1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the problem for Adrian Rogers?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by C.R. Gordon, Feb 19, 2003.

1. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Calvinism's view of the Atonement has almist shut down atonement???

You have a weird caracture of Calvinism in your head. Until you look at it in an objective manner, and not in a strawman format, I will not discuss it with you.

Back to the issue at hand, Is divorce a sin?

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Paul allowed for divorce in certain cases. For reasons other than those mentioned, I think it is a sin. However, would what happened to Charles be considered some form of abandonment?

Either way, divorce is no different in the eyes of God than any other sin. It is not a category in and of itself.

3. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Okay, how about D. James Kennedy, the man behind "Evangelism Explosion"?

4. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Both he and Fuller termed the Hyper-Calvinism they faced "False Calvinism." Hyper-Calvinism denies the responsibility of human beings and does not call for "duty faith." Calvinism affirms human responsibility and the call for "duty faith."

5. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

I disagree. It has to do with sound doctrine. Sound doctrine is a point of major concern in the pastoral epistles.

6. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

The Stanley situation speaks for itself. The qualifications for an elder/pastor are better left to another thread, as is the discussion of divorce.

SBCbyGRACE: It really is not my intention to argue with you. As a Reformed guy I get tired of the same old lame things thrown at "my side" - "You aren't evangelistic," "You aren't practical," etc., etc., etc. I do not believe this to be the matter in my own case, nor do I believe it to be the case of my dear friends and associates who are Calvinists. I work hand in hand with "Arminian" SBCers, and will continue to do so by God's grace. Hope the converse is true with you. [​IMG]

7. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I disagree. It has to do with sound doctrine. Sound doctrine is a point of major concern in the pastoral epistles. </font>[/QUOTE]There are multitudes of healthy churches that are not Reformed in nature (probably more non-5-pointers than not).

Sound doctrine does not equal 5-point Calvinism. A person can be sound/orthodox without being a 5-pointer.

8. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I am not suggesting Calvinists as a whole are not evangelistic or practical. I would be classified a "Calvinist" by most and evangelism and practicality are two primary concerns in my ministry. I just find an innate danger in Calvinism that CAN diminish evangelism and CAN create a sense of isolationism. I have heard men such as Rick Warren criticized harshly because he does not fit the paradigm. I simply emphasize that God works in and through men on all sides of the A/C issue, which lets me know that we tend to prioritize that which is evidently secondary to God's work. The fundamental gospel (1 Cor 15.3-4) is neither Calvinistic nor Arminian. These are man-created systems that we employ to explain humanly how salvation "works." In reality God works beyond our human explanations. We cannot limit God to our own systems of thought.