1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured what is your greatest struggle?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 25, 2015.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was developing a devotion the other day, and while putting my prayerful thoughts down on virtual paper, I wrote that my most significant struggle as a believer was with my faith.

At that moment, and remember I was developing this teaching prayerfully, I felt like the Lord stopped me and asked if that was really the terminology I meant to use. I asked why He questioned this candidness, and it was like I heard Him say, "my child, your faith is strong. In fact your faith is not in question, but rather your walk!"

That caused me to pause and prayerfully reflect about this correction from Abba, and I got to thinking that He was right on. My faith in His ability to save me and and lead me was not the real problem, but the inability to always walk in the manner in which He leads. After all, Jesus told us in Matt. 7:13-14 that the path was narrow, and it would have its problems, or trials. And while navigating the path, the times I get in trouble has less to do with my faith, and everything to with my choices when tempted or tried.

So I ask you. What gives you the most trouble as you walk the narrow path: your faith in Him to get you there, or, your ability to maintain a walk that is always in line with His teachings and expectations?

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My greatest struggle is reading this post.
    Virtual paper??? is that like make believe paper??? what is that exactly?

okay...

okay...the suspence is killing me....what happened next DUDE???Sneaky
    What are we supposed to do with this Dude??? It is your "feeling". You suggest He asked you something? Did he or Did He not ask you? Did you remain in your body , or was this also out of the body?
    So...let me get this straight ..... who did you ask?
    Did you speak out loud?
    Did you hear a voice in the room?
    Did this all take place in your mind?
    The voice you heard...did it sound just like you?
    Were you awake?
    Was it a still small voice like Elijah?
    You believed it was Jesus...and you questioned Him?

Did you hear this, or not?
    So now....did you hear this audibly?
    Did you imagine this?
    Now you claim to have indeed been given direct revelation?
    Which is it?
    Was it real, or imagined?

If you claim that it was real...you state...."I got to thinking...he was right on????

You do not find this to be profane??? This supposed communication with the creator and sustainer of all things.....and you reflect on it in the language of the Hippy culture of the early 70"s.....He was right on????CautiousThumbsdown:oops:Sick

• Like Like x 1
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a criticism but an observation. Anyone fool enough to talk about their struggles on this board will find it regretful. The minute they post something a number of other people do not like they will use that post to skewer them verbally and discredit any position they do not like about them. The hostility on this board is way beyond allowing for those types of conversations. Just by way of example I cannot count how many times my username has been the point of focus of attack because I do not agree with some people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, Rev.

It is so very easy to poke at a poster as part of a response to a post. I have fallen into that very pit, myself, when I first joint the board decades ago, and then when I came back under a different username.

My personal struggle(s) is possibly regret. In my lack of maturity as a growing believer, I was intolerant, or lacked empathy, or misunderstood the need in others, was bullheaded, and mostly impatient and unaware of the ramifications upon others. It took decades for me to mature to the point that others seemed to have gotten much earlier in their walk.

Now, the time I spend walking and talking with God, especially early morning or late evening, is such a private time. The fellowship we have is but a glimpse of that in eternity. When the obligations of the world and flesh interrupt this time, I long for the release to eternity.

So, I understand Dude's OP. His life and living may not be the same as mine, but the God that leads him in reflection and peace, is the same that leads me. Each being directly directed, urging each into a more meaningful and closer relationship, and presenting each with areas of repentance, growth and hope. Hope, not as the world would define the term, today, but the meaning used in time past - that blessed assurance based upon His promise.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My greatest struggle is physical. My faith is in Christ, and it is the object of faith that is strong. The faith itself is child-like.

My decade long struggle with a rare form of Multiple Sclerosis has been the greatest battle of my life. I thought my near death from encephalitis and meningitis 40 years ago was difficult, having to learn to walk all over again, and having lost about half of my memories of childhood and young adulthood including courting my wife.

I thought losing our son was the most difficult time of my life, but God moved me on where I could accept it and see it as part of his perfect plan for my life, even though I still don't understand it. But it did help me minister more effectively to people in similar situations.

But the MS is an every day struggle just to do the simple things most people take for granted. Like getting out of bed without assistance. Like getting dressed without help. I can't button buttons and have a terrible time with some small zippers. My wife doesn't let me handle anything breakable because I drop everything I try to pick up. My grandmother would say I have "dropsy." :D

I am slowing losing, not only the proper function of my hands, feet, arms, and legs, but am also slowing going blind and deaf.

