1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the point of this verse?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Nov 1, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We're not faulting you, BB. I just pray that your beliefs don't some day do damage to a believer in your church who struggles with sin....any sin, not the ones you want to classify as being worse than others. This may open the door to them thinking they can commit certain sins that "are not as bad".

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nighty-night...err....Morny-morny :D

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

My members would not even come back to church if I allowed someone like that to stay among us. Not one member would come back and I would not blame them. I still say this is why there are so many among us that do such things.
    I will never forget when Swaggert stood up and said "I have sinned" and got a standing ovation. Made me sick to my stomach.

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

You are now talking about church membership. Swaggert should have been kicked out as pastor. Haggard's church did the right thing. I don't care to much for the man, and never did. He was all about numbers. But...I am not the judge. He should never be allowed to preach again, but there are other things he can do.

My wife sent me this...

Posted by Rev. Ken Silva on November 7, 2006 @ 08:10 AM
    The Christian Life

Ted Haggard was wrong!! He brought shame to his wife and his church. God will deal with him and is dealing with him now. Yet, I cannot say he was not saved. Nor can i understand why he did this. The fact is, I do not know the mans heart. Really, I never heard him preach, but you would think he used the right words. Was it all a fake? I have no idea. God knows his heart.

I know this...I did not like the way he acted on TV..."I'm winning because I have more people in my church",..is nothing but pride. Like I said..I do not care for him...but I hate to see the church of God mocked by the news. We can forgive...but people pay for their sins. Haggard can teach, do missions work what have ya, if he gets right with God, but never pastor! The sin is to public for this. This is not to the sin as much as it is to the public eye. It would be the same if a pastor lied to the court and all the world saw it. How could you trust a someone like that? well...i'll stop now. :)

just my thoughts

In christ...James

5. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Amen.:thumbs:

6. jne1611

jne1611 Member

To this I would have to agree. He did say "brother" when speaking about the sin unto death.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't really disagree with this except what the sins are maybe.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I disagree. If you overtake a brother in sin then he must not be in a sin unto death for it says to try and help him. but goes on and says there is a sin and there is a sin unto death and I would not say to pray for it. Well, the person was not dead and we all have seen sin that was terrible and yet they lived. I wonder if this Haggard will live.

9. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Bob, what would you define as "a sin unto death?" Does John give a definition. And more importantly, does John forbid prayer for one in such a shape? Or does he just not give the command to pray for such a one? I am not trying to get you tag teamed. I just want your take on this, because you have said some things that seem to reflect that what you have said is a mixture of what you believe the Bible teaches, but also seems to be church policy in play as well.

#69 jne1611, Nov 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2006
  10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Let me put it this way.

Homo is surely one of them.

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Who says what sins are on the list??

Like..to lie Is that on the list? If not why?

or..maybe we have a list in the Bible?

ok...HOMO is one. Give me the whole list...or where to find the list

12. jne1611

jne1611 Member

What else? Bob, how would you know what to pray for & what not under that standard? Are you saying that you cant pray for this preacher? If your answer be yes, then, what is your authority for this? Your supposition that this is the sin intended? Are you willing to stand on that?

#72 jne1611, Nov 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2006
  13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I use Ten Commandments as Paul did for they sure killed him. I was once alive without the Law the Commandments came sin revived and I died. He even quoted some of them as Jesus did. Now I know you all will have something to say about the Law of Moses but I use what Jesus used and that was Ten Commandments. Now, if you lie that is up to you but don't accuse me of it. My Bible says them that maketh a lie will not be in Heaven, so lie if you want.

#73 Brother Bob, Nov 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2006
  14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

The ten commandments does not use the word lie. It uses false witness. You have false witnessed on here a few times. Now most of the time you came back and said your were sorry, for you misunderstood. But what I need to ask, is when you false witnessed did you lose your salvation? Or does this mean you were not saved?

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are so wrong most of the time James. If I make a mistake it is not false witness. You are accusing me of something I did not do. You need to apologize to me for making a false statement about me. Now as far as false witness it is to condemn the Free-wills while being a member of a Free-will church and all the time being a Calvinist. Now that is false witnessing and being a hypocrit.

#75 Brother Bob, Nov 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2006
  16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

In other words, all I would need to do, is post where you said false statements about me or anyone else and you would have just now made another false statement. Is this right?

If I can not find one, I am wrong and I will also pay you 100,000 bucks.

If I do find one...no... make that 10, All you need to do is say ok..i lied. Do we have a deal?

or...

Are you saying...posting things that are not true is not a sin, but just a mistake???

17. jne1611

jne1611 Member

10 commandments? Bob, do you not realize that Christ handed down thousands of commandments while on earth? Your going to reduce all those to just 10 to be the most important? Did Christ not say that all those hung on 2 Commandments? And are you going to say that you have loved thy neighbour as your self all the time? or for that matter loved the Lord your God with ALL your heart all the time? Christ said "If you love me, keep my commandments" Have you broken any of his commandments since you were saved?

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No, it would not be right. If I made a mistake is one thing, if I were kidding you is another but if I attempted to deceive you then yes.

I don't wager for that is sin also.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Do you accept the word of the Lord for He said on these two hang ALL the Law and the prophets. For once be honest.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You think this is impossible?