1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Purpose of the law To christians Under new Covenant?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DaChaser1, Jan 27, 2012.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Back to the truth instead of your false teachings and errors rejecting the bible.
    No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's [fn] seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.

2. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

so again, you say that a true believer in jesus can only sin once, than stop, any contiuning reveals/shows not really was saved?

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Why do you keep lying about what I say?

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

4. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Guess not clear in how many times saint can be found in a sin and be not yet "practicing sin?"

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It has nothing to do with how many times. It is all about character. It goes against the character of a saved person to sin because they have the spirit and cannot practice sinning.
    http://www.gerald285.com/web_media/BirthmarksofaBeliever.32.mp3

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the list from more than one source:

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Articles/Taryag/taryag.html

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/756399/jewish/The-613-Commandments.htm

http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm

http://bethaderech.com/list-of-the-613-commandments/

In addition to the body of mitzvouth (directly from the Bible) there is also the body of halakhah (of which some cases could be construed to be fabrications) which brings the number substantially above 613.

http://www.jewfaq.org/halakhah.htm

HankD

#46 HankD, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  7. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Though our new natures will want to please God, you do know even the Apostle paul had to astruggle against his old nature/flesh that wanted to resist God still!

Paul did not know of attaining sinless perfection!

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Hank they are not recognized by any NT scholar. In fact they are not even recognized by many Rabi's. It is a made up list fabricated by taking scripture and calling it commands. The commands we have which the church is to follow are for all time. They has never been fulfilled and will never be done away with.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No, James was speaking of erning salvation, not following in obediance.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "practicing sin" is not found in the scripture "commits or commiteth sin" is what it actually says.

The verb is a present participle.
    But "practising sin" only covers part of what the implication of the use of the present participle means.

Many have explained that to FAL.

Also which "commandments" are meant.

Of the biblical commandments of the law of Moses of which there are at least 613 which I have shown.

If a person breaks just one of these then he/she is guilty of all.

Regardless of the number let's take just one of them:

e.g.

Leviticus 19:19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.​

So under the law of moses there are 3 commandments (mitzvouth) given here in Leviticus 19:19 (there were no verse divisions in the original copies).

1) Prohibition of mixing cattle
    2) Prohibition of mixing seed in one's field.
    3) Prohibition of mixing clothes of diverse fabric.

Let's concentrate on number three:

If you are under the law then you cannot wear clothes of different fabric.
    You cannot for example wear something (shirt) made of wool and something else (trousers) made of cotton.

Most gentiles break this commandment every day of their life continously and are therefore practicing sin (continously) if they have put themselves under the law.

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.​

Which commandments are meant in this passage for instance.

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.​

Does this include the prohibition of wearing mixed garments?​

If it does then whoever breaks this one (wears mixed garments) is continuously practicing sin and guilty of the whole law and has received a curse.​

Deuteronomy 28:15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:​

HankD​

12. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Either way, we cannot keep the law perfectly in order to merit getting saved, nor can we perfectly keep the law even after being saved!

can aspire to do that, can through the power/presense of the Lord in us overcome sin areas, but NEVER will reach 'sinless perfection!"

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

2Cor 5:9-11
    Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.
    For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things [done] in [his] body, according to that he hath done, whether [it be] good or bad.
    Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

Who will be admitted into heaven?
    "Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:14

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FAL, This is a debate forum.

As a rebutal show me an example of a scripture wherein you see a fabrication from the several lists which I provided and we can discuss it as to whether what you say is true or not.

Otherwise we can assume that no matter the reason, you are either unable or unwilling to do so.

In either case you have forfeited the debate point.

Also you said above "The commands we have which the church is to follow are for all time. They has never been fulfilled and will never be done away with".

OK it seems that you have moved a little bit toward my interpretation of "commandments".

It would seem (underline would seem) by saying "the commands we have which the church is to follow are for all time" that you are making a distinction between the commands given to the church and the commandments given though Moses to Israel.

So to clarify this issue - Again, does this statement - "the commands we have which the church is to follow are for all time" - include the command in Leviticus 19:19 concerning the wearing of mixed fabrics or only for the nation of Israel?

This is why you cause so much confusion FAL because it seems that you have a dichotomy of opinions, sometimes giving what seems to be ambivalence (flip-flopping) on issues between threads.​

Then you react by making an ad hominem accusation by calling your brother a liar when he may indeed be confused like the rest of us by your seemingly conflicting statements.​

I usually don't speak to a brother like this FAL but the proof of this seeming confusion is overwhelming reading your posts.​

I believe you have great potential because like the Bereans of Acts 17 you also give evidence of searching the scriptures diligently and with zeal.​

This admonition is a labor of love because I love you as a brother in Christ and care that you will be able to efficiently exercise your gifts to edify His people.​

Even if you are correct and the rest of us wrong we all have this scriptural admonition...​

2 Timothy 2
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
    26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.​

God's results require God's methods.

HankD​

#54 HankD, Jan 30, 2012
  15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The easiest and shortest way to deal with the claimed 613 commandments is to click on this link.
    http://askdrbrown.org/ask-dr-brown/35-ask-dr-brown/114-are-there-really-613-commandments-in-the-torah

As to the OP question they are what will be used to verify salvation;
    Are God's commandments burdensome to those who are truly born again?
    "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith." 1 John 5:3, 4

What motive should prompt us to keep God's law?
    "If you love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15

1John 2:4
    He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3:9
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.

Who will be admitted into heaven?
    "Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:14

#55 freeatlast, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it doesn't, it only questions the exact number of which I concur and stand corrected - it could be more, it could be less:

A greater number could be extracted if the wisdom books, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes as well as the prophets were included reaching well over 1000.

So please answer the question, must we wear all cotton, all wool, all whatever fabric when we dress in order to "do His commandments"?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

There are several hundred others covering diet, haircuts, images, pictures, the Sabbath, etc, etc we would need to go over as well.

HankD

#56 HankD, Jan 30, 2012
  17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The purpose of the Law has always been to drive sinners to the Savior. I think that is still it's purpose.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Matthew 22:35-40

35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

These are the Commandments we are required to keep. To love one another as Christ loves us. Not the ten written on tables of sone.

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

20. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

MY confusion rests in the fact that fal "appears" to be listing we are saved by faith, but kept by keeping the law, that real salvation makes for real keeping of the law...

Mixture Grace/law...

Also, still not sure what"practicing sin" really means...

How can my salvation be certain, IF I will be judged by law keeping as basis of entering into heaven, per Fal, and isn't the 'LAW" for us today the law of christ, to love God and to love the bethren?