1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is the Righteousness of God?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I have never thought this passage a proof text against depravity, you have made a very good point. The subject of the passage is not people who are prevented from entering the kingdom (they are entering it) but instead it is those who would prevent people from entering. Jesus is dealing with the sin of the Pharisee, not the salvation of those they shut out. This shows how easily it is to misapply or misinterpret Scripture when we are searching for support of a specific agenda. I do have my own issues with Calvinism (with some versions more than others), but it is asinine to assume that the Calvinistic leaning of one’s theology determines whether or not it can be defended biblically.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the many ways folks attempt to nullify scripture is to say since the subject or main point of a passage is "this" then what it says about "that" can be ignored. Pure twaddle.

Folks, Matthew 23:13 says men were entering heaven. Therefore they had some spiritual ability. But they were blocked, therefore they were not being compelled by irresistible grace. Therefore the Calvinist doctrine of "total spiritual inability" is unbiblical.

Did anyone say or suggest men are more powerful than God? Nope, so a strawman argument to evade discussion of the verse. And anyone who addresses the behavior of the poster, rather than the position posted, is also evading discussion of biblical truth.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The second point of the TULIP is "Unconditional Election" and therefore Calvinism denies God chooses people for salvation "through faith in the truth." Here the defense ploy is to run away from the actual doctrine while shouting "you do not understand Calvinism." :)

Again, no one said it did! No verse contextually considered conflicts with any other verse, they all fit together in truth.

But the actual idea is that "everyone who believes in Him" is determined by God. A person can profess his or her belief, but if God does not credit it as righteousness, on that day Jesus will say "I never knew you."

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you in principle. One of many ways people attempt to nullify Scripture is ignoring the context in order to support their agenda. I think more often than not, however, it is a matter of misinterpretation as they unintentionally bend scripture to their understanding. Here is the verse in its context:

The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them. They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger. But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. They love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi by men. But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ. But the greatest among you shall be your servant. Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted. But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense you make long prayers; therefore you will receive greater condemnation. Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves....

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone "assume" Calvinism is unbiblical, or is it unbiblical because it conflicts with scripture? The T, U, L, and I of the TULIP are unbiblical. You can deny it, offer up "taint so" generalizations but it cannot be defended biblically. If the T were true, unregenerate men could not be entering heaven. If the U were true, God would not choose people for salvation through faith in the truth. If the L were true, Christ would not have laid down His life as a ransom for all, and if the I were true, the men entering heaven could not have been blocked by false teachers.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First we must come to our senses and realize our status, a sinner separated from God.

Next, we must realize we cannot obtain the righteousness of God through works, for in our state, all our works of righteousness are as filthy rags to God.

Third, lets consider Philippians 3:9,
    Forth, but what are we talking about when we refer to "Christ's faithfulness? Lets turn to 2 Corinthians 5:21,
    So at the end of the day, the lost can obtain the righteousness of God by trusting fully in Christ and having God transfer us from being "in Adam" to being "in Him" based on crediting our faith in Jesus as righteousness.

In Christ we are made holy and blameless and perfect, and thus we obtain the "righteousness of God."

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Please re-read my post. I am not advocating Calvinism. I am saying that they are just as (perhaps more so ...maybe not) "biblical" as you. Interpretation is different and obviously at least one side is wrong (I suspect both to an extent). Also, in all fairness, you are misrepresenting or misunderstanding Calvinism as a whole to be the position (at best) that some Calvinists hold. Maybe it would be better to stick to the OP. It was/is a much more interesting topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I owe an apology to all the classic Armininans on this forum. On another thread I said you were one. It was actually meant as a complement, but clearly is isn't true. You have some strange theological scheme of your own.

With regard to Matt. 23:13, I think I have shot your fox with my Post #60, and a mangy creature it was anyway. I'm happy to leave it to others to judge. Constant repetition is wearisome both to the reader and the writer.
    Well plainly you do not, but let that pass for the moment.
    But we are always bound to give thanks for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.'
    How is that a refutation of Calvinism? It sounds more like a proof-text. Paul constantly feels that he must give thanks to God for the Thessalonian Christians because God chose them from eternity for salvation (cf. also Eph. 1:4-5). There means He has chosen for this is their being set apart by the Holy Spirit and their faith in the Gospel. How splendid! How simple! 'For......it pleased God through the foolishness of [the Gospel]to save those who believe.' But how does that work out in practice? Let's look at Acts 16:14. Did Lydia open her own heart? No. Did Paul open her heart by his persuasive preaching? That's not what it says. 'The Lord opened her heart to receive the things spoken by Paul.'

