1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured what is the true significance of water baptism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Onlybygrace, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, and he also probably had jewish understandings regarding OT, so he was not someone "brand new to the faith"...

Jewish persons preached to in Acts fully relaised what the Apsotles were saying regarding claims of yeshua as Jewish messiah, but MANY in America just don't have the church/bible background to really know what baptism represents!

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

No doubt you're right, but if we baptize anyone who is ignorant of the significance, then it's our fault. We ought to baptize nobody without making sure they understand.

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Well I havent read any of the previous posts, so I might be way outside if the prevalent view, for me I see water baptism being an outwardly *spectacular* picture of what has has happened inwardly for the new Christian...and nothing more than that.

#23 Alive in Christ, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
  4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

What scripture are you basing that idea on?

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I really like how the Camblite groups do baptisms. They do it imedietly after the request.

I read some material of theirs, and one assistant pastor shared that he was appoached around 11 Oclock one night. (he was actually starting to get ready to get in bed) He talked with the man very briefly..just to make sure he was sincere..and finding the guy to be genuine.. he took him and found some water somewhere and baptised him! I like that! And it seems to be very scriptural as well.

#25 Alive in Christ, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the jewish first Chrsitians would have understood well what Baptism meant to those in the Covenant with God, but gentiles would not know that and would need to be instructed in the ways of it!

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know the early Church baptised those professing faith In jesus as messiah, early converts ALL Jewish, would have understood the significance of the act, but gentiles being ignorant to God would need instruction!

Not saying had to wait until knew Romans fully, but would be instructed in what it was all about!

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Acts 8, for one, the story of the Ethiopian eunch.

Philip, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, approached the eunuch's chariot and asked him if he understand what he was reading in Isaiah.
    The eunuch said no, so Philip got in the chariot and expounded the passage, pointing him to Jesus as the fulfillment.

Afterward, the eunuch asked Philip, "okay, here's some water. What's to keep me from being baptized?"

Philip answered "If you believe, you may."

The eunuch said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

That was good enough for Philip.

The point is that Philip extensively explained the scriptures, and then made sure that he understood that faith precedes baptism.

When the eunuch said he believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God, he was making a pretty broad statement. He was saying that Jesus was the Messiah, the Anointed One Isaiah wrote about. He was also confessing that he believed Jesus was God in the flesh. And he was confessing that he understood the significance of Jesus' death on the cross to save sinners. And he did not understand that until taught by Philip.

#30 Tom Butler, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
  11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Several years ago, two young girls, around 9 or 10, responded to the invitation. The pastor motioned to me to come down and talk to them. I took them outside. Both wanted to be baptized. But during questioning, it became clear that they did not understand anything about baptism, about their relationship to God, or their need to be saved.

I so advised my pastor. Needless to say, their desire to be baptized was not sufficient without understanding.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why my church errs on side of caution, as we are trying to make those being dunked into the water already been washed by the Blood!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Very good! Contex is important, as the bible when addressing jews becoming saved and following yeshua were those who were fully aware of that baptism represented, and gentiles like us were apart from God, and did need some 'bringing up to speed" on what it all meant!