1–3; Mark 9:4; Luke 9:30). In Revelation 6:9–11 [and 7:13–17] the martyred dead . . . are represented as wearing robes and being before the throne of God. Though full revelation was not given in Scripture concerning the exact characteristics of these bodies, apparently they will not be suited for eternity for they will be replaced by resurrection bodies.3

This conscious, intermediate state is not an intermediate cleansing place between heaven and earth, like purgatory, a concept that is never found in the Bible and contradicts the gospel. Rather, it's a temporary body,

======================================== but that would be the "traditions of man"

So then what does the actual BIBLE say in 2 Cor 5

For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven, 3 inasmuch as we, having put it on, will not be found naked. 4 For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life.

2 Cor 5 does not tell us of THREE bodies - only TWO.
    And the second one is NOT temporary - rather it is a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens -- nothing temporary about it in the actual text!

1 Cor 15
    51 Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “Death is swallowed up in victory.

so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life. 2 Cor 5

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Soul sleep is a false teach, that those such as the SDA hold with, and teaches that when physical death happens, the soul/spirit also goes to sleep, and wakes up at time of second coming of Christ.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sleep there is a metaphor for physical death though, as once the body dies, the spirit of the saved goes back to God!

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not true for those reading "Bible details" -- the Bible says "our FRIEND Lazarus sleeps - I go that I may wake HIM" -- it is the PERSON that sleeps. not his "finger". The body does not sleep it "decays to dust".j

Bible details matter. Simply "quoting yourself" is not sola-scriptura-anything.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ignoring every single detail in these two key texts - one "might" be able to carefully cling to tradition "anyway"

1 Thess 4
    is a great place to see it.
    13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

John 11
    11 This He said, and after that He *said to them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I go, so that I may awaken him out of sleep.” 12 The disciples then said to Him, “Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will recover.” 13 Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that He was speaking of literal sleep. 14 So Jesus then said to them plainly, “Lazarus is dead,

2 Cor 5:1-8 tells us we have TWO bodies - the one we have here on earth that is decaying - and the one that will be given us at the 1Cor 15 resurrection - at the coming of Christ. the middle state that is BETWEEN those two events - is a dormant one - the spirit unclothed having no body and dormant.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's the opposite of 2 Cor. 5:8. :D

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only if 2 Cor 5:8 is paraphrased instead of read.

10. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually Jon I was thinking of this verse from Revelation, how does your soul cry in a loud voice to the Lord when you are sleeping, given a white robe and told to rest for a little season?... Sounds to me like somebody woke up:D... Btw I like your post... Bob Ryan I hear what your are saying I just disagree... Brother Glen:)

Revelation 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sleep in the NT is a known metaphor for physical death.... And paul was VERY sure that as soon as his head was chopped off, he would be in the presence of Jesus!

12. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, if the souls were conscious after death, don't you think that under the altar is a strange place for them to be spending their afterlife? :Biggrin Revelation is a lot of symbolism.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, but main point of that is that those who died in Christ, are with Him now in heaven in some form, awaiting the Second Coming event!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moses was still alive at time of Christ as a spirit, correct?

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Is Soul Sleep?

A lie!

16. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm curious as to the point of being in heaven when we are promised the resurrection? Seems like a split entity if just the spirit part is walking around conscious. The resurrected body will be spiritual. What's the difference if there is "soul sleep" (which I don't like to use as we are souls, not some intangible part within a physical body)? A person would not know the difference. From their stance, they are immediately with Christ. What I am saying is we have to be a tad more Einsteinian about time when we have time here on earth vs eternity.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus stated that we would be with Him, and He did take those in paradise back with Him to heaven when he rose again!

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IN Matt 22 Jesus said that "God is NOT the God of the dead" and that the ONLY solution for God being the the God of the dead - is a bodily resurrection of the DEAD.

In Moses' case that is what we have - as the book of Jude refers to the book the "Assumption of Moses" where Moses is bodily raised from the Dead.

Moses, Elijah and Christ stand together in glorified form in Matt 17 on the mount of transfiguration. Not as wispy spirits - but they are all in the same form - glorified - but having bodies. all three

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

1 Thess 4 is a great place to see it.

John 11

2 Cor 5:1-8 tells us we have TWO bodies - the one we have here on earth that is decaying - and the one that will be given us at the 1Cor 15 resurrection - at the coming of Christ. the middle state that is BETWEEN those two events - is a dormant one - the spirit unclothed having no body and dormant.[/QUOTE]

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

[/QUOTE]

Yep read everyone of those verses no where does it say the soul is asleep