1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the difference?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by npetreley, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

If you thank the LORD that you responded, then you are (correctly) crediting Him with giving you your ability to respond.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You still just don't get it, do you?

The gospel is the power of God unto salvation. The words of Christ's message are what we are going to be judged by on that final day. The WORD is what gave us the ability to respond and the WORD is from God. Everyone who hears the word responds to it in one way or the other. Whosoever has the ability to respond in belief or in unbelief. Where does scripture teach otherwise?

2. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

'If you thank the LORD that you responded, then you are (correctly) crediting Him with giving you your ability to respond.'

Ray: In John 6:44 Jesus gives honor to the Father as to calling sinners to Himself; we most often honor the Holy Spirit as to bringing us to our need of Christ. In John 12:32 the apostle reminds us as to just how inclusive this call is toward a fallen human race. In this verse Jesus was not giving a 'two thumbs up' to John Calvin's Institues of the Christian Religion.

Once the saving message of the Cross is heard the Holy Spirit--'He will reprove the world of sin, of the righteousness of Christ, and of a coming judgment.' [paraphrase of John 16:7-11] The Spirit of God ministers the truth to the sinner and that person will either receive the truth unto life or reject it unto eternal destruction in Hell. [John 5:40 & Acts 7:51]

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Right. So, like I said, if you had chosen of your own free will to reject it, you would have had no one to blame but yourself for being damned.

But you chose to receive it of your own free will, so you have no one to credit but yourself for making the right choice. You may credit God for making salvation possible, and you may credit God for offering it to you, but you were the one who made the "right" choice. So praise Ray for responding "correctly" to the ministry of the Spirit of God, and all the rest of the glory goes to God.

4. Skandelon

"ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS."

So by Nick's logic we need to praise Abraham and give him all the "credit" for his righteousness if this verse is accurate. :rolleyes:

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point of that was directed at the question "how is it that one chooses life and one death - when God calls all - draws all - enables all".

The answer points out the fact that Matt 7 "shows" us that ALL do not accept. So it does not matter if we "don't know how free will works" so that can "Assign to some environmental factor" the reason that one person accepts life and another rejects it - given that all are "enabled" to respond to the Gospel.

In Christ,

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    (Off topic -- npetreley - do you have some other name like - Nick or Pete or something I can spell?)

I find it hard to believe that you do not see that "some choosing life" while "others choose rebellion" has everything to do with choosing while it also ELIMINATES your need to "blame the creator" or "blame the depravity" of the being who is choosing.

But - I guess we can pretend.

You mean... like the Angels were able to choose?

(Or does this question already leave you lost on how this is related?)

You mean like - "what is it about the 2/3 group that inclines them to choose not to rebell"???

(Or is "this" the part where you don't see that choosing is choosing?? And that positive "respond" is the same as "positive" respond and positive choice??)

Just curious how you are making the "break" between those two identical issues of "choice".

Indeed. For the Calvinist "premise" is that no one "really chooses anything" rather "Something MAKES them choose". You are asking "What is MAKING one choose one thing and then MAKING another choose something else"

Basically you are unnable to objectively adopt the Arminian model and then "evaluate" it to see how it works - because you are still clinging to the Calvinist doctrine that "people only do what they are MADE to do" so that IF one chooses to respond to the Gospel - then something "made them" do it and the Calvinist question will always be "So what MAKES one choose the gospel and what MAKES another not choose it?" -- ie what MAKES the difference? (And don't say Free Will because that it Arminian's "reason" for differences in choice - not Calvinist).

In the Calvinist model - God makes the person choose either by MAKING some part of them do it - or by MAKING events around them that forces them to choose a certain way.

Since we are taking the Arminian preference - then nothing "MAKES them inclined to choose one way or another" rather they are CHOOSING as they do - of their own "Free will" and not because something "MADE THEM" choose it.

It's an Arminian model - not a Calvinist one.

In Christ,

Bob

7. Skandelon

The confusion comes to Calvinists because there were some people during the 1st century who were not able to respond to the gospel.

