1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Scriptural justification for political activism?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Daniel David, Jun 5, 2004.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

What I consider doing my civic duty, others may consider political activism. Most Christians believe "doing their civic duty" means showing up to vote straight down the ballot for which ever political party they are registered with.

2. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Doesn't the gospel have everything to do with politics?

The gospel is not political. But it has a profound effect on our viewpoints and the world around us. How can politics be split apart from all of that?

3. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

PJ... Excellent Question!

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

PJ, the gospel has nothing to do with politics. Was that a serious question?

Gospel: lost and undone man is forgiven and adopted by God on the basis of faith in the perfect, holy, Savior, the Son.

Abortion is a moral issue like murder. It really isn't a political issue. My views on taxes, gun control, etc., have nothing to do with the gospel.

5. Pennsylvania Jim

Doesn't the Holy Spirit living in you and reading of all of the wisdom and commands in Gos's Word inform your opinion on these? If not, shouldn't it?

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

PJ, if you can't answer the original question, perhaps you are wasting God's time on this activism of yours.

The Scriptures do not address taxes (except to pay them), gun control, and a whole host of other political issues.

7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

The Scriptures address stealing, and that is what our current tax and welfare system is. Stealing from one person to give a free hand out to another.

8. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Wrong.

9. Pennsylvania Jim

Terry, you should try to get a copy of a book called "The Law" by a frenchman named Fredric Bastiat, I think from the 19th century. He lays out very clearly the proper function of the law with relation to individuals and governments. It's a really fascinating book, if you're interested I'll provide a link.

DD, I and others have answered your question, I think Terry had it right in his first post.

BTW, can you give me chapter and verse that proves that Christians should give an offering to the church?

10. Terry_Herrington

PJ, Not only do I have this book, I have read it several times.

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

PJ, I guess that is one way to duck the issue. Terry didn't have anything right. I have asked for Scriptural justification in light of the many Scriptures I posted and alluded to. You just balk at this post because you are trying to argue from reason and not the Scripture. I can just write off the constitution party as the party for Christians.

12. Terry_Herrington

DD, if you are so dead set against political activism, why do you spend so much of your time in the politics section of the BB?

13. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

DD, if you are so dead set against political activism, why do you spend so much of your time in the politics section of the BB?

Terry Herrington - he shoots, he scores!! [​IMG]

Congrats, man. That was great.

15. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I have repeatedly asked for Scripture. The democrat can't answer. Let us try another.

16. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Wow, the cp guy couldn't give any either. Let us try another.

17. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Now here is another surprise. The democrat can't answer. The cp guy can't answer. The flipper can't give any either.

Basically y'all just have an unscriptural position.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Col. 3:17 (ESV)
    And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

19. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I have actually never said it is wrong. I just asked for the Scriptural justification.

I have political persuasions and opinions. I just don't let it dominate my life like so many so-called christians do.

Basically, the world is getting worse. Christ is the only remedy (not government of any kind). The world will only know peace and justice when Christ reigns from Jerusalem.

20. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

That is it? That verse tells you to be politically active?