1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Origin of Fundalmentalism?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Through some of my conversations with people here. There is a claim that the true churches (fundalmentalist in nature) was started by the Apostles and were in the shadow of a coinciding heretical church that became established in 325 AD by Constantine we all know as the RCC. I've been lead to read a pamphelet called the "trail of blood" which is not supported by historical documents and includes fundalmentalist churches with known heretical churches.

There is another view that the fundelmentalist churches are born out of the Reformation by leaders such as John Calvin and later grew in Scotland as Presbyterians which influenced English Puritans coming out of the Anglican churches and with the founding of the Americas the fundalmentalist minded were renewed during the great awakening moving to the current period.

I've recently came across a view that fundalmentalism as we know it today was formulated in the mid 1800 by Benjamin B. Warfield, Charles Hodge and others at the Princeton Theological seminary that became known as Princeton Theology as a reaction to the social gospel. This group paved the way for a series of 12 books called the Fundamentals by Milton and Lyman Stewart in 1915.

What are your thoughts about these views or insight you might have about how fundalmentalism actually came about. Thanks.

2. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

You have a handle on the terminology and its origin but I would contend something different. The term is a reaction to those who questioned accepted doctrine. We have mainline churches and we have more conservative churches that arose from the anabaptist and Seperatists etc
    They did not start being fundamental then if you will. They reacted against those who questioned beliefs.
    Take for example Wesley or Calvin; depending on the generally accepted definition of what fundamentalists believe; they strike me as such.
    What do you define a fundamentalist as?
    Good thread.

#2 BRIANH, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
  3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My understanding of the history is that fundamentalism came about as a response to elements of scientific modernism in Christian theology like textual criticism (particularly higher criticism) and scientific explanations or questioning of the miraculous (creation, virgin birth, resurrection).

Most of this was brewing in the 1800s and I understand the Niagara Bible Conference (1876 to 1897) to be the primary place where Christian fundamentalism was being defined and organized.