Calvinists would have us believe that these people couldn't believe because they were born Totally Depraved and not chosen, but that is not what the text says. The scripture teaches that the Jews BECAME hardened after years of rebellion and that their judicial hardening was temporary and for the purpose of ingrafting the Gentiles. Calvinists fail to see that and thus interpret scriptures speaking about the Jews, who were unable to respond to the gospel for a time, as a doctrine for the nature of all men. That is their blindspot.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed it is the "goodness of God" that leads you to repentance.. God is not willing for "any to perish but for ALL to come to repentance".

But the same light that warms the heart of one like wax - is hardening the heart of another like clay. Not because God is rejecting one but because one chooses to fall on the rock and be broken - while the other chooses to resist - and the rock falls on them and crushes them.

Same rock - but the person choses and different response.

As God said of Christ in John 1 - "HE CAME to HIS OWN and HIS OWN received Him not".

They were "the chosen" and they did not receive Him who chose THEM.

In Christ,

Bob

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You danced around the question once again, and ended up with the same tautology. You say nothing MAKES a person choose to accept the Gospel, and nothing MAKES a person to choose to reject it. They choose one way or another because they are able to choose one way or another. Thus with your attempt at seeming to refute the premise with a tautology, you simply reaffirm it.

So I repeat my question in what is likely to be a vain attempt to get an answer. It is a vain attempt because no Arminian is able to answer this question without ascribing to himself partial credit for his own salvation. So dance away, but here is the question once again:

Given that one chooses of his own free will whether to accept or reject the Gospel, and assuming NOTHING MAKES or FORCES the person to choose one way or another, what is it about one person that INCLINES him to choose to accept the Gospel, and INCLINES the other to choose to reject the Gospel? What is the difference between the two that leads one to one decision, and leads the other to a contrary decision?

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

So what you're saying is that there are two different natures of man's heart. One man has a heart like wax, and another has a heart like clay. So when the same love of God (warmth) shines on these two different men, one is melted, and the other hardened.

Now I must ask, who or what made their hearts different? If the answer is free will, then you have once again retreated into a different level of the same question. What inclined one person to choose to develop a heart of wax, versus another, who chose of his own free will to develop a heart of clay? What made the difference?

If it is God who made their hearts differently, then why did God make men with hearts of two different natures, one of wax and the other of clay?

And how does that square with what Paul says in Romans? Paul does not ask, "Does not God have the right to make out of two different lumps of clay some vessels for honor and some for dishonor?" He asks, "Does not God have the right to make out of the same lump..."

11. Skandelon

This is getting old Nick.

Question:What MAKES a person choose to accept the gospel?
    Answer: The revealed truth of the gospel itself allows one to accept it as truth. The gospel is quite powerful and persuasive so why should we have a problem saying that it is the CAUSE for us believing? What was the cause of you believing George Washington was our first president? Because you were told the truth. I'm over simplify, I know, but its to show the point that there doesn't have to be some misterious inward working going on here. Have you considered the possiblity that God actually did create men with a volition, an ability to think and reason? Is that just too difficult for your mind to accept is possible for our soveriegn Lord to create?

Question: What MAKES a person choose to reject it?

Answer: Nothing "MAKES" him except himself. Don't you agree with that? Surely you don't think its God who MAKES him reject, its him.

By the way, you never answer the question. If Paul doesn't have a problem crediting man for his faith, why do you?

12. Skandelon

Just like you will dance around or ignore my questions under the unfounded premise that I'm "deceptive." :rolleyes:

Again, let me remind you that you have a similiar problem. Your system can't get around ascribing God partial blame for man's condemnation and sin. Further, you still have the issue that some believers are "BETTER" than others. Why is that? Why are some rewarded greater than others if men have no part? Can you boast for having a better grasp of God's plan for salvation? If not, why did God grant that grasping ability to you and not to most believers? I guess you have reason to boast for God giving you superior knowledge of scripture? :rolleyes:

We can all create problems for the logic of the others system, just as I'm sure we could create problems for the revealed truth, but that doesn't make it stop being true.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wrong. The fact that you're not listening does not require that I "dance around the subject". If you would pay attention to the details of what is said - you would "See" that the Calvinist "assumption" that "something has to MAKE people do what they do" is NOT the ARminian assumption - it is the Calvinist one.

