1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your favorite Christian radio station?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Speedpass, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1)WWEV, 91.5 FM in the Atlanta area.
    2)KXPZ, 91.3 FM in San Antonio(part of the K-Love group)
    3)WAJS, 91.7 FM in Mississippi
    4)"His Radio, with love from Jesus". I don't know the call letters, but they have stations in the western part of North Carolina and the "upstate" of South Carolina.

2. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

1.) 99.3 WJQ (Grand Rapids, MI)
    2.) 91.3 WCSG (Grand Rapids, MI)
    3.) 89.9 WAY FM

3. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

1.) 99.3 WJQ (Grand Rapids, MI)
    2.) 91.3 WCSG (Grand Rapids, MI)
    3.) 89.9 WAY FM (Grand Rapids, MI)

I like to listen to music that I can sing, usually, I just sit in front of the piano and sing as I play.

~oopss! i posted the same thing twice, or it posted before I got a chance to finish it...just noticed that this happened. [​IMG]

In Christ's gracious love,
    Teresa

[ May 25, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: AdoptedDaughter ]

4. Grace

Grace New Member

AFR(89.3) out of Americus, Ga. I can't always pick it up well, but they play "fun" music.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

91.9 Charlotte but out of Columbia/NC/SC

106.9 out of Black Mountain, NC

6. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember 106.9 out of Black Mountain. When I worked at Ridgecrest during the summer of '92, I listened to them. I think they were a hybrid of southern gospel and pentecostal.

Do you know if 91.9 is part of the "His Radio..." group? Whenever I drove thru Charlotte, I could never find a Christian station until I got near the NC/SC state line and could actually pick up, I think, 88.3, for "His Radio...".

7. ClassicGod.Com

ClassicGod.Com New Member

These are the 2 BEST Christian Stations out there:

Classic God-Rock
    Classic God-Oldies

You can listen to them in July when they get back on.

http://www.classicgod.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ May 03, 2002, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: ClassicGod.Com ]

8. tnelson

tnelson New Member

(91.9) WMVB Moody Radio

9. Multimom

Multimom New Member

KSBJ - 89.3 FM Humble, Texas

10. superdave

superdave New Member

103.5 FM WMUZ "The Light" Detroit

11. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    WEEC - Springfield, OH
    WFCJ - Dayton, OH
    WCDR - Cedarville, OH (From Cedarville University).

12. RhondaJoy

RhondaJoy New Member

I don't listen to Christian radio. Why? Because it's the only radio that has to cater to all ages, stylistic preferences, etc.

I can turn it on and hear any given style at any given time . . . really poor 80s praise and worship that sounds like limp noodles under cold maranara sauce, or twangy Southern Gospel that sounds like it was recorded at Uncle Jed's basement studio, or Michael W. Smith. It's such a hodge podge that I just can't stomach it.

I wish that Christians would support a truly formatted radio station that plays one style. But Christians don't want to pay for anything. If concerts aren't free, they gripe. If a pastor preaches on tithing, the church complains. So Christian music has been and always will be at least 10 years behind in quality and technology. It's truly sad!

Don't flame me, I'm a Christian, I just believe in calling it the way I see it. [​IMG]

13. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    RhondaJoy, you've got my curiosity. Can you give me an example of what you are referring to?

Thanks,
    Michael

[ May 29, 2002, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Michael Sly ]

14. RhondaJoy

RhondaJoy New Member

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

We have WXHL here, and it's truly awful.

Their only saving grace is that they interrupt the music for 1/2 hour each morning for "Focus on the Family".

Just like Rhonda said, they try to be all things to all people and end up not being much of anything at all.

They swing from tenny bopper to alternative to P&W (which, I agree, is really bad) to elevator music so quickly it's enough to make your head spin.

One of the most annoying things they do is to assume that everyone who listens to CCM is a teenager.

The other thing they do is to assume that CCM started the day the station went on the air.

Throughout the day, they play "Christian classics" and, I kid you not, not one of them is any older than 1995.

Christian radio is suffering from the same short sightedness as country radio, in that in their attempt to chase the almighty dollar, they've made themselves irrelevant.

Jerome Olds was making outstanding music but had to retire because he couldn't get airplay.

Randy Stonehill continues to put out great music but can't get arrested because (a) he's over forty and (b) he writes intelligent, well thought out lyrics and has a diverse backing band who make music that isn't your standard mile wide and inch deep CCM pop garbage.

Alice Cooper and Rick Wakeman will never be accepted by Christian music simply because they're Alice Cooper and Rick Wakeman.

I think CCM could really do well if they'd just start making music for adults. I know I'd listen if they'd just start putting out some good music.

Mike

16. RhondaJoy

RhondaJoy New Member

I'll tell you what, if Rick Wakeman puts out a Christian album, I'll do what I have never done in my LIFE for any genre musician: camp out overnight to buy the first copy! [​IMG]

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Rhonda,

Rick has several Gospel and Gospel-themed albums out, including, "The New Gospels" (and accompanying video), "The Word and Music", and "Welcome a Star". He also has an autobiography called, "Say YES" which I haven't read yet but I'm told discusses his conversion to Christianity at some length.

He also has an out of print album that I can't find which was largely instrumental and featured several people (including Jon Anderson and Nina Wakeman who is a popular European artist in her own right) reading scripture over the music.

Although he and Jon Anderson have both become Christians, Wakeman is the only one of the two who's actively pursued Gospel music but Jon Anderson has made a few guest appearances on other people's Gospel albums, including the CCM vocal group, 4Him.

Mike

P.S.

If you're a prog-rock fan and you want to read a great book about a rocker who found Christ, check out Kerry Livgren's "Seeds of Change". As founder of Kansas, Livgren has a real prog rock pedigree.

"Seeds of Change" is out of print but well worth the effort to find.

http://www.keylife.org

[ May 24, 2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Mike McK ]

18. RhondaJoy

RhondaJoy New Member

Mike,

Thanks for the great info! I knew Kerry Livgren is a Christian, as well as John Elefante (2nd lead singer for Kansas). I wasn't aware of Rick Wakeman or Jon Anderson (a GREAT vocalist, huh?), that is very exciting! I will be eagerly looking for the books & CDs.

I have always been a fan of excellent music. Rick Wakeman is an incredible musician, great to know he's accepted Christ.

Again thanks for passing along the info.

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Don't forget guitarist/producer Dino Elefante, Dave Hope and third lead singer, Michael Gleason who were also all part of Kansas and all Christians, as well.

It's really funny to read in Kerry's book, "Seeds of Change", how they all came to Christ one by one.

Mike

http://www.keylife.org

20. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I was listening to http://Christianmusicplanet.com quite a bit and actually enjoying their Christian Classic rock station but it seems to be down everytime I go there now.