1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the point of the story of Job?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, Apr 26, 2007.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm curious as to the opinions of various BB participants as to what they think is the point of the book of Job. Yes, there are many things to learn from the book, but what do you think is the main point of the story, taken as a whole? As a side comment, has anyone noticed the lack of distinction between what satan did and God's responses? God never says, "blame the devil, he did it, not me".

2. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I've found that Job answers the perennial question: "Why do bad things happen to good people?" Another wisdom book in the OT, Ecclesiastes, answers the corollary question: "Why do good things happen to bad people?" The same answer occurs in both: God keeps us on our toes. Have faith, and don't try to go further than that.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm curious as to how you think Job answers that question. "Job shows that bad thing happen to good people because...?"

4. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The point?

"God is always right." And "There is a purpose to suffering, though
    we may never know why...but He knows why."

Satan was trying to tell God that Job would renounce God
    if all he had was taken away.

God disagreed and basically let Satan take all the he had
    to prove the point. Job never cursed God.

We all suffer. Some more than others. Sometimes we get mad
    at God, or ourselves, or our life circumstances. God knows best
    and we have to accept that.

When we buried our only child, I felt like Job must have.
    I don't hate God for it because it is in His plan. I'm not happy that
    our daughter is gone ( I think about her every day and I will for
    the rest of my life and beyone) but I have joy in my heart because
    I believe she went right back to God where she came from. And
    I'll get to see her then.

Back to what I said, God KNEW.... Satan didn't and out of his pride
    he challenged God. Satan should have just shut his pie hole.

5. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

...because the book begins describing how Job was good and bad things happened to him anyway, much to the surprise of conventional wisdom at the time (i.e., his friends).

I've viewed it as self-evident in reading the book. I've never researched much on it to back me up, but I bet I'm not alone in viewing it this way.

BJ

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Wow, that's not the big message I get from Job. I'd rather not say how I see it yet. I'd like to see if anyone has an alternate view than the bad things/good people.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think it is possible to get multiples applications from any one book or even passage of Scripture. One meaning, many applications. So I agree with the previous posters, but I will also add that an underlying theme throughout Job, and one that is shouted to us in chapters 38-41, is the sovereignty of God.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Shouted is a good word. After all the wayward advice and theories his friends come up with, and after Job's own misunderstanding, God reproves them all in two lengthy sections. After a comment like this by Job's friend ostensibly to exonerate God from doing anything bad to good people...

God responds...

Then God goes on to say in so many ways, "I made everything. It's mine. I do with it as I please." Finally...

I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes? How can one get "why bad things happen to good people" from that answer from Job to God, which was finally the "right" one? I get something more like "why God has the right to do as He pleases with His own creation, and why all speculation to the contrary is nonsense".

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I get from Job is the fact it's easy to praise God and serve Him when everything is going great...but God expects this same thing in our trials and trubulations.
    I also get that God will allow bad things to happen to His to test the extent with how we respond and how we depend on him.

10. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I find in Job that the "tradition of man", his philosophies, theologies, and the teachings of what are called of the "fathers" to be just that. Our answers can only be found in God. So many today, even of faith, are types of Job, and his three friends, and yes I am also there in some cases. The answers we hear from those of high esteem, or of longevity in knowledge, are not always of wisdom. I find in Job, what Christ revealed to Paul of justification.

Who is it that justifies? Does God justify all the same? In all of our studies, outside of His Word, don't we as Job tend to justify ourselves, not finding the answers, condemning others?

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Job is about the greatness and sovereignty of God.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I agree that this is THE point.

13. johnp.

johnp. New Member

I've just been having a look around npetreley and found out about double justice.

...the concept of double justice posits a higher hidden justice in God which transcends the Law and could condemn even the angels. This idea appears in Calvin's works before the sermons on Job but always grows out of his fascination with Job 4:18; namely, that even the angels are not clean in God's sight. In the 1559 Institutes Calvin added the concept of double justice as a further explanation of his 1539 citation of Job 4:18 (3.12.1), which proved that creaturely justice cannot satisfy the justice of God.

...the text led him in a direction he did not want to go. The further he progressed through the sermons, the more he worried that this canonical text might depict a God who could arbitrarily cancel the divine order of justice and act "without cause."
    http://www.questia.com/googleSchola...SvvlNh1j!1226986790!-280665348?docId=96510236

(3.12.1) This has repercussions on the 'what ifs' I thinks. :) I can feel an heresy coming on.

john.

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The problem is that it is most likely a quotation of Eliphaz. I could also cite other quotes from Job's friends that sound good but are obviously in error. On the other hand, there's a footnote that says that some versions end the quote at verse 17, meaning that verse 18 would be Biblical truth. In that case, well, it leads to some interesting speculation. But I'd have a hard time building a case about anything if it's a verse that we're not sure is a truth or just an error from a friend. I'd need more than just that verse that is wrapped in uncertainty.

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would say that this is God's reponse in the last 5 chapters to the questions presented in the rest of Job.

The narrative in Job wrestles with the question of why do the righteous suffer. God's response is not to give an answer in the form of "The righteous suffer because...". Instead he describes his greatness and sovereignty for 4 chapters.

In response Job says:

It leaves us with an unsatisfying but truthful answer to a more general question of "Why God?". Why does God do anything? The answer Job came to at the end was that God is sovereign, his purposes are beyond our comprehension and we are to trust him.

#15 Gold Dragon, Apr 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  16. belvedere

belvedere Member

While it is not the main point, one thing that stands out to me about the book of Job is the strong evidence it gives toward creationism.

17. johnp.

johnp. New Member

I just assumed it was Job speaking because Calvin was using it. :) I think I assumed wrongly.

It did. Col 1:20 was used in support of it, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

I'll go with the Dragon and the Pastor then. :) Job is about the greatness and sovereignty of God.
    The answer Job came to at the end was that God is sovereign, his purposes are beyond our comprehension and we are to trust him.
    With reservations on the bold.

john.

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Hey, what about the beaver? My icon is, in case anyone wondered, a beaver. Daggett "Doofus" Beaver, to be more precise.

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was it God's faith or Job's that was being tested; would there be any sense in the thought that Satan was being allowed to challenge God Himself in this situation as Satan had asked if Job had a hedge around him?

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought it was a brown sock :D