Amen!

This is your unique scheme, isn't it? Christ saves everyone who believes, and then He refers them back to the Father who whittles down the list a bit. Is that right?
    Well, actually it's almost exactly the wrong way round. The Father gives the Son a vast crowd of sinners, too huge to be counted. The son redeems them at the cost of His own life-blood. Then the Spirit in due time leads them to faith and repentance and seals them for the Last Day.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) No need to reread your post, to suggest I missed its point is to address me rather than my position.

2) No one said you are advocating Calvinism, but you are advocating that it is somehow "biblical."

3) For Calvinism to be as biblical as my position, it would have to be consistent with all scripture, something I demonstrated is untrue.

4) To dismiss the conflicts of Calvinism with scripture after scripture as a matter of "interpretation" without offering any viable interpretations, is just another "taint so" post.

5) Next, you charge me as misrepresenting Calvinism, again addressing me rather than the supposedly misrepresented positions I presented. More "taint so."

6) Truth is always interesting.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies. I’ll rephrase the statement: Your reply to my post is flawed in that it fails to address its actual content.
    It is "biblical" in that it is derived from Scripture (look up the definition of "biblical").
    There are aspects to your position that are based strictly on your own interpretation. Some do not appear necessarily orthodox (your position is not necessarily a majority interpretation). If I were to use "biblical" in that sense, then it is a meaningless term. Your previous explanation of the first of the "eight woes" illustrates interpretation over Scripture on your part, so you are on very weak ground here.
    The problem is that Calvinism does not conflict with Scripture, but with your interpretation of Scripture. You are elevating your understanding to the level of Scripture.
    What is interesting is that when one studies the view of Scripture (the worldview of Israel and through the early church), one can't help but realize that they do not separate the actions of a person from what they believe/who they are. I wonder if this is a uniquely western thing. Anyway, I'll rephrase. Defining TULIP as "Calvinism" represents error and excludes what was at one time a majority of Calvinists. Narrowing down TULIP to your own definition decreases the Calvinists of whom your comments address as representative of the whole. It is better to simply deal with doctrine (which you started out doing, BTW, very well).

Yes, it is.

#70 JonC, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Martin, you made a mistake, thinking my view was classic Arminianism, and now you owe them and not me an apology. Fine.

My view is termed strange. Well it is different from yours.

You evaded the truth being taught in Matthew 23:13, claiming my view was that man is more powerful than God. Utterly wrong.

Matthew 23:13 says men were entering heaven. Therefore they had some spiritual ability. But they were blocked, therefore they were not being compelled by irresistible grace. Therefore the Calvinist doctrine of "total spiritual inability" is unbiblical. Post 60 did not even address these facts.

To repeat, God chose them for salvation through faith in the truth. This is a conditional election. Therefore Calvinism is unbiblical.

"Is that right." No, that is not right. This constant effort to suggest you cannot understand my view is obfuscation. Who does God give to Christ? Those He has chosen for salvation! On what basis does God choose people for salvation? Through faith in the truth. Does Jesus lose any that God gives to Him? Nope.

By the numbers:
    1)God credits a person's faith as righteousness, Romans 4:4-5/24.
    2) God places that person spiritually in Christ, the sanctification by the Spirit, 2 Thessalonians 2:13.
    3) The act of placing an individual into Christ is the act of giving the person to Christ, John 6:37. ​

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi JonC, there is a distinction between biblical and unbiblical. One is valid, one is not. Invalid views of scripture are unbiblical.

Calvinism cannot be defended biblically, therefore opponents are trashed.

There are no components of my view that are based on my views alone, every aspect is shared with some published views. Again, the idea is to disparage me, rather than address the actual positions.

I think you have confused me with someone else, I do not recall addressing the "woes."

Note folks, that JonC will not identify any actual place where I misrepresented Calvinism, it is just a generalized charge, kind of like saying my view is asinine.

