1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is "worldly"?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by IfbReformer, Jun 17, 2003.

1. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

What is "worldly"?

What I mean is how do you define it. I have
    been a Christian and IFB for about 21 years and I it seems to me we throw the "worldy" label around a bit too loosely.

We can all quote tons of verses that say we should
    not live "worldly" lives.

But what is "worldly"?

Strickly speaking from the english language
    point of view "worldly" would be "like the world"
    just like "godly" is being "like God" and such.

Are we not being "worldly" when we wear blue jeans because the world wears blue jeans.

Are we not being "worldly" when we watch
    TV(any tv) because the world watches TV.

Are we not being "worldly" when we eat pizza
    because the world likes to eat pizza.

I think you get my drift.

We dress like and eat like and live like the world - even the most conservative Christians do.

So when we say Christians should not "live like the world" what do we really mean?

I think it means that we do not do those things that the world does that are morally wrong and violate God's law.

I don't think it means as some Christians believe - that if blue sweatshirts are in fashion
    then Christians should not wear blue sweatshirts - even when there is nothing morally wrong with
    wearing blue sweatshirts.

I am curious what you guys think.

IFBReformer

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Worldly refers to things of the mindset of the unbeliever or the unbelieving worldview, or things that makes statements about the mindset of the unbeliever. Obviously as culture changes, some of those statements change.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think all Christians go through temporary spells of worldliness.

To me, it's when we show more devotion to the ordinary trappings of life than we do to God and His direction for us.

It's not a sin to have a car, computer, nice clothes, organized family, good job, comfortable relationships, expensive jewelry, or any other such thing.

And it's not a sin to go to movies, parties, vacations, the mall, or to school.

And it's not a sin to be concerned with maintaining your personal appearance.

But it is a sin to allow these and many other things to take the focus of your life away from God and His being glorified and adored and to use these things to exalt and promote yourself.

We become worldly when we make ourselves the kings or queens of our own private world.

We become worldly when we think we can put God in a special little box and only take Him out on Sundays or when we feel like we need Him.

Some Christians are more obviously worldly than others, but it's a sin we all are guilty of.

And it's not the things of life we have or are involved in that make us worldly. It's our attitude towards them.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O. [​IMG]
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Lust is not merely a desire or, even a strong desire. It is setting your heart upon something. Seting you sights upon it and being willing to go after it and, more importantly, being willing to set aside Godly principles in order to have what you have your heart set on. It can be power, entertainment, or improving your self-esteem. It boils down to selfishness and wrong priorities.

5. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Worldliness is the opposite of godliness.
    “For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.” (Titus 2:11-12).

Godliness is to be like unto God, it is to reflect the moral character of God. What is worldliness?
    When we think about that we usually think in terms of a list: Smoking: Drinking: Dancing: Gambling etc. But worldliness is much more than those things. Worldliness is a spirit, an attitude as well as an action. There is such a thing as “worldly thinking.” Worldliness is an attitude of friendship toward, a desire for and a wish to be recognised by the world system. Worldliness cancels out godliness and vice versa. Worldliness opposes godliness and vice versa.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Worldliness" is something one Christian enjoys that another Christian doesn't like.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Boy, I needed a good laugh! That is the funniest thing and the truest thing that I have read all day!

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O. [​IMG]
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

8. Tim

Tim New Member

Ironically, Paul sometimes referred to legalistic Jews as "worldly"--but the definition fits--wanting to be conformed to the godless system that appealed to them--finding righteousness by the Law.

9. ColoradoFB

ColoradoFB New Member

Or rather, it is something that one Christian enjoys that another feels jealous of wanting also.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like Artimaeus view when he quoted from 1 John 2

1 John 2
    15: Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
    16: For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
    17: And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

This is a functional definition of one who is “worldly”, one who is practicing these things concerning the lusts (desires) of seeing and having and getting.
    We can be worldly in what we are doing in the realm of Church if we desire to be seen, praised, etc. Those things may happen but we shouldn’t seek them and/or they shouldn’t motivate us.
    Of course, no one is perfect (I know from experience - [​IMG] ).

HankD

11. Word Traveler

Word Traveler New Member

Hi guys, As has been already stated, "worldliness is the opposite of Godliness". Worldliness is walking in "the flesh", instead of walking in "the Spirit" (Gal. 5:17-25). If we're walking in the Spirit, we won't be worldly! Those of the "world" are self-focused, always concerned about their own desires. Jesus' first discipleship requirement doesn't fit the worldly view (Mat.16:24). When we walk in the Spirit, we embrace the JOY concept: Jesus - Others - Yourself, in that order! In Christ, WT

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Most often, "Worldliness" is something Baptist-A does that Baptist-B doesn't like.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As my preacher, Forrest Gump, used to say, "Worldly is as worldly does".

Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are:</font>
    • immorality,</font>
    • impurity,</font>
    • sensuality,</font>
    • idolatry,</font>
    • sorcery,</font>
    • enmities,</font>
    • strife,</font>
    • jealousy,</font>
    • outbursts of anger,</font>
    • disputes,</font>
    • dissensions,</font>
    • factions,</font>
    • envying,</font>
    • drunkenness,</font>
    • carousing, and</font>
    • things like these</font>

14. Grizzly660

Grizzly660 New Member

"Worldly" has been a label that some have put on anything that they don't like. For example: My pastor grew up in a time that Women didn't wear slacks, so slacks (jeans, shorts, etc.) are "worldly" to him, although he has no scriptural support to say this. It's only his opinion. If I wear a suit and tie every day of my life, I still am dressing like the world because CEO's and Lawyers (2 groups that contain many crooks) wear suits and ties.

IMHO-
    God is perfect, so Godliness is sinlessness.
    The World is Sinful, so Worldliness is sinfullness.

When we sin (or walk in the flesh) we're "worldly" but when we're right with God and living Holy (walking in the spirit) we are Godly.
    So (IMHO again) "Worldly" should only be used to define sinfullness (as Dr. Bob outlined above.)

15. christine

christine New Member

I agree with most everything said here. I think worldliness is a term that christians throw out there, when they are upset by or don't like or are jealous of, whats being done or what is had by others. It is used to condemn and judge others.
    In my heart, I believe that worldliness is letting other things take the place of God, as was stated previously.
    You all made me smile today, thanks.
    Christine

16. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I agree. I believe it's in the eye of the beholder and something that the more uptight among us trivialize by throwing out like candy on Mardi Gras anytime they want to feel superior.

I think that's a part of it.

I agree with Bob's post but I would entend that to include not showing grace to one another.

17. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Worldliness is the greatest problem facing the Church today. Something we are all guilty of to some degree.

Here is a definition from a sermon I heard last year:

Worldliness is friendship with, or use of, anything from which God and his standards are militantly excluded, no matter how skilful and accomplished. It is also going beyond modesty and moderation in possessions and luxuries, or in concern for appearance, to gain happiness or approval.

You can read the full sermon here, it is definitely well worth taking 10 minutes to read it.

METROPOLITAN TABERNACLE

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In other words, worldliness is whatever I think it is.

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

In other words, worldliness is whatever I think it is. </font>[/QUOTE]God bless you, Aaron.

20. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

What "in the world" do you think John was referring to in these verses? What would have been considered worly activity in the time that this was written?