1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the difference…

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by usingmybrain, Aug 9, 2006.

1. usingmybrain

usingmybrain New Member

…between palms, hymns, and spiritual songs?

Are they different in lyrical content, or tune, or style? What? No agenda, I really want to know what you think.

Tad

2. usingmybrain

usingmybrain New Member

I am new here. I have posted for several years on another board but, am getting pretty fed up with it. Anyways, it's the same here as there. Serious questions get little response and questions about goofy stuff get a ton of attention.
    :smilewinkgrin:
    Tad

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Tad, don't take it personally. It is the nature of an Internet discussion board. Some topics will grab someone's attention, others (that seem important to the original poster) don't get a second post. It happens, but is not anything against you.

MP

4. usingmybrain

usingmybrain New Member

Oh....I know. Like I said, I have been doing this quite a while on another board (I’ve noticed a few here that also post there). LOL...to tell you the truth the reason I ask the question is that I am teaching on worship Sunday night and want to get the wisdom of those here. LOL

Tad

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most well-received commentators acknowledge that psalms, hymns and spiritual songs were distinctive styles. Exactly what the difference between them was, is not known.

Psalms are hymns of the Jews, the Book of Psalms. They were called psalms after the psaltery, a harp-like instrument employed by the Jews.

Hymn is a Greek word meaning song of praise. Hymns were generally solemn as opposed to paeans which were exultant and fervent, and dithyrambs which were wildly exuberant.

Spiritual songs are songs of any arrangement that don't elicit any mood or emotion inconsistent with Christian character.

6. usingmybrain

usingmybrain New Member

Thanks....

But, I didn't get to check this until Monday morning. Thanks anyway. I do appreciate it.

Tad

7. usingmybrain

usingmybrain New Member

That's interesting. So, a love song to my wife would be a "spiritual" song?

Thanks

Tad

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're speaking of styles, not content, and so was Paul. Paul didn't have to say, "Hymns to God the Father," because the Ephesians and Colossians were rational enough to understand that He wasn't endorsing hymns to Apollo or Zeus.

So when Paul said "spiritual songs," the content was already understood. He was specifying the manner, style, decorum, etc. of our interaction when speaking of Christ and the Gospel. He contrasts it with the excesses sought by the world.

#8 Aaron, Aug 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006