1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is wrong with Kentucky?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 14, 2006.

1. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

They are not allowed to cheat anymore so they are not as good as when they got away with cheating.

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Kentucky won the national championship in both 96 and 98 with no cheating.

That "cheating" rap is not really fair, imo. They are not...by a long shot...the only program to have been put on probation for infractions. Many many many programs have as well.

In adition, from what I understand, the NCAA rules book for college athletics is monsterously huge. And it contains so many possible infractions and tiny little details that could be construed as an infraction, nobody can possibly keep up with everything, and probably every single program in the country is guilty of breaking "something" every year.

Mike

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have a lot of firsthand contacts in the athletic dept. at UK and can say that, while UK is not the rogue, out-of-control program that should've earned it the death penalty back years ago, there are still major problems there. I believe Tubby is doing his best to keep order, but you just can't police people 24/7. An institution can keep up with the rules, but to keep donors and players in line is virtually impossible all the time.

There are some very ridiculous rules in NCAA compliance, and there are some ways they can be broken without much effort. Recently, while attending a Lady Vols game with his mom, Chattanooga native and UT football recruit Jacqued McClendon and his mother sat in seats that belonged to a donor/season ticket holder. (the seats at Thompson Boling are not well marked and it was a very icy day so there were some empty seats). UT self-reported the "infraction" and the McClendons were required to pay the cost not of the seats, but of the percentage of what the donor had to cough in order to buy the tickets, plus the cost of th tickets. Absolutely ridiculous.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Or maybe the SEC was a little better than most thought? And there was more parity around than most could or can bring themselves to admit, among Div.I, in the 2005-2006 season. Ever think about that? But I have to admit that for UK and UL it was disappointing given the preseason expectations. And both schools should be seriously? looking for coaches. Let's see- Tubby Smith with this UK team at 22-13 had the worst record at UK since some guy named Pitino and Pitino won a national championship at UK, in only eight years. And Tubby has only won one national title! And this Rick Pitino at UL had the worst record at 21-13 since some guy named Crum, who only won two championships in his 30 years of coaching UL.

Gimme a break! Some exceptional coaches never even made it to the Final Four one time. How long did it take my namesake, Eddie Sutton? Ray Meyer made it exactly twice in about 45 years, if I am right. Paul McBrayer, Peck Hickman, and Ed Diddle collectively made it one time among them, unless I'm mistaken, to name a three pretty good Div. I coaches in KY.

The really amazing story is that UNC made it there four times in the last decade with three different coaches, including a championship for Roy Williams in his second year at UNC. Long considered a great coach, he'd not won before, either. Personally I want to see SC repeat as NIT champ, and LSU and UF play for the NCAA title. It would serve to shut up Billy Packer and Dick Vitale for at least a couple of hours!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Well, if we were lucky, that is! :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Ed Sutton,

Regarding Louisville and Kentucky...

I dont agree with that.

Regarding UK, Tubby in my opinion is a very good coach. Hes not a Pitino or "Sheshefsky"(I've given up trying to spell it), but how many are? Tubby is a good man and a very good coach. He's proved it with a national championship, several elite 8's, and several extrememly high ranked teams...including the #1 spot a few times.

A mediocre coach does not accomplish those kinds of things.

Regarding Pitino, this years truly putrid Louisville team has not soured me in the least bit regarding Pitino. Sometimes freshman dont work out, sometimes the chemistry just isnt there, sometimes you have key injuries.

All of those happened to this Louisville team.

Pitino has proved that he has not lost it in any way. Taking Louisville from where they were when he became coach to back to Final 4 stature last year proved it. The Pitino "stamp" was all over that 5 year span.

He is still a very very special coach imo. A certain Hall of Famer. We are very fortunate that we have him and that he will be at UL until he retires.

Blessings,

Mike

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I seriously doubt Pitino stays until he retires. He does not have the track record of staying long term anywhere. I think another school will eventually come knocking and he will answer the door again.

7. D28guy

D28guy New Member

PastorSBC said...

I seriously doubt Pitino stays until he retires. He does not have the track record of staying long term anywhere. I think another school will eventually come knocking and he will answer the door again."</font>[/QUOTE]Ha ha! [​IMG] We've been through this before, brother!

All I can say is...

You'll see. :D

Pitino will stay at UL for many more years (not to mean 15 or more) and he will retire from Louisville.

