1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is the Best Rendition of Rom.1:5?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Aug 5, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I'm sympathetic with his view of rendering this seemingly difficult phrase as literal, "for obedience of faith," but I can't help noticing that in his commentary, however, he leans toward the genitive as subjectives, "obedience faith produces."

2. Is that the impression you get? I will pick up your comments tomorrow, God's will. :sleeping_2:

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, in his footnote on p. 68 he says subjective genitive, and cites several scholars.

I think a key here is in interpretation. I've thought that the obedience of faith talked about in 1:5 is that of the Apostle Paul. However, it could be that of those who obey faith, which might be the subjective genitive. In 16:26 it seems more obvious that it is the faith of those believing through evangelism rather the obedience of the evangelizer himself.

Sleep well.

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I can appreciate the argument for the subjective and objective positions. When I was teaching myself Greek 10 years ago I started with Romans - OK maybe not the best choice!

But I read that first chapter over and over and over and read every commentary I could get. I recall Fitzmyer and Cranfield favor the appositional genitive - and their arguments made sense.

Today my bias is towards a synchronic linguistic approach. Here I so wish that I (like John of Japan) could really speak a second or third language! But because of that I tend to look more at context rather than minutiae of what various commentators have said about the "nuances" of this or that word. This seems only half of the question when faced with a text written by different, non-native Greek speakers.

Have a good day all!

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can identify with this. The first book I translated into Japanese was John, but then I went with Romans next, and the first book our committee worked over was Romans. Whew--no wonder Peter thought Paul was hard to understand! :BangHead:
    I think this passage illustrates the translation principle that if possible ambiguities should be preserved in the receptor language. That way the reader is allowed to make his or her own interpretive choices.

Of course literary translation is different. There is a fairly recent theory that I kind of like that a translation of a literary work should stand on its own as a literary work. Therefore the translator in that case would be considered an artist as well as the original author. But, as great as the Bible is as literature, it is still inspired by God. :type:

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Thanks, I did sleep well for most of the time. Your comments tell me that you favor the Subjective at this point.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. John, as your correctly observed in another thread, Translation should be approached as an art and not as a science.

2. Scripture is first the Word of God then literature. An excellent little book on the Bible as literature is one by Leland Ryken, How To Read The Bible as Literature.

3. At any rate, we must utilize the scholarly works of others as you wrestle with translation issues.

4. We must weigh the arguments for a particular choice over against other possibilities. This is what true scholarship is all about.

7. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Translation should be approached as an art and not as a science.

Very true. And at times I think many of the older works, while written by men of superb scholardhip tend to treat it more as a science.

I have always tried to think of any translation passage as an excerpt from actual speech. This has led me to value context more than a lexicon description of a word's meaning. This, I think, one area where comtemporary synchronic linguistics has brought something good to the table.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, still hanging in there. And looking back at our Japanese translation, I see that the committee went with the subjective genetive on 1:5.