You pretend to be objectively looking at the Arminian position - as you keep insisting on the Calvinist fallacy that "you only do what you are MADE to do".

Do you not "get the point yet"? To objectively review the Arminian model - you have to use ITS views not Calvinism INSERTED into the middle of it.

I never claimed that a bogus calvinist-arminian hybrid model would work (though you keep insisting that this is all there is).

In Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes that is what I say - because if I argued "People ONLY choose what they are MADE to choose" I would be a Calvinist.

Is that so hard to understand??

This point just isn't that hard to get.

In Christ,

Bob

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. Nothing "About the person" in terms of genetic material - environment - God "making Him do something" etc is the "determination factor". AS hard as this is going to be for you to accept.

#2. I never said that free will was inherent in each individual - just that God sovereignly and supernaturaly causes it to exist EVEN for sinners.

#3. The point of the Angels has already been well established. 1/3 of the perfect sinless loving Agnels chose rebellion while 2/3 of the sinless, perfect, loving Angels chose life and obedience. As hard as this is for you to accept - it happened.

What "INCLINED them to choose obedience"??

What "INCLINED 1/3 of them to choose rebellion"??

Answer - they did not CHOOSE because they were pre-disposed to error or created with INCLINATION to error. Nothing "MADE THEM" choose as they did.

Period.

Nothing "MAKES" them choose error.

Nothing "LEADS them" to choose error.

This is not a Calvinist model.

As hard as it is for Calvinists - nothing about the way God created 2/3's of the Angels made them "BETTER CHOOSERS" than the 1/3 that chose rebellion. Nothing about the way God made them - determined that they had to choose life while the others had to choose death.

As hard as it may seem - there is no way to pin it on God.

In Christ,

Bob

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You don't seem to be reading my posts at all. I am starting with the assumption of free will, not a Calvinist one of election. People choose one thing or another according to their "free will". What I'm asking you is very simple. What is it about a person that inclines one to choose to accept the Gospel, and another to choose to reject it?

I'm not asking what MAKES them choose one or the other, but what INCLINES them to choose one or the other? One chooses according to one's inclination.

When offered pizza, I am inclined to accept it because I like pizza. And I can guess several reasons WHY I like pizza. I grew up eating it (I'm used to it), I may have a genetic predisposition toward liking some of the flavors, I've had many pleasant experiences while eating pizza, etc. Nobody MAKES me eat pizza, I choose whether or not I eat it of my own free will. But I can tell you at least SOME of the reasons why I am inclined to choose to eat pizza.

Now -- once again (not that I think you'll ever answer this): What I'm asking you is very simple. What is it about a person that inclines one to choose to accept the Gospel, and another to choose to reject it? What inclines one to choose to accept it, and what inclines the other to reject it?

17. Skandelon

BobRyan,

What Nick is missing is the fact that men have the ability to reason and to think for themselves. He fails to notice in scripture that Christ calls men to consider the cost of being his disciple and that God himself calls us to come reason together with him.

If our reason, our choices, weren't a factor in our relationship then why is it mentioned at all? The entire meaning of the text is undermined and become complete non-sense when the human variable is removed.

Some Calvinists attempt in vain to keep it intact because they reconize this truth, but it becomes mere symantics. They say things like, "Me are able, just not willing," or they create "paradoxes" and explain them by saying, "His ways are higher" or whatever it takes to maintain some sense to the obvious meaning of the text.

But you are correct. They approach this question with the presumption that something must MAKE a man choose one thing or the other.

What Nick is trying to get you to say is, "The difference is the man." So then he can say, "SEE! You believe in works salvation and you have room to boast." But the problem is that Paul NEVER teaches that men could boast of their faith. He teaches that men could boast of their works of the law and he always holds faith as the antithisis for works, not the equivelant.

