1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what is, the prayer of salvation, exactly?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Darren, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What happened to the first name basis?

2. HisWordIsTruth

HisWordIsTruth New Member

I didn't know we were on one?

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not true. I said i would be glad to discuss it if you would answer the many questions you have dodged. But that was another thread. now we are here.

So what does it lead to?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...but you and "Jim" are, right?

5. HisWordIsTruth

It is true. I'm not interested in playing your game just as much as you are not seriously wanting to look at the Scriptures.

So here it's okay if I don't answer your questions, we can look at the Scriptures? You are a very confusing person to say the least revmitchell ;).

Well if we are going to look at the Scriptures then are we in agreement that two different subjects are being discussed?

6. HisWordIsTruth

Nah I guess not. His name is Mark not Jim :laugh:, so I guess he is on a first-name basis with everyone now :)

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think they are both the same thing, just put a different way.

Believing consists of more than just acknowleging that Christ existed. The belief that saves is one of trust and willingness to put ones very life in Christ's hands. If we have this faith, it means that we believe it in our heart and when we do, we will gladly confess it before men.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are those subjects?

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes, please. What are those subjects? And what makes them different?

10. HisWordIsTruth

Absolutely! Knowing that a man named Jesus lived and died on a cross in the annuals of history does "not" save! We still agree.

Acts 16:30-31 and Eph. 2:8-9 say nothing of "putting ones very life in Christ's hands".

Again that is not what Scripture says. Nowhere does Scripture say that if we believe we will confess. Is there?

Everlasting life is based solely on the idea that the innocent has died and shed its blood for the guilty. That was true in the OT and it is true in that Jesus the Innocent died and shed His blood in the place of the guilty. That's me a sinner.

If I believe that I am saved. Right Amy? Or are you saying that I can believe that Christ died and shed His blood in my place because of my sin and still be on my way to the really hot place?

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Romans 10:10 does

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Maybe you should define "belief".

I don't understand your last paragraph.

13. HisWordIsTruth

No it doesn't.

Here is the direct quote.

For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Nowhere in that text does it "say" when you believe you will confess. Nothing there to suggest one leads to the other.

14. HisWordIsTruth

Acknowledging that something is true and trusting that it was done on my behalf.

I'm just trying to figure out what you believe it takes for someone to "be saved".

If I believe (acknowledge that the facts are true and trust that they were done on my behalf because of my sin) that Jesus Christ died on the cross and shed His blood, because I am a sinner and incapable of acting in such a way to save myself . . . if I believe that will I go to heaven or will I still be headed south?

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Isn't that what I said?

Believing Christ died to spare you from eternal punishment is putting your life in His hands, is it not?

16. HisWordIsTruth

I guess I wouldn't put it that way, but okay :).

Now we have a problem. You have just admitted that I am saved if I believe that Jesus died and shed His blood on my behalf a sinner.

However there is no repentance of sin in what I have said. And there is no "confessing" (speaking) of Jesus as Lord.

So we have a delimna based on what you have said and agreed to and what Romans 10:9 says. What I'm trying to figure out is how you solve that dilemna?

You have agreed that salvation comes by a belief in the death and shed blood of Jesus, but others are teaching that we need to repent of sins and still others that we need to confess Jesus as Lord and that we need to believe that Jesus rose from the dead and still others that we need to live obedient lives and still others that we need to be baptised, etc., etc. etc.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

that's all part of faith.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ummm...yes it does

Since this is clearly speaking of a salvation but you do not believe it is speaking to eternal life what kind of salvation is it refering to?

19. HisWordIsTruth

Your stubborness is amazing. You even bold the statement and then proceed to say something else.

Here is what you said:
    Nowhere does Scripture say that if we believe we will confess. (my statement)

Romans 10:10 does (your response)

So in essence what you are saying is that Romans 10 "says" that "if I believe I will confess.

And that is simply NOT the case. Let me quote the verse for you again.

For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Nowhere in that text of Scripture can you find the words if I believe I will confess or if a person believes they will confess or anything close to that.

Romans 10:10 is a statement of process not an if then statement. "If" and "then" are CLEARLY not contained in that statement.

You can't make that text say something it doesn't. Words have meanings and the words used there DO NOT convey the message you are saying.

20. HisWordIsTruth

Where is the Scripture that "says" this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.