1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Biblical definition of Worship

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Sep 5, 2010.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Absolutely.

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you all for the input. A related question: how does "worship" differ from "praise"? Are they different?

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

I understand praise to be a subset of worship--not that we're not commanded always to do it.

However, there are parts of worship--such as repentance and confession, that I also think of as subsets.

Maybe that's my imposition of the definitions.

4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's part of what I'm trying to get to the bottom of - is "worship" indeed an intersection of all subsets? Does the Bible support that notion? When we say that we "have a worship service" on Sunday morning, are we using contrived words or biblical words?

It seems that the John 4 text (Samaritan woman, Jesus) supports that idea that whatever was going on "in the mountain" and "in Jerusalem" was indeed "worship", and this "worship" could very well be a general description of the entire "service" of the temple.

But can this word "worship" apply in the same way to a New Testament Church "service"? In other words, does Jesus' admonition to worship "in spirit and truth" make worship an individual act as opposed to a corporate act?

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I would say no.