1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is wrong with Kentucky?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 14, 2006.

1. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, all those are problems. However, the most glaring problem is a big hole in the roster. No Power Forward (4 spot). B. Perry & S. Thomas are really small forwards. There are no real power forwards on this entire roster. When the outside shot is not falling and Morris is doubled, the offense is absent. Plus, when faced with guarding and blocking out another team's power players, KY has no answer. NIT, here we come! </font>[/QUOTE]I agree. Again, it shows Tubby's weakness regarding recruiting. I saw a chart the other day that showed that more players have transferred or left UK under Tubby than any of the other UK coaches combined. They just don't want to play for Tubby and his style of basketball these days. Thus, our program has regressed where we don't win the top recruits because they just don't want to come here. Not too long ago, we had to quit accepting players because everyone wanted to play for the big blue...

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Just another reason why KY is not the #1 program in college basketball at the moment. :cool: [​IMG]

3. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just another reason why KY is not the #1 program in college basketball at the moment. :cool: [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]If Tubby stays much longer, I will submit to your assessment.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree. Again, it shows Tubby's weakness regarding recruiting. I saw a chart the other day that showed that more players have transferred or left UK under Tubby than any of the other UK coaches combined. They just don't want to play for Tubby and his style of basketball these days. Thus, our program has regressed where we don't win the top recruits because they just don't want to come here. Not too long ago, we had to quit accepting players because everyone wanted to play for the big blue... [/QB][/QUOTE]

With all respect for the Air Force, I don't think this is accurate, as to numbers of transfers. I have no clue as to who they are speaking of, but I'm hard put to remember very many transfers. In fact, the only one that jumps out immediately, to my memory, recently, is Marvin Stone, during the Tubby years. And I've been following KY basketball for 45 years, and missed few games in broadcast form, one way or the other.
    I assure you more players left during the reign of Adolph Rupp(42 yr.) (including future coach Joe B. Hall, and a close personal friend and high school classmate of mine, Wayland Long), Joe B. (13 yrs.), my own namesake, Eddie Sutton, although that figure for him was skewed by an impending probation, and probably Rick Pitino (8 yr.) on a per year average. Eddie Sutton was only here four years and the rest are/were in the 10 year range, aside from Rupp who I believe started coaching when the bottom was still in the peach basket! (Heh! Heh!) Players that may have decided NOT to come to UK, for whatever reason, as with most institutions, are myriad. The average 'big time' program only gets fewer than about one out of ten that they may be even interested in, for total scholarships are now limited to, I believe, 13 or possibly 14.
    First, I don't think any player 'kicked off' any team as a disciplinary matter, should be in these statistics, although I am not aware of more than a couple that has happened to recently, in the last, say, 15 years, although more may have been warranted.
    Even given the number of 'bolts' by some of the more talented? players for a hoped for 'court of dreams', a la Naz'r Mohammed, Kelena Azubuke, Marquis Estill (who once offered to become a walk-on, BTW, just to free up a scholarship for another additional player), and Rex Chapman before that, back when, the number of open scholarships that are available in about any year is usually four or at best five, on average.
    I've just looked at the rosters of about 25 'big time' teams on the Internet, and the largest rosters I found for any of these major schools is 18 for UCLA, 6 of whose playing time has been zilch, and, 17 for Michigan State. Most rosters seem to be in the range of 12 to 14 with one or two seemingly walk-ons, or hangers-on, given the amount of playing time. Allowing for one of the scholarships to be for a red-shirt, you have 12 more or less evenly distributed over 4 years. One realistically has four, and only four 'picks' to 'get it right'.
    So, I'll agree, if you want ot criticize the talent evaluation and recruiting by Tubbby, Rick, Joe Blow, or Tom Smith, go ahead. That's fair game.
    If you want to skew the statistics, to either praise OR knock a coach by attempting to inject some manufactured stats, about how many may have 'left'- Sorry, That's hitting below the belt!
    Ed

5. PastorSBC1303

Another loss today for KY. I watched the 2nd half of the game. There was some great back and forth action for a few minutes with both teams hitting some big 3's.

So what are the odds for KY missing the Tourney right now?

6. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will be lucky to make it.

This will be Tubby's 4th 10 loss season (Unbelievable)

He can't even coach defense any longer. Every team we play shoots lights out and hits easy layups.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

7. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Again, it shows Tubby's weakness regarding recruiting. I saw a chart the other day that showed that more players have transferred or left UK under Tubby than any of the other UK coaches combined. They just don't want to play for Tubby and his style of basketball these days. Thus, our program has regressed where we don't win the top recruits because they just don't want to come here. Not too long ago, we had to quit accepting players because everyone wanted to play for the big blue... </font>[/QUOTE]With all respect for the Air Force, I don't think this is accurate, as to numbers of transfers. I have no clue as to who they are speaking of, but I'm hard put to remember very many transfers. In fact, the only one that jumps out immediately, to my memory, recently, is Marvin Stone, during the Tubby years. And I've been following KY basketball for 45 years, and missed few games in broadcast form, one way or the other.
    I assure you more players left during the reign of Adolph Rupp(42 yr.) (including future coach Joe B. Hall, and a close personal friend and high school classmate of mine, Wayland Long), Joe B. (13 yrs.), my own namesake, Eddie Sutton, although that figure for him was skewed by an impending probation, and probably Rick Pitino (8 yr.) on a per year average. Eddie Sutton was only here four years and the rest are/were in the 10 year range, aside from Rupp who I believe started coaching when the bottom was still in the peach basket! (Heh! Heh!) Players that may have decided NOT to come to UK, for whatever reason, as with most institutions, are myriad. The average 'big time' program only gets fewer than about one out of ten that they may be even interested in, for total scholarships are now limited to, I believe, 13 or possibly 14.
    First, I don't think any player 'kicked off' any team as a disciplinary matter, should be in these statistics, although I am not aware of more than a couple that has happened to recently, in the last, say, 15 years, although more may have been warranted.
    Even given the number of 'bolts' by some of the more talented? players for a hoped for 'court of dreams', a la Naz'r Mohammed, Kelena Azubuke, Marquis Estill (who once offered to become a walk-on, BTW, just to free up a scholarship for another additional player), and Rex Chapman before that, back when, the number of open scholarships that are available in about any year is usually four or at best five, on average.
    I've just looked at the rosters of about 25 'big time' teams on the Internet, and the largest rosters I found for any of these major schools is 18 for UCLA, 6 of whose playing time has been zilch, and, 17 for Michigan State. Most rosters seem to be in the range of 12 to 14 with one or two seemingly walk-ons, or hangers-on, given the amount of playing time. Allowing for one of the scholarships to be for a red-shirt, you have 12 more or less evenly distributed over 4 years. One realistically has four, and only four 'picks' to 'get it right'.
    So, I'll agree, if you want ot criticize the talent evaluation and recruiting by Tubbby, Rick, Joe Blow, or Tom Smith, go ahead. That's fair game.
    If you want to skew the statistics, to either praise OR knock a coach by attempting to inject some manufactured stats, about how many may have 'left'- Sorry, That's hitting below the belt!
    Ed [/QB][/QUOTE]

I will look for that statistic about players leaving.

But you have to admit that his recruiting is very average and average for UK is horrible! When the leader of the team is a walk on something is wrong.

I am getting more frustrated by the game.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"I am getting more frustrated by the game."

I will offer again to send YOUR name to Mitch! Maybe he can get back to you BEFORE the U. of MO comes calling, seeing that Quinn Snyder stepped down yesterday!
    Ed

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Kentucky will have to collapse further to not make it to the tourney. Kentucky is one of those "silver spoon" teams that always seem to have things handed to them. Same holds true for Duke and/or North Carolina always ending up playing in Greensboro or Charlotte in the 1st round of the NCAA. Funny how that happens.
    I digress...UK is still projected as an 8 seed in most pairings I've seen. I think another 2 or 3 losses will require them going to the NIT.

How about this: U of L may not even make the Big East tourney, and UK (unlikely) not making the NCAA. What if they play each other in the NIT? How up for that game will the Bluegrass state be?

10. PastorSBC1303

Tom that would be something.

I am disappointed in the play of Indiana recently. It is causing the fire Mike Davis chant to start big again. They even got a website going firemikedavis.com [​IMG]

So we may be looking for a new coach. Many in Indiana want Steve Alford to come back to Indiana and coach, but I am not sure that is going to happen.

11. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

My wife and her family are big Ky. fans. All I've ever heard from them is they need another coach. I tell them Adolph Rupp isn't coming back and they liked the winning by Rick but didn't care for him. They want to win with instate players. Tubby is trying to do what Florida is doing now, not going for the top but trying to get the next group of players that will stay for 4 or 5 years if they can pass.
    Joe B. Hall won and they didn't like him, they are like Al. football fan, Al. fans won't be happy till Bear comes back and I don't think Ky. fans will be happy till Adolph Rupp comes back.

12. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]I can't stand it...I just can't stand it. [​IMG]

13. PastorSBC1303

You gotta stop holding in how you feel [​IMG]

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm shocked Alford wasn't named coach before Davis. I thought it was as sure as the sun rising in the east.

Truthfully, I don't see Davis as being that bad. He took IU to a national title game a few years back, and y'all are still a Big 10 power. It's just that Thad Motta has taken Ohio State up a notch or two and Illinois shows no (immediate) signs of slowing down. The Big 10 is still wide open, but if you do get rid of Davis, just keep your hands off of Bruce Pearl [​IMG]

15. PastorSBC1303

I don't think Davis has been as bad as many others. But he is in a no win situation following Bobby Knight. No matter what he does there are going to be people who still want Knight and if they cannot have Knight they want Alford.

As wrong as it probably is, I think Davis will serve as a buffer guy between Knight and whoever the next coach is and that next coach will take Indiana back up to the top consistently.

16. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

You gotta stop holding in how you feel [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]I think it is the crash from having such high exp[ectations at the beginning of the year. Of course, that is true every year. [​IMG]

I should feel better come spring when I start looking forward to Midnight Madness.
    [​IMG]

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Tennessee's RPI ranking is now # 2 in the nation, right behind Duke.

Did you see in the papers that Tubby is having "tryouts"? This week's practices were graded. That is, all roster players were graded. All 5 starting spots were open. It was up to the players to "earn" the starting spots.

What is your reaction, Big Blue Nation?

18. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Tubby has done a great job of blaming everyone and everything on their lackluster season (He even fired the team trainer earlier) yet he has not even mentioned his own name in the equation.

He needs to stick to like 7 core players and play them. Quit going 12 deep and trying to decide on a lineup. The season is nearly over and he still can't make up his mind.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No one is stepping up, it seems like. Then again, at UK, you don't have the luxury of a "rebuilding year," much like with UT football.

20. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We pulled out a victory at home versus a very average GA team. We are in big trouble as we end up with a very tough schedule including TN and FL. Here is a very interesting article from CBS Sportsline that is pretty accurate minus the UK fan comment:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9235357