God bless,

Mike

8. PastorSBC1303

Pitino has not stayed anywhere for an extended period. Why should I believe that Louisville will be the place he does? I know, I know, he loves city life, he owns horses. Am I to believe that there are no other places where he could enjoy himself?

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Pitino has talked like 9/11 changed everything and quality of life means more to him now. He is welcomed in Louisville and will be allowed to remain there as long as UofL is a competitive team.

10. PastorSBC1303

I agree he will be allowed to stay for as long as he wants. I just don't think he will. Things change quickly in coaching. When the right school comes knocking on his door, he will open the door and move on.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I dont agree with that.

Regarding UK, Tubby in my opinion is a very good coach. Hes not a Pitino or "Sheshefsky"(I've given up trying to spell it), but how many are? Tubby is a good man and a very good coach. He's proved it with a national championship, several elite 8's, and several extrememly high ranked teams...including the #1 spot a few times.

A mediocre coach does not accomplish those kinds of things.

Regarding Pitino, this years truly putrid Louisville team has not soured me in the least bit regarding Pitino. Sometimes freshman dont work out, sometimes the chemistry just isnt there, sometimes you have key injuries.

All of those happened to this Louisville team.

Pitino has proved that he has not lost it in any way. Taking Louisville from where they were when he became coach to back to Final 4 stature last year proved it. The Pitino "stamp" was all over that 5 year span.

He is still a very very special coach imo. A certain Hall of Famer. We are very fortunate that we have him and that he will be at UL until he retires.

Blessings,

Mike
    </font>[/QUOTE]Uh- do you know the meaning of 'sarcasm'? :rolleyes: If you are unsure, check out my above post. [​IMG] It is my attempt to give meaning. :cool:

Ed

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

BTW, the Duke coach's last name is spelled "K-R-Z-Y-Z-E-W-S-K-I". I assume you can handle the first name OK. You can even use the widely accepted nickname of "Coach K", as many do, and not have to worry too much about the spelling. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed [​IMG]

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Might not have all that much disagreement as to the first sentence.

As to the second, however, care to expound on this just a little bit? :rolleyes: As of April. 1. 2006?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree completely! I am not really sure who I like, but no doubt Thomas is not on the list. I personally would like to see them get a guy that has already been a successful coach in a program. </font>[/QUOTE]Hey, go after Tubby... </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, there AF! I heard the job had been filled! :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Agreed. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Same request, here, as well, on the expounding part. :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Looks like I may have been wrong. I heard a 'rumor' on the radio that UK plans a press conference on the BB program Tuesday AM. There may be something to this, behind the scenes, intrigue. Supposedly, there have been some pro team contact Tubby Smith, and someone has called both John Pelphrey and Billy D., but nothing can be official, I'm sure, until the NCAA is completed, at this stage. Stay tuned.

I personally think Tubby would make a mistake to take a pro job, and in fact, think he is one of the better coaches we could have, let alone get.
    I'd hate to see this happen. I'm sure not 100% of so-called UK fans are in lock-step agreement with me. It just saddens me, if it is true. :( FTR, some of the so-called unnamed sources reported in advance that Tubby would be the new coach, before he was hired so there does seem to be some credibility, here.
    Ed

17. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if Donovan would win the championship on Monday, he would jump to UK if the job was offered to him.

I don't think Tubby is going anywhere, but if he did the Wildcat Nation would rejoice!

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

AF Guy!
    April Fool! :D Hey, it's still April 1 here! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Don't be too sure that all "the Wildcat Nation would rejoice!" Considering that his overall record is better than any of his competitors who've been around a while, in the SEC, since he's been here. A couple of more years like this one, and you might see the movers and shakers up in arms. But they are not ready to go there yet, IMO, as a group. And when and if Tubby leaves, retires, get fired, steps up to A.D. or whatever the gripes will be the same for the successor after a few years without a title. Look at N. C. State. The gripe was style over substance. Bye, Herb. You didn't beat Coach K enough to suit us, and besides, your style is boring.

Last time I checked, there were no style points awarded in Basketball. Had there been, I'm pretty sure UCLA, George Mason, and LSU would not have made the FF, because the 'style points' of Thomas would have been erased by Big Baby sliding around and onto the court. 'Course he did slide around just enough to be the SEC player of the year, in the process.
    Ed

20. PastorSBC1303

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I just noticed this. Great April Fools Ed!