First you knock my teeth out, then kick me for mumbling.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van,
    The reason that I suggested you revisit my post was precisely because your comments were not engaging what I had written. This is what I actually wrote:
    I mean it to go both ways (the crux of truth is not how it measures up to or against Calvinism). You have taken my comment severely out of context. As I am not a Calvinist, I am not interested in defending Calvinism, and I fear that this is the corner into which you are trying to back me into.

I somehow miss the relevance here, but that is fine. You seem quite articulate and I assumed that you did not come up with your views in a vacuum.
    You did, but you did so out of context and may not have realized the broader text in Matthew 23.
    First, I don’t know that grandstanding is necessary as anyone who wants to follow this thread has the ability. While I find it disrespectful in discussion, I also don’t wear my feelings on my sleeve and am pointing this out in case it is something of which you are doing unaware. You can lose the “note folks, that….” and simply converse. Second, I do not think your view is asinine (unless you are insisting that your understanding IS Scripture…which actually seems may be the case here).

:laugh: Nonsense - even though we disagree I appreciate your view and your comments. You often bring up some very good points, and it is only in a minority of things where we disagree. No animosity from me.

#73 JonC, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see, by referencing Matthew 23:13, I was addressing "woes." But no, because I took Matthew 23:13 out of context. Sounds like confusion to me.

We certainly do disagree, Calvinism cannot be defended biblically. (At least not the TULI.) The corner you painted yourself into is the claim that Calvinism is biblical. Matthew 23:13 says men were entering heaven, and therefore had some spiritual ability. Thus the T is unbiblical.
    Unconditional election is demonstrated mistaken by 2 Thessalonians 2:13 where God chooses folks for salvation through faith in the truth. Limited Atonement is demonstrated unbiblical because Christ laid down His life as a ransom for all. And Irresistible Grace is mistaken as shown by men entering heaven being blocked.

Folks, it is a lock.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the end of the day, the lost can obtain the righteousness of God by trusting fully in Christ and having God transfer us from being "in Adam" to being "in Him" based on crediting our faith in Jesus as righteousness.

In Christ we are made holy and blameless and perfect, and thus we obtain the "righteousness of God."

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

See where you say "and therefore"? That's where you stop being biblical (per your definition) and start being Van. I'm sure whatever "folks" you are addressing can see this (if they have at least an elementary reading comprehension). More scripture, less Van and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, note this post is all about my supposedly flawed behavior and nothing about the positions I have taken. This is all they have folks, change the subject to the character and qualifications of opponents because they cannot defend their views from scripture.

Note, did JonC deny the men entering heaven had some spiritual ability? Nope. Did he agree they did? Nope.

Go figure.

Calvinism cannot be defended biblically. (At least not the TULI.) The corner defenders find themselves in is the claim that Calvinism is biblical. Matthew 23:13 says men were entering heaven, and therefore had some spiritual ability. Thus the T is unbiblical.
    Unconditional election is demonstrated mistaken by 2 Thessalonians 2:13 where God chooses folks for salvation through faith in the truth. Limited Atonement is demonstrated unbiblical because Christ laid down His life as a ransom for all. And Irresistible Grace is mistaken as shown by men entering heaven being blocked.

Folks, it is a lock.

#77 Van, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  18. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is such a strange conversation, Van.....I don't recall the quarks in our past encounters, but whatever. The only thing I find odd about your behavior is the way you address a fictional audience (the "folks") throughout our dialogue. Everything I have discussed concerns your positions. Nothing (except maybe your habit of addressing the "folks") addresses your behavior. I do not know you and can only deal with your positions as you present them here. But I will add that I don't believe we can separate our beliefs from ourselves so easily (another topic).

No one has spoken of a man entering Heaven (not even the Scripture you paraphrase in your eisegesis). What was being discussed was the Kingdom, but I get your point. To address your observation, I neither agreed nor disagreed about how the man entered the Kingdom. This was because (as I already pointed out) you are taking the passage far out of context and imposing a conclusion about the ones entering the Kingdom that don't exist. But if it helps - of course a man does not enter the Kingdom on his own accord without the Holy Spirit's work. A man enters the Kingdom of his own accord with the work of the Spirit. I don't even know how this is questionable given that we have Scripture, but I'm not really shocked that it is.

#79 JonC, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.