I used to think I knew what a struggle was. Now I am not so sure. But I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day. One glad morning I will wake up in glory with all I have lost fully restored. And then some. And "It will be worth it all, when we see Jesus" will be my theme song. :)

#5 TCassidy, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother I also have ongoing physical suffering but probably not as great as yours. I had tears in my eyes for your affliction and will pray for you.

The Lord has comforted me with this:
    Joel 2:25 And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten...

My theme song is Farther Along We'll know All About It.

HankD

#6 HankD, Oct 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @TCassidy & HankD..., let me first say thank you for the public sharing of your infirmities. For sure, both of you have a firm grip on the reality of it all and while said infirmities are a pain in the butt you're not wallowing in self-pity. Good for you!

At seventy years old I can say the Lord has truly blessed me with good health. Yes, I've had a couple of operations along the way but have otherwise been blessed above and beyond. Accordingly, while I have enjoyed good health I'm sure you two have enjoyed blessing I've never considered.

May God continue to bless you both.

As for the critics..., ignore them. Little minded people and not worth the time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    REV, you are correct! Sadly, this is a problem on the board! I kept looking to the post to see if anyone commented, and then the same sense of dread came over me! I got to think; I should never have even posted this, because like you say, it becomes spiritual fodder, food and ammunition for others to USE against us at a later time!

For this reason, I have ceased from being candid any longer, because there have been many, just recently in another post, where things I candidly shared were turned inside out and used against me to make me look bad, hyper spiritual and overly sensitive when it comes to trusting in the Holy Ghost and as much in the written teachings of men of faith who have since passed! I've even had members go to my book pages, then copy and paste examples of what was used to advertise the book, and then twist and spin what they selected to paste on this board for the purpose of degrading me, or making a nasty point!

You are correct, and it is a sad state of affairs that a topic like this can't be honestly approached, or even approached without the fear of being ridiculed, skewered (as you say), and spiritual filet!

Thanks for your honesty! Shalom!
    humiliating
    REV, you are correct! Sadly, this is a problem on the board! I kept looking to the post to see if anyone commented, and then the same sense of dread came over me! I got to think; I should never have even posted this, because like you say, it becomes spiritual fodder, food and ammunition for others to USE against us at a later time!

For this reason, I have ceased from being candid any longer, because there have been many, just recently in another post, where things I candidly shared were turned inside out and used against me to make me look bad, hyper spiritual and overly sensitive when it comes to trusting in the Holy Ghost and as much in the written teachings of men of faith who have since passed! I've even had members go to my book pages, then copy and paste examples of what was used to advertise the book, and then twist and spin what they selected to paste on this board for the purpose of humiliating me, or making a nasty point!

You are correct, and it is a sad state of affairs that a topic like this can't be honestly approached, or even approached without the fear of being ridiculed, skewered (as you say), and spiritual filet!

Thanks for your honesty! Shalom!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, I am so sorry to read about your physical thorn, or suffering! Like you, I have several chronic conditions, conditions that when I mention, well meaning but overly zealous brothers and sisters remind me that I should not confess such illnesses.

I do not have MS, but having a medical background and having served as a Vocational Rehab Counselor for several years, I fully understand what you are faced with daily. Similar to you, I have a neurological disorder that was the result of an injury (slip and fall in the shower) while on a week long medical conference for Voc.Rehab in 1987. That one fall left me open for serious back injuries, major surgery in 1991 (laminectomy of L-2 through S-1 with rods and screws implanted to stabilize the spine). This one injury has resulted in diabetes, and debilitating nerve loss in feet, hands and internal organs! It is difficult to wake each day and find your body not cooperating or acting like you once remembered it. Your battle is so much worse than mine, and I feel so bad for you, yet admire your ability to carry on, doing what God has called you to do, and you do it well, because your faith is in Him for His help!

I am in pain 24/7, so I fully understand and empathize with you! I will add you to my list of brothers and sisters with chronic conditions, and pray for you!

