1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is wrong with Websites like Myspace and Facebook

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by kmdiva, Feb 22, 2007.

1. kmdiva

kmdiva New Member

:confused: :confused: I've heard a lot of baptist preachers get on this hobby horse lately and I'm just curious the reasons why these websites are frowned upon.

I've also been thinking about cancelling my facebook page because one of the people listed as my friend has a profile pic of a frat boy, and that doesn't look good for my testimony.:confused: :confused:

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

What did they say while they were bucking?

3. kmdiva

kmdiva New Member

The problem is, that I've only ever heard a passing comment, never a real reason given. And I'm just curious what others think.

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Well, for my general thoughts. Myspace, and the like, are for the most part, physical representations of the spritual emptiness of the people of today. These people, with perhaps some exception, are lacking Jesus Christ in their life. I don't go there any more, but what I recall was a seeming effort by people to try to outsexy each other, with images highlighting the special parts of their anatomy while wearing clothing that was far from modest. There is glorification of cussing, alcohol, partying and rock and roll, things that I would expect it to be natural for Baptist preachers to preach against. Then after all that sin glorification you look over at their profile and for religion it will say "Christian-Other" or something similar :confused: . Then of course there is the highly publicized elements of the stalking and consensual hook-ups that have lead to rapes and murders etc. So while, I can see many reasons why the sites would be frowned upon I'd almost be inclined to ask, what are the elements that we should smile about?

5. kmdiva

kmdiva New Member

That's how I'm beginning to feel. I created a facebook account to re-establish friendships that I had lost after moving, however I'm beginning to realize some of those friendships were worth loosing. It is nice to be in contact with old friends, but I sometimes wonder if too much contact is such a great idea.

6. His Blood Spoke My Name

We are told to be a light to those in darkness.

I see no reason to remove your Facebook account if it indeed is proclaiming Christ. However, if you are claiming Christ but portraying the world with those aspects pointed out above, are you truly being a light to those in darkness.

If there is anything questionable in your page, remove it. Ask God to tell you what to put there that will cause one to see Christ and not the world.

7. kmdiva

kmdiva New Member

It's not what is on my facebook page that is bad, it is what is on the pages of those who are listed as my "friends." I can control what I say, but I cannot control what they choose to put on their own pages. My real problem is if I just delete the names of my non-christian friends (the ones who use profanity and do not dress modestly) then I seem "holier than thou." And I may push them furthur away from Christ. If I don't do anything I worry that their words and pictures will hurt my testimony, even though there is nothing objectionable about my website.

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

My MySpace friends are from all walks of life. If someone wants to draw conclusions about my faith from who I friend, that's not on me.

9. His Blood Spoke My Name

if your friends were in the same town as you, I would say remove the list, or the page itself.

If in a different town, you cannot truly be said to be keeping company with them, IMO.

Be a light to them. Leave the page and put a disclaimer at bottom that the views of your friends are not necessarily the views you have.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Because my myspace is quite visible in my student's circles (most of them have me as a friend, and vice-versa), it puts me "in the neighborhood."
    • I've gotten to talk with many very lost kids who would never come to church and ask me what they willingly ask online.
    • My presence serves as a reminder to our Christian kids to be who they ought to be.
    • Since I'm a friend, I have access to so many of my kids who have their profile set to "private." If I go away, so does my access. As it is now, if they have stuff up on their page that they shouldn't, I can--shall we say--offer "encouragement.":saint: :laugh:
    • If you have a social networking page, be very transparent and accountable. You're a lot closer to the edge of temptation there.
    Of course, some folks could say that about the BB. You might not see nudity, but some of us do show our rear ends around here :laugh: .

This is a bit simplistic, but I encourage my kids in this way:
    "If you have stuff about God, and stuff about our church and youth group on your page--and then on another part of your page you have stuff that dishonors God, your church, your youth group--one of those needs to go."

11. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

12. gekko

gekko New Member

christians all too often focus on the sin that so evidently throbs outwardly from many things in this dark and dismal world...

come on people - we already know it's all dark - you gonna run from everything that has sin related to it? i guess you think you should. but what'll happen to ya when God lets you go through those things? explode? or implode? take your pick.

unless you gon' trust in God.

again - christians all too often focus on the sin that eminates from so many things in this world.

can we for once look at things optimistically?

God bless

p.s. - www.myspace.com/gekfromthahood & www.myspace.com/acousticwaves are two of my accounts - i don't have facebook - cause i don't have pictures. :p

13. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

That's a pretty God glorifying site, particularly that which you have control over the content of. The things I would question though...is that a bottle of cider Jessica is holding in her hands and has on top of the fridge? Did you notice Ash's pictures? Not only are those some hot college chicks showing quite a bit of skin but what's in all of those dixie cups?

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

When someone wants me to add them as a friend, I visit their site first. If the site is inappropriate, I do not add them as my friend.

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

If I know the person in real life, they're friended, no matter what.

When I unfriend folks, it's due to the way they've treated me, not their lifestyle.

16. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I 'unfriended' someone in my family because of the language on their site. I don't want to be connected with that. They know why I 'unfriended' them and they understand and all is well. It works both ways. They don't want all that religious stuff on their site. :laugh: