1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what is this?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Mar 24, 2008.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

We travel quite a bit and keep seeing "Bible Church" of this town and that. Is this a denomination? What are they? Some towns have no Baptist church to visit, but we are cautious where we take the grandkids. Are these ok, or not?

Thanks.

2. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I currently attend a Bible Church, they are non-denom, typically and if you had to pick a religion they closely resemble, it would be Baptist. They are a little more liberal in their theology than what I care. The one I attend is very large, largest church in the city I live near, the Senior Pastor is an extraordinary speaker and is extremely knowledgable. I enjoy most of his sermons.

I doubt my input helped any at all.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

My understanding is that a Bible church is loosly a "baptist church" in that they are independent congrgations and they would be credobaptist.
    So I think they would LOOK like a baptist church.

Beyond that I am not sure.

I would be my opinion that you could take a Bible church and find another church with Baptist on the sign that would be almost identical in belief.

But again, I am not all that knowledgeable so you might want to look into it further.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessarily more liberal, many are much more conservative - than what might be the question.

Some are loosly related to others in organizations. The main one is Independent Fundamental churches of America. There is a small group of Berean churches in NE and midwest.

Many started as Community churches where the town had one church and if you wanted to go to church that is where you went - remember Little House on the Prarrie. This is why some are a tad more liberal - they were accepting of a wider range of belief.

Another nation wide group is American Missionary fellowship churches. Used to be called American Sunday School Union. They majored on Sunday schools but in recent years have been stronger in churches. Their doctrinal statement could have a few semi trucks driven through side by side, but amazingly most are fairly conservative. Some are not so and there is a slight charismatic bent in some though it usually isn't a major part of the church.

IFCA and AMF are both online if you care to learn more.

5. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Somebody once explain to me that they are basicly baptist, but have a multiple elder organisation.

6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Somebody once explain to me that they are basicly baptist, but have a multiple elder organisation. "

Some do but I'd guess the majority are in the congregational area - usual pastor with deacon board with congregational meetings on most of the major stuff.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Keep in mind that many reformed Baptist congregations have multiple elders as well.

I am actually in favor of that.

I learned a bit from these posts but it is reiterating that within the variety of baptists, you could probably find a baptist church that was a lot like just about any Bible church.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Our local one is KJVO.

9. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was asked to speak in a Bible church in Southern OR and as I went to the pulpit I noticed a big white sign with black lettering. "ONLY THE KING JAMES BIBLE WILL BE USED HERE"

After quickly considering any quotes I had in my message and which Bible I was carrying I proceeded :thumbs: I was safe.