My source of spiritual scriptural strength comes from Paul's teaching on the thorn! Let me close with this exert from 2 Cor. 12:1-10, verses 9-10 “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

I do not like these disabilities, but, God is a lot stronger than any disability I suffer from, and each day, in my weakness and suffering, I am reminded that He loves me and is more than sufficient to meet my needs!

Shalom, Tom!

#9 righteousdude2, Oct 27, 2015
  10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I deserve this for coming against your post on another topic!

Oh, before I forget, like a 60s hippie, I refer to the magic of the computer screen as my virtual paper!

So now about your silly attempt to mock me. That is expected After all, Jesus did say that there would be those who "mock you in my name!" However, your mocking is nothing more than an attempt to once again discredit me for my beliefs; and it is understandable! But, if you mock me for speaking of God talking to me, what would you have said to Paul when he shared about meeting Jesus on the road to Damascus? Or the others, who wrote the NT under inspiration of the Holy Ghost? My goodness, Icon, John in Revelation, had a lot of illuminating experiences. Was he smoking pot and just imagining the things he was saying he was told to write! How about Joseph and Mary, and especially Mary, being told, when confronted by an angel, that she would give birth to the Savior? How about Noah being told to build an ark? Or Jonah to go to Nineveh? Or Moses to lead the children out of Egypt? Can man not hear from God?

That is right ... I forgot, you believe and hold tight to the teaching that all forms of spiritual gifts and enlightenment ended (magically) when the last Disciple died!

Shalom!

• Like Like x 1
  11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Things would go a lot better for you rd -- if you would simply tell the truth. Icon has never stated that all spiritual gifts ceased at the end of the Apostolic Age.

• Like Like x 2
  13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever ... he either believes that all the tools and gifts dispensed on those in Acts continued to the day He comes back for the church, or he doesn't. You can't pick and choose what gifts YOU want to except as still be available today. And he has a selective process, and in doing so, he mocks and makes light of my beliefs.

Let Icon speak for himself. Unless you are now claiming to have a gift of knowledge and discernment? And please stop with calling me untruthful, which is the same as saying I am a liar.

Once again the Pharisee side of your personality has surfaced as you cast doubt in my direction and judge me no less? Sad indeed.

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey dude I forgot you posted this one yesterday I'll answer it in full when I get to a keyboard are you saying that you move in the gifts of the Spirit in the same way that the Apostles did or would you admit that there were signs of an apostle that were foundational.?

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy, is that word the embodiment of a careless,irrational modern mentality. Icon did not say what you accused him of. You reply with "whatever" which means that truth doesn't matter to you. You just want to get your digs in.
    Well, if you say something false, and I call you on it --the onus is on you.

• Like Like x 2
  16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What universe are you existing in rip? What rule say the "onus" is on me? That only works if the party you address has a sense of spiritual respect for you, and I have told you many times that because you have earned no respect from me that means I have zero, nada, zip, no respect for you, so any onus you say is on me, means absolutely nothing. I sure hope you aren't holding you breath,.it may leave you breathless.

times

17. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Respect is not earned. Respect is automatic because we are all made in the image and likeness of God.

When you lie, and that lie is exposed, the onus is definitely on you to either provide evidence it was not a lie, or apologize for the untruth. To fail to do so will result in your complete loss of credibility. (That has already happened as most of us no longer give any credibility to your posts, but you may still have some small measure with those less well informed or perhaps very young in the faith. Best get busy lest you lose that little bit too.)

• Like Like x 3
  18. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a teacher, I was more than once rebuked by colleagues and even friends for teaching that "Respect is NEVER earned."

Respect is given. If it were earned, then it could be bought and sold, and it could be subject to bribe and intimidation.

Respect is not esteem. Esteem is earned. Esteem may be subject to bribery and extortion.

Would that everyone had been taught this small yet significant truth. There would be very little violence if people were taught correctly.

• Like Like x 2
  19. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom .... WHATEVER ..... you have your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. Respect that, or don't. That is your choice to make. Shalom and good health prayers to you in your circumstances.

This kind of argument is a "fool's errand" and it turns into "he said, you said!" Know one wins. I have far better things to do then be sucked into this stupid game. Shalom!

#19 righteousdude2, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  20. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree! I cannot respect a persons views just because they are made in the image of God. We are told to test the teachings and the teacher. I need to do that, and these brothers have not convinced me they know any more or less than myself. Nice try though!

#20 righteousdude2, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015