1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is wrong with Kentucky?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 14, 2006.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Since I may be out of town tomorrow, I'm going to give a 48 hour notice. Let's wrap it up.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Awww come on, let's talk about KY losing some more? :D [​IMG]

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

>
    Guess we have put this on hold for another six months, Hunh? Anyway Pastor, I'll congratulate you on Duke winning the title this year, :rolleyes: , if you congratulate me on UConn. :rolleyes: And then we both can congratulate Tom V. on how well UT did, as well! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thompson-Bolling, from what I hear, still has quite a bit of space in the rafters, at least on the 'Mens' side. I'll have to admit, that your comment of UCLA being a shell of its former self, and mine about them trying to exit the ranks of top programs seems to have been a bit premature, in both cases, in retrospect. Oh yeah, how about a vote or two for Billy D. for coach of the year, there, Tom? He did happen to win this title after losing 60% of his scoring from last year, with this year's team. I'll give credit where it is due. Both John C. from one end of TN and Bruce P. from the other end of the state did a fair job this year, arguably better than Rick and Tubby. And congrats as well to Billy D., John Brady, Ben Howland and Jim Larranga(sp.?) for making the Final Four. With the possible exception of Larranga, I'd not be surprised to see any of the group back, at some point in the future. And Duke may win a national title yet, this evening, there Pastor. Think of that. Just like many had predicted at the start of the year- Duke as national champs under Coach G.

>

Ed

PS. Oh, did I have the wrong initial after the word "Coach"? Sometimes I do get confused when names aren't actually given, you see, and we have names I can't spell very well.

4. PastorSBC1303

Yeah I guess so, but I shall look forward to it then :D

Yeah we both hit a homerun there, huh :rolleyes: . Duke and UConn are still 2 of the top programs in the nation.

I was more referring to the UCLA of the last 10 years. But it does seem that their new coach has them back on track to be a force each year. It is probably good for college basketball to have UCLA be good.

No doubt here, he did a great job of coaching. But I am sure all those Vol fans will be doing that "what if" thing since they beat them 2 times during the year. But that powerhouse Witchita State was just too much for em. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Yes they just might do that.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm not sure that UCLA was all that far down over the last decade or so, even though we tend to perceive it that way. They did win it all in 1995. Granted, if you put them up against the ten titles in twelve years of UCLA from 1963-75, they were down. But so has every other Div. I program been throughtout its history. Only UC in the FF, - five years straight, even comes remotely close, IMO.
    Ed.

6. PastorSBC1303

UCLA under Steve Lavin was a shell of its former self. 1995 was before Lavin.

7. D28guy

D28guy New Member

There was a press conferance today in Lexington.

Rajon Rondo is gone like the wind.

He is going to enter the NBA draft, and he said he is going to hire and agent, wich means he cant come back.

And I say...good. I personally believe that he was a major part of some of the internal problems that plagued Kentucky this year.

Mike

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

This part is true, at least that 1995 was before Lavin. I'm not sure that Lavin was all that bad, before the 2002-03 debacle, however. [He was UCLA coach for seven years, after Jim Harrick, who has one of the greatest resumes in the sport. Took four different teams to the dance, and left usually with the NCAA looking at something, if not then, then shortly after. [​IMG] ] He (Lavin) won as UCLA's coach, 24, 24, 22, 21, 23, and 21 games, went to the dance six straight years, and to the "Sweet Sixteen" at least three times in that period. [​IMG] He just didn't "win it all". :confused: And some of this was with his own AD looking for an excuse to ax him, in favor of someone else.

"Sure Steve, your job is secure! Can't talk now; I got John Caliperi on the other line, and Rick Pitino on 'Hold.', then I got to call Pat Riley back. I'll get back to you after I talk to them!"
    Great for recruiting, huh? :rolleyes:
    >
    "Just sign right here, kid, on the dotted line, and play for me. I'll help you develop into a great basketball player! Well, that is, provided I don't get fired within the next ten days, or something like that." :(
    Ed

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

What is wrong with KY basketball is the same thing that is wrong with UCLA basketball. A less than perfect season is not enough for the fans. KY should go at least 40-0 each and every year. :rolleyes: Who cares that one only has about 30 games scheduled, overall, plus the tourney.

How did someone who is not that good a coach, in the eyes of some, manage to go 19-0 in 2003 in the SEC, winning both the regular season and conference tourney without a loss, something that one had to go back to the early 1950s to duplicate? :confused:

I am reminded of the conversation between Joe B. Hall and "Clean" Gene Bartow, shortly after Bartow was named the head coach at UCLA after Wooden's retirement. Hall told Bartow to stand back to back with him. "That way," Hall said, "they can only hit one of us, and neither of us can be 'shot in the back'." [​IMG] Good words from the 'Old Fisherman', himself. :cool:
    Ed