1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is your favorite hymnal?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Reformed1689, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When it comes to hymns, my late 96-year-old father's was When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder." Besides the usual suspects, mine is Brethren We Have Met to Worship.

2. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pass it on

3. Washad

Washad Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For pure nostalgia:
    Heavenly Highway Hymnal.

For daily and congregational use: Broadman Hymnal or Soul Stirring Songs and Hymns

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think we use the Celebration Hymnal but not sure, as we have a blended service of hymns and more contemporary songs.

Best quote on singing comes from John Wesley --

Sing lustily and with good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength. Be no more afraid of your voice now, nor more ashamed of its being heard, then when you sung the songs of Satan.”

5. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow that is a powerful quote and, I believe, probably holds even more weight today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nicolaus Mourer

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of hymnals I've used regularly in my lifetime, my favorite is Favorite Songs and Hymns (originally by Stamps-Baxter, now Zondervan, I think). Is printed in shaped notes, has a mix of early American hymns/tunes, reform music from Mason & Hastings, late 19th century gospel songs, and early 20th century gospel songs.

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are referring to Soul Stirring Songs and Hymns published by Sword of the Lord and edited by John R. Rice, I like it. But even though SSSaH has my favorite Brethren We Have Met To Worship, I wouldn't use it for my congregation. Its Silent Night has different words from the standard.

9. Nicolaus Mourer

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know that - is that the primary reason you wouldn't use it in your congregation?

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeup, there are too many other hymnals that are just as good.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to like the SBC Baptist Hymnal until they started putting too many contemporary "worship songs" into it.

But then what does it matter when most churches now put words without notes up on the big screen and pay CCLI a fee for displaying a lot of stuff that already was paid for in their printed Hymnal? Still can't figure all that out.

#31 Ziggy, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  12. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's all part of the "dumbing down" process that started with the singer-song-writer system with songs written for guitar & band.

The OHP system has modernised versions of the old hymns, with omitted verses, new tunes & new choruses. They are often unsuitable for unaccompanied singing, to such an extent they they are soon forgotten - & if you did like it you can't look back at the words.

Will our children have the store of hymns we have learned through a lifetime of worship?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Trinity hymnal is my favorite also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have several music edition hymnbooks used in churches I have attended over the past 60 plus years. We moved here 18 months ago & found the church only uses OHP, mainly from "Mission Praise."

Hymns are usually chosen by the pianist, so do not relate to the sermon or passage of Scripture. At previous churches over the last 20 years I have chosen the hymns, & related them to the sermon subject. Alas no more.

A serious failing of modern "worship songs" is that they are general without a specific doctrinal, Scripture passage or theological topic. A lot of them are so short they are sung twice.

The old is better.

15. Latver11Leader

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of my favorite hymns is Jesus Will Save, although there are other hymns of salvation that I'm also very fond of. Hearing the good news of Jesus and how He continues to love and save sinners never gets old. Thank you Jesus for redeeming me, I know I don't deserve it!

16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So many come to mind, but if I only have one choice, it would have to be Victory in Jesus! GREAT question!

17. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sweet Songster 1854. I have an original that I had professionally rebound by a book binder that trained in the middle east. It wasn't cheap, but I love how simple and honest the hymns are.

After a day of farmwork, I sometimes head out into an open pasture near the chickens and sing a couple hymns from it. No doubt I look a bit odd, but it feels like it's what life is supposed to be like. Favorite Hymn out of the book is "Jesus Thou Art thr Sinners Friend".

My second favorite is the Goble Hymnal. I have an original from 1881 and 2 new spares from the Primitive Baptist Library. My oldest hymnal is from 1817 followed by an 1826 Young Christian's companion.

In my opinion Primitive Baptists, United Baptists, Regular Baptists and Old Regular Baptists have the best church music in the world.

#37 Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 2