1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your definition of cult?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by stanleyg, Oct 1, 2006.

1. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

What is your definition of a cult?

With the latter being noted, my personal viewpoint is that any form of political correctness (pc) Christianity meets the criterion to qualify as a cult.

The group pc leaders practice the indoctrination of taboo titles. The pc followers are conditioned to omit speaking the head title in lieu of the subtitle.

The psychology enables the group leaders to elicit mind control (i.e. see no evil, hear no evil speak no evil).

The latter compels the pc followers to cough up either tithes or taxes by exploiting their paranoid feelings.

The pc followers are literally deaf. They will argue or fight you until the sun goes down that they are right.

If they were to re-train their ears to hear the head title over the subtitle, then the Holy Ghost will resurrect them with baptism by fire.

The power of the Holy Spirit will begin to stir up their minds to be as Christ , rather than to serve as the antichrist.

Amen!

2. gekko

gekko New Member

why dont you lets us answer before putting down your answer which contains the defenition from other dictionaries?

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I ain't 'zackly sure on the definition, but I'll be more than happy to classify any as that who happen to want that moniker, no matter what they believe, agree with them or not. :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: :tongue3:

Ed

4. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

When I start a thread, it doesn't make sense that I take a number and wait in line to state my viewpoint. First come - first serve. I came first so I posted first.

5. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am quite content to belong to the cult of Jesus Christ....nothing anyone says can make me change this now:godisgood:

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Cult - requires someone at the lead "Doing a lot of pronouncing" and not much else.

Hmmm.... Where have I seen that before?

In Christ,

Bob

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

A cult is an authoritarian group, usually religious, that has some or all of these traits:
    1. Does not tell prospective members up front what they really believe or all they believe
    2. Manipulates members with specific methods such as poor diet, little sleep, constant activity, guided imagery, praise and then criticism alternated, shaming before a group, and other methods
    3. A Christian cult is one which claims to be Christian or to follow the Bible but departs from Christian doctrine and often has heretical teachings
    4. The leader(s) have all the power and wealth of the group
    5. The members are often isolated from society and family

Not all cults have all of these.

Being pc is not being a cult. A cult is a tightly run group that controls its members through the methods listed above and other methods.

Cults include: the Mormon Church, JW's, groups like the one run by Koresh, the Heavens Gate group, the group run by the Rev. Moon, several groups headed by Hindu gurus, and literally thousands of others, some very small, that never come into the public eye.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Depends on who is doing the judging. :wavey:

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A religious "cult or "sect" is one which claims to be Christian or to follow the Bible but departs from Christian doctrine and often has heretical teachings".

This is the view that the Jews had of the early Christians.

This is the view that the Catholic Church had of the Protesting Catholics.

This is the view that many today have of groups like JW's and even of Catholics so I suppose you could say it has come full circle.

In Christ,

Bob

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But if we stand on God's word as true, we are able to label heresies according to God's word. I hope no one here is going to defend the theology of any of the groups I mentioned.

Also, a cult does not have to claim to be Christian; there are many non-Christian cults. I've been involved with countercult ministries and been to many conferences and done a lot of reading on this. Also, I took a course at seminary on Cults. This does not make me an expert, but I happen to know some about it. I have also given 2 public talks on cults.

People get uptight about the term "cult" so fine, don't use it. But we are still to judge teachings according to the Bible and reject those that go against it. That remains true whether you want to use the word "cult" or not.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that false doctrine must be exposed for what it is - no matter what the source. Christ was quick to expose it in the one TRUE church started by God at Sinai.

When you list all the false doctrines accumulated over the centuries by the RCC - you find an impressive list. "Imagine if you will" that such a group "were to have STARTED up last year" teaching that it's leaders were infallible - teaching holy war against heretics - a war of "extermination" against those that opposed it - praying to the dead - turning bread into God ... the list goes on and on.

I know of no other Christian cult (no matter how awful) that compiles such a huge list. And yet I am not ready to use that "cult" term for the RCC -- even while I AM ready to detail all of the doctrinal errors it is promoting. The stigmata's - the singing and chanting around Mary's altars, self-torment as penance the infatuation with apparitions at Fatima etc - the followers literally work themselves into altered mental states.

I still think they are Christian.

In Christ,

Bob

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am not disagreeing with you at all Marcia. The reason I said it depends on who is doing the judging is because I have heard several on here call others on here heretics and also if we disagree with the beliefs of some really strong then we might be apt to call them a cult and really mean it.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I might be able, given enough time like, say, three seconds or so, to come up with a suggestion or two. :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

14. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I was wondering since this tread is on cults...
    My cousin goes to a Baptist church and we were talking the other day at a bible study at a coffee shop and she made the remark her pastor won't let her go to another church. Is this a type of controling cult attitude? It concerned me to where this man was dictating to her where she could go and possibly what she can do. Can a cult start in any denomination church? Maybe it begins with the leader/preacher getting out of control? Just a few thoughts. :flower:

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Language Cop is glad to see that you "tread on cults", but I told him to stay out of this one!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As to any pastor of any denomination, especially Baptist, and I are one, telling me you, she, or I cannot go to another church, I would have two words- "Watch me!"

One of the long-standing Baptist distinctives is that of 'the priesthood of the believer'. Maybe the pastor needs a little bit of a refresher course, on this.
    As to attending or not attending another church-
    Suggestion? OK.
    Prohibition? Not a chance!

Ed

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

BTW, virtually every 'cult' started with someone of some church of one denomination or another.

Ed

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't say it's cultish behaviour...just yet. Could go down that road, but from what you posted it sounds like a man with a superiority complex that is abusing his authority. He needs to be put in his place by the other leaders in the Church.

18. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen! Sign me up too! Although I think we are too big and socially accepted now to be classified as a cult. ;)

19. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

Bob I actually agree with your viewpoint!

20. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

Ellen White?