1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Basis of Your Election?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by thatbrian, Dec 15, 2017.

1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you get at the essence of what separates the (true) Arminian from the Calvinist, you see that it is the basis of election, as both believe in the doctrine of election.

The Arminian believes that God elected him because God first saw that the Arminian would choose Him.

The Calvinist believes that God, exercised His will, and according to His good pleasure, chose him.

The former view is conditional, based on men's actions. The latter is not.

I ask you, which view leaves room for boasting in self? Which view encourages boasting in self? In which view is boasting in self the inescapable outcome?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    there is a middle voice option;

Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

HankD

3. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not for the Arminian, and that's what we are discussing here.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i believe many/most "Arminian" types would have no problem with the Isaiah passage.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not the point, or what I quoted from your post.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK but its still my contribution.

There is a middle voice option which is acceptable.

HankD

7. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish that it addressed the OP.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it does.

you said:
    'I ask you, which view leaves room for boasting in self? Which view encourages boasting in self? In which view is boasting in self the inescapable outcome?"

IMO, An Arminian type of a meeting of the minds, specifically at the request of God eliminates the "boasting in self" especially after "reasoning" with God at His tutelage.

HankD

9. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm discussing the classical Arminian position. You are espousing a Pelagian view above.

The classical Arminian position is that God, "looked down the corridors of time and saw who would choose Him, then, He elected them", which creates a condition for salvation. That is the point of this thread. And, it asks that question only to (true) Arminians and Calvinists.

I've kept it narrow because I want to argue the (true) Arminian's own doctrine which discusses why he is among the elect.

#9 thatbrian, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it does

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The op assumes this so called "arminian" position without any evidence that it is in fact the " classical arminian position" therefore the op is weak at best and fallacious at worst.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who are these Arminians on this board anyway.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here is where criticism of this so-called Arminian position fails.

Let's break it down.

"God looks down the corridors of time". OK, and where is God when he is looking down the corridors of time? What is God's reference point? He's looking from eternity past, is He not? I think that is how most people envision this scenario.

"Saw who would choose him". For the sake of argument let's just accept this.

"then He elected them" Ah, here is the rub. "Then". When is God making this election? Well, for the Calvinist argument against this analogy to work God is making this election at the point in time that the Arminian is choosing to believe. BUT, God is not observing it "then", He is observing it from eternity past. So God is actually electing this Arminian from eternity past, because that is where/when He is at when he makes the observation.

And we have yet another strawman argument from thatbrian. Really, you should get help for this affliction.

With all that said the "God looks down through the corridors of time" is a bad analogy and one that I don't hold to. Most of these election arguments leave out the frame of reference of time when discussing election.

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The very definition of a strawman argument. Present a case that no one adheres to and then attack it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My contention is that there is not a "true" Arminian" position, neither a Calvinistic "true" position in that it is an either or situation.

This is what I am challenging, that your basic "either or" view may beflawed on more than one front such as the middle voice option.

or:

Ephesians 1
    9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
    10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
    11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

We were not there when God drew up the criteria for the selection of the elect. He certainly does not seem to be a God who does things willy-nilly.
    Why the did He choose the elect? what did He see in them? what was his criteria/

All we are told is that it was for His own purpose and the selection was made after the counsel of His own will.

So we cannot know for sure

We also have a dilemma;
    A logical train of human thought according to calvinism is that arminianism destroys the sovereignty of God (or so we are told) because man's choice overrides God's sovereignty.

a logical train of human thought according to arminianism is that in calvinism God becomes the author of evil (or so we are told) since He must either declare or decree everything including evil.

So in my view it is equally as likely that the selection criteria was His foreknowledge (as defined by Arminius) or a willy-nilly (or some other better defined criteria, possibly unknown to us) position.

Personally I have decided to wait until I can question Him face-to-face.

To be forthright I lean to a grace (not according to Arminian foreknowledge) position but not to one of which I could dogmatically commit.

HankD

#15 HankD, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  16. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a conversation I am willing to have in this thread, Hank. You are off topic, so I would ask as a courtesy that you refrain from derailing this thread more than it already has been.

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Election based totally upon the divine Will of God!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great way to have nobody talk to you Brian! Set up a straw man target then knock it down then insult people who are attempting to reason with you :Rolleyes

19. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's grace!