Paul, quoting the OT, has no problem crediting Abraham with righteousness based upon HIS faith, yet Calvinists do.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is why I keep bringing up the 1/3 vs the 2/3 among the angels. So he can see that his claim that "it is something about the way they were made" will be tossed out.

Just no way to blame this on the maker -- but they can't stop saying "something MAKES people choose as they do -- maybe something ABOUT the person and the way they are MADE".

In Christ,

Bob

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes you "say" you want to start with the Arminian position that nothing MAKES them choose one way or the other - - but then you ask "So what MADE them choose one way or the other? AND don't say NOTHING MADE them choose one way or the other as your answer".

But of course you use "inclined" and "predisposed" instead of "MADE", and something ABOUT THE PERSON (the way they were MADE?).

Ok I give. Try this.

Well of course it is the way they were MADE! God MADE them choose that way by the way He MADE them! You are right! it is SOMETHING about those 2/3 of the Angels that obeyed - something about the way they were MADE! God did it!

But that would be Calvinism.

Indeed! As I have ALREADY said... it is "Genetic" (the way you were MADE) or it is environmental (Something in your ENVIRONMENT MADE you like Pizza).

Surely you get it. It is the ONLY way Calvinists explain choice.

But Arminians don't do that. 1/3 of the Angels did not choose rebellion because of genetics OR because their environment MADE them sin and MADE the 2/3's remain faithful.

This whole thing of genetics or environment MAKING someone reject the Gospel even though Christ enables them to choose - is out the window in Free Will.

The person that MADE your genetics (if you are claiming that one) or the person that MADE your environment be as it is - (if you are claiming that one) is the person that MADE you choose pizza...

In Christ,

Bob

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Obviously, you were MADE in such a way that you are incapable of answering a very simple question.

Let me remind you, as you answer in a mockery of the Calvinist's answer, that YOU are the person who suggested that the difference is like one of wax vs. clay -- which implies that the difference boils down to how they are MADE. I did not suggest any such thing -- YOU DID -- and I am specifically asking for an answer that is unlike the very analogy you used.

Given that they are not MADE to choose differently, I want to know WHY one chooses to accept the Gospel, and another chooses to reject it. Now, if the wax/clay analogy is your answer, then YOU are either saying the difference boils down to how they are made, or you are simply retreating one level back and not answering the question. You have failed to explain WHY one person's heart becomes like wax, and another person's heart becomes like clay. But that's YOUR answer, not mine, so I leave you to explain it.

The only good point you made was that the word "predisposed" suggests how we're made. Okay, so let's eliminate the use of the word "predisposed". "Predisposed" was simply ONE of the many reasons in my example that I cited to explain why I might choose to eat pizza of my own free will. You don't have to choose "predisposed" as part of your answer. You never had to use that as part of your answer. All I'm asking is for AN ANSWER. Any answer to the question. And a REAL answer, not a mockery of a Calvinist's answer. An Arminian answer that is neither a tautology nor a re-statement of the same question in different terms.

Back to terminology. You are incorrect to say that INCLINED and MADE are the same thing. I may be INCLINED to choose to eat pizza due to childhood experiences. I might be INCLINED to reject pizza because I once ate a bad pizza that made me sick, and I now associate pizza with being sick. None of these INCLINATIONS are forced on me or due to predispositions. These inclinations come from my experiences.

You might answer just that -- that a person is inclined to choose to accept the Gospel because of his/her life experiences, and another is disinclined to choose the Gospel for the same reasons. YOU DON'T HAVE to answer that way, I'm just showing you that there are answers that do NOT have to do with how one is MADE, or imply that the inclination is FORCED on you. If you don't believe that environmental factors or experiences are the reasons, then don't use that explanation as your answer. Explain it any way you like. Just answer the question, that's all.

My only requirement is that you do not retreat into a tautology (they choose because they are able to choose), or a repetition of the question in another frame (they choose one or the other because something inclines them to choose one way or another).

I repeat: What I'm asking you is VERY SIMPLE. What inclines one person to choose to accept the Gospel of his own free will, and what inclines the other person to reject it of his own free will? How do you explain the difference between the two people?