1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the largest Church in America?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ReformedBaptist, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :applause:

When one must point out another's spelling errors it is a reflection of "full of myself".

Id appars that you have broght this question of "training" up as if a seminary degree places one at a higher level of biblical accuracy than one who has no degree.

I have had pastors who have gone to seminaries tell me that if your not careful and well grounded in the truth they can mess you up with liberalism.

Really, you can have two men, both with half a dozen degrees in bible theology, and both with half a dozen different doctrinal points of view. When it comes to debating doctrine we all have the same text, the same Holy Spirit and the same commentaries from great men of God past to learn from. There is nothing new under the sun. It boils down to sola-scripture interpreting sola-scripture.

Sadly, having a title as a pastor or minister has been greatly deminished, at least here in the USA. Just look at the amount of ungodly men who are found holding a pulpit today. And what about all the women holding a pulpit to the shame of the biblical requirements of this title?

I'm sorry, but the title of pastor or minister really is meaningless to me unless I see the blamelessness lived out in that man's life. He must first prove himself before I have respect for such a title.

Quite frankly, thus far, I fail to see the high standard set for pastor in your post EWF.

Here is the qualifications, do you feel you have displayed all of these attributes here thus far?

Tts 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
    Tts 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
    Tts 1:8 But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
    Tts 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

I know a few good pastors and these are not the words of a holy man.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have ignored justifying myself up to this time.
    I quoted straight from the KJV.
    I will do so again:'

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

If I am wrong, then so are the translators who translated the Bible 400 years ago.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No need to justify yourself brother. The quote is accurate. The fault lies in the heart of EWF and his trying to belittle you.

God bless!

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then you don't know much about the RCC do you?
    If I acted that way while in the RCC, I would have been committing a mortal sin, and by their doctrine that would condemn me to hell.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But the day I got saved God delivered me from this dread and fear that the RCC keeps its members in bondage, delivered from a gospel a works, heard for the first time in my life the true gospel of grace by faith alone, and trusted Christ as my Savior. Then I found true peace with God, and joy in my heart. I knew at that time that if I should die that very moment I would go straight to heaven. My sins had been forgiven: past, present and future. No priest could do that. But, hallelujah, Jesus could, and did!

6. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

DHK, it's against the rules to question another member's salvation, but you do it to Lori all the time.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Born again means one thing in the RCC.
    In means something else entirely in evangelical Christianity.
    It is a fair question to ask what she means when she says she is born again.
    You cannot believe both definitions at the same time.

8. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Isn't this a jewel? This exchange began with the mocker (Earth, Wind & Fire) mocking Ann, who in turns gets mocked (by yours truly) for mocking Ann and now complains about being mocked when the mockery was put in a question form that required you to draw your own conclusions??? Pretty sweet, can't come any more full circle than that:laugh:

#88 Dr. Walter, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2010
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann.....I am not a Catholic but many people on my mom's side are. None believe in purgatory....as I said that is a doctrine that they dont believe in & went out the door with Luther. And most of them do live their lives outside the church. They would also say getting into heaven is believing in Christ as Lord. Everyone who is catholic would tell you that.....In my family anyway. Thats why it's funny to me...any suggestion of walking thru sacrements as getting into heaven is laughable... Doubt it's seriously taught as doctrine anymore. Note, not one person in my family pursued any clergy position, not even alter boy, in the Catholic church. They are Catholic because their family has been Catholic for 2000 years. There is no orthodoxy here. Go ask a Jew who isn't practicing his religion if he is still a Jew & is getting to heaven.

Out of that family though came 3 cousins as ministers of Protestant churches & my brother who is a Fundamentalist minister. If they get serious about religion then they move to the Protestants.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody cares Walter. Or more correctly "I could care less" Have fun with it though. :saint:

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously DHK......would you have cared?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - So your family is culturally Catholic. I'd say that your statements here show that you do not understand the teaching of the Catholic church nor have ever set foot in one. Maybe study up on the actual teachings of the church. You'll be surprised and just may stop acting foolish laughing at things that you have no knowledge of.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To DHK & Steaver.... OK fellas, where do you want me to go with this?

1. I was merely asking a "simple question" to find out if you have seminary education. Why are you assuming more than that? You know what happens when you assume?

2. Try Mozilla Foxfire. It has spell-checker in it.:rolleyes:

#93 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 11, 2010
  14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Rather than being quite snotty (which would get you quite a reprimand if you were my child), please read what was said. That is the spelling in the King James Version of the Bible. Are you saying that one who is copying Scripture should correct the spelling?

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong......They are Catholic ....ROMAN Catholic & I was baptized RC & studied under the Sisters Of Christian Charity for 12 years. We just prefer to ignore there stupid doctrines while living as Catholics. There is a big difference you seem not to be grasping....honestly I have to laugh. I can still go back to Pennsylvania & carry the statue in procession at festival time (an honored position with the Catholic Church) & never set foot in it. I can be Godfather to my nieces & nephews without setting foot in there if I want to....(an honored position again)
    Don't believe anything you see on the Catholic Channel (its meant to confuse Protestants)...LOL!

PS:Im including Catholic Deacons here.

#95 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 11, 2010
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann, I am appalled! Would you spank me also?

Take a look at the posting again & find the word Appears as well as other words I won't point out. Honestly, just trying to help the guy.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

However, you could not take communion, which is a very vital sacrament to the Catholic church. I highly doubt you could carry a statue in a procession but I don't know your local church.

I don't watch the Catholic Channel (well, I did once to watch my friend singing in mass), but I was raised in the Catholic church until I was saved and after that, I attended Catholic school. Again, my friend is a deacon in the Catholic church and is now studying to be a priest so I'll take a Catholic deacon/seminarian's word over yours. Sorry but I think they know much more about the Catholic church than you do.

You can "ignore" their stupid doctrines but that doesn't mean that they are not taught and believed today. Look at our own lori4dogs' posts here on purgatory and you will see that it is a doctrine that is quite alive and well all these years after Luther.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you provoking me? Seriously - you are a grown man asking me if I would spank you? That's just weird.

What's the problem with "appears"? Honestly, I think you're just acting foolish.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, I cared deeply. I was an altar boy for many years, and after that a lector in the church. I thought seriously of becoming a priest. To this day I can still quote much of the mass in Latin. I was a devout Catholic. Yes, I speak seriously. Your mocking is totally unwarranted.

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Some Roman Catholics do know Jesus in a personal sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.