1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Amillennialist Worldview?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Ulsterman, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Premillennialists generally view the world as spiritually and morally decaying towards the end of the age, and postmillennialists believe things will improve as the gospel dominates, ushering in the kingdom. How do amillennialists view the world's spiritual and moral evolution?

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

It seems that there are always those, in every generation, who think that "this" is the worst, most decadent generation. As such they see themselves as living in the "last days".

I find amillenialism to be more appreciative of the big picture.

3. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Which is ...?

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There will be both places, times and people where "good" is thriving while at the same time where "evil" is thriving until the Second Coming of Jesus. One generation is not necessarially more evil or more righteous then the previous. This pattern (if you can call it that) will continue until Jesus returns.

The focus is patient endurance and faithfulness to Jesus until he returns regardless of who is on the temple mount, what president is in office or what microchip may be implanted somewhere. As previously stated it keeps the big picture in mind without cherry picking verses out of the bible to prove Hitler is the anti-christ or that we somehow are exempt from tribulation.

5. mnw

mnw New Member

Can an answer be given about what you do believe instead of sound bites against what you don't believe?

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We believe that things will worsen because the love of many shall wax cold.

Mat 24:12

And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

We believe that the children or God will see the tribulations but not the wrath of God. The tribulations will get so bad that those days will be shortened for the elects sake.

Mat 24:22

And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

We believe the second coming of Chirst is to do two things, receive His church or bride up to meet Him in the air and to pass judgement on the world of sinners, the devil, those who maketh abomination and those who maketh a lie. They shall stand before the Great White Throne and be judged and cast into a lake of fire and brimstone where they shall be punished forever and ever.

As far as the world condtitions they will continue to get worse. Father against son and Mother against daughter. We believe they will kill God’s children and think they do God a service.

A few word about the 1000 years.

We believe in the 1000 year reign but that it has already happened. I personally believe that it ended with Christ dying on the Cross and then the earth turned dark and men began to fear to the point that they began to confess Jesus. Even the soldiers said "truly this is the Son of God". He said I shook the earth one time and I will shake it again. The fear of God is the only thing that will cause Satan to flee. I believe when Jesus died that the Earth turned dark and there were earthquakes and even confessions the same as it will be when He returns again when every eye shall behold Him and every tongue shall confess.

Amillennism is really not the correct term for us, for that suggests there is no 1000 year reign but we believe there was a thousand year reign. It Just that we believe that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years. Also, a thousand years is as yesterday according to scripture.

2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Psa 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight [are but] as yesterday when it is past, and [as] a watch in the night.

We believe it will be a quick work the Lord will do when He comes back. We believe Christ has already established His Kingdom and its within us.

Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

We don’t even believe Jesus will set foot on the earth again but we will meet Him in the air.

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

I could write much but this certainly will cross enough minds.

7. mtompset

mtompset Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings,

I disagree with the summation of what pre-mil's and post-mil's believe. Prior to re-evaluating my eschatology, I was a post-trib, pre-mil. People made rash generalizations about post-trib, which I did not believe, though I previously held to his return after the tribulation. Similarly, I'm concerned that you group all post-mil's into the world will get better and better category.

In my re-evaluation of my eschatology, I realized my assumption about the millenium being on the earth made no sense if you view Rev 19 and 20 as out-of-order visions that John saw. "And then I saw" being an indicator of a new clip, with no information about location or order. This freed me up to look at the possibility of the millenium being in heaven, NOT earth.

The next question that must be considered is: When does Christ's reign begin? We know that His Kingdom is forever. So, once it starts, it won't end. I believe His reigning began upon His bodily return to Heaven. If Jesus reigns NOW (Matthew 28:18), then then 1000* years has already begun. * indicates, it is a fixed, finite period of time, but the exact duration may not match 1000 years in a literal sense.

But all this aside, how in the world can ANYONE (pre-mil, post-mil, a-mil) assume anything other than conditions will worsen?! That's the only widely supportable stance. As such, I really think there IS a disconnect between one's eschatological view and one's view of the world -- not necessarily worldview.

The motivation for missions is different.
    Sample Amillenialist: "WE'RE MISSING THE MILLENIUM! It's the end when Christ returns. Save people! Save them fast!"
    Sample Pre-trib, Pre-mil: "THE TRIBULATION IS COMING! God's going to remove His Holy Spirit from Earth. Save them while there is still time! Save them fast!"
    Sample Post-trib: "HARDSHIP IS COMING! Only God can help us in our times of need. Only He can help us endure to the end. Save people! Save people fast!"

God in His mercy let's us have our perspectives in this life. I would hope that regardless of pre-mil, post-mil, amil we can agree:
    Jesus will return
    Once returned, there is no more chance for salvation of the lost
    There are many people that don't know what God has done for them
    It is our loving responsibility to share the Good News of Jesus' atoning death and resurrection assurance with them.

GPML,
    Mark

8. Mildbanter

Mildbanter New Member

Amil believes that Jesus will return.

As an Amil you can believe the world is getting worst, staying the same, or whatever.

Warmly
    Mildbanter

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In light of the people on this board, most pre=mil, pre-trib. I chose to use terms and reference points that would stand in contrast to what others already believe to be the truth.

The question was for a worldview, not a theological discourse.