1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is wrong with Kentucky?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 14, 2006.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Funny, AF Guy. I'll take that as a time joke. I'll laugh when I get time! And I'm not by any stretch, a Duke fan.
    FTR, you probably would not be interested, but 'K' does talk to his players during the game, constantly. He does the same in games as he does in practice, no whistle. He has never used one and does not allow the assistants to use one, either. He wants them attuned to his voice and the voices of the other coaches, constantly, so they can pick it out, even over the noise of a game, without having to divert their attention from the game. Just a point of information.

Ed

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Funny article. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I am in no way a Duke fan. It would not matter to me if Duke never won another game.

I am just objective enough to realize that Duke is in the top tier of college programs right now.

I would love for IU to be at the level of Duke right now. But that is just not the case.

Kentucky is a great basketball program. But they are not the #1 program right now in the nation.

3. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tonight in the 2nd half, UK looked like the team of old. It was an embarrasing performance. Players are not moving on offense, not communicating on defense, etc, etc, etc... Tubby looked confused as ever on the sidelines. No matter what happens the rest of the season, I hope Tubby excepts a job in the NBA.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Should I send your name to Mitch Barnhart to put on the 'short list'?
    Ed

5. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No thanks, but I have many names I would be willing to give him...

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Ya' think maybe he'll call for some suggestions?
    You got 'Happy' at the top of that list?
    Ed

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Its actually Mickey DeMoss, not Vickey.

But I agree, she's doing a fantastic job.

Mike
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, brain cramp [​IMG]

Love your town of Berea. Have a couple of friends who pastor there. Had some family go to Berea College.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I couldn't disagree more. Having lived near there my whole life, and in the heart of bluegrass country for many years, I can tell you that I've been shocked at the lack of basic, rudimentary knowledge I've seen among their fans. I can't tell you how many die hard UK fans I've had to explain the three-second rule to, how many fouls you get before you foul out, why that funny arc is gives you three points if you make a shot behind it, why they don't "jump ball" anymore, etc.
    As for Duke's foul article, an old joke used to be that the best-selling book never written was "We Got Robbed: An Explanation for every UK loss in every sport since 1900." To hear most UK fans talk, they get jobbed by the officials in every game they play. I had to endure one particular brood of fans at a UT-UK football game a few years back. They just knew that UT had hometown referees (again, against the rules) and that this caused the outcome. The score? UT 59, UK 21.

I have much affection for the UK nation. But they need to do two things: 1, study the rules of their sports. 2, stop blaming the officials for everything. Sometimes, you just get beaten. Hopefully, UK will not blame the refs when my Vols leave Rump Arena with a victory tomorrow night :D

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, I'd like to see the 'jump-ball' returned to the game, and palming the ball, and carrying it called everytime it happens. The so-called 'hesitation dribble' is carrying the ball or/and palming, every time! I bet you could have a turnover stat of 50-47 or somewhere thereabouts and scores of 42-39 for about a season until the rules were followed for this.
    Ed

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This year, palming/carrying is supposed to be the "singled-out" rule, that is, the rule that refs are to crack down on.

I agree that the jump ball be restored. I believe that anyone on the floor at the time be permitted to jump for the team. The next rule that needs to be changed is where you can call time out while jumping out of bounds.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Apparently the refs didn't get the message very well although I admit I've seen about three that would have not been called last year, IMO. The problem is that it should be about three hundred and ninety three.

I prefer the 'jump it up' between the two who 'tied it up', myself, as that used to be, and still is in the NBA.

And I fully agree with you on the time out calls, out of bounds and down on the floor, as well, If you are not 'planted' or moving and on your feet, and in control, no time out.

Ed

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Despite some horrible calls and a couple of cold spells where nothing would fall, Tennessee beat UK last night in Rupp Arena for the first time since 1999.

If Bruce Pearl isn't SEC AND national coach of the year, it'll be robbery.

From what I saw, Patrick Sparks is officially not the player he was last year. I think he was a good player who had a great year.

I wonder if Tubby regrets all those comments he made about Bruce Pearl at SEC media days now? [​IMG]

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Hey, You're starting to sound like a certain AF guy wearing an "ORANGE" shirt! [​IMG] [​IMG] As to National coach, ya' think a case might be made for the guy at the OTHER end of the state of TN, maybe? :confused: What about Karl Hobbs, who is still running 'under the radar', IMO, at George Washington there in the shadow of the White House? Think either of them deserve a little consideration? :confused:
    Ed [​IMG]

14. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is the same ole story.

We can't guard against the 3 ever (what is so hard about this?)

We can't shoot the 3 (There has to be someone Tubby can recruit that can hit a typical jump shot)

We stand around on offense and just play the watch game (They all needed cameras)

Bruce Pearl is definitely national coach of the year candidate.

15. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Maybe when Tubby is fired, KY can get Pearl :D

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Heh! Heh! Chalk one up for the SBC1303 guy! Ed

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

A small one, :rolleyes: you understand!! Hey! ya' gotta realize, he still wants to pick Duke over UConn, which (UConn) last night destroyed Syracuse by 23 points, while the night before that, Duke managed to barely squeak by UNC, by 4. Granted UNC is a half-game better with the record at 14-6 vs 16-7, but neither of them, even with each one with a NCAA championship in the last three years, are giving their fans any reason to mortgage the family farm for tickets to the Final Four, at this time. :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ed [​IMG]

[ February 09, 2006, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: EdSutton ]

18. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pearl is definitely a guy I would go after.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Pearl is currently in talks to have his contract extended and have a raise that would keep him in orange. He is no doubt the hottest coach in America. I do think there are a couple of coaches that could receive more votes for national coach of the year (He has SEC coach of the year sewn up, IMHO). Let's compare:

- John Beilein, West Virginia. Done a good job, but mostly with transfers from other D-I programs. If St. Bonaventure hadn't gotten axed, would he have two of his stars? RPI ranking of #30.
    - Karl Hobbs, George Washington. Done an outstanding job this year. However, they play in the A-10, where the next best team has a 14-7 record. 1-1 against the only ranked teams this year. RPI ranking is # 38.
    - Bruce Pearl, Tennessee. Took a team that did not qualify for the NIT last year and has them tied for the conference lead and a projected #2 seed. Ranked # 3 in the RPI, the Vols have played three games against teams ranked in the top five at the time of the game, winning two of them (Texas & Florida, loss to Memphis).

20. GLC

GLC New Member

Yes, all those are problems. However, the most glaring problem is a big hole in the roster. No Power Forward (4 spot). B. Perry & S. Thomas are really small forwards. There are no real power forwards on this entire roster. When the outside shot is not falling and Morris is doubled, the offense is absent. Plus, when faced with guarding and blocking out another team's power players, KY has no answer. NIT, here we come!