1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your Spiritual Gift?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Pastor_Bob, May 6, 2005.

?
  1. Prophecy

32.4%
  2. Ministry (Helps or Serving)

23.5%
  3. Teaching

11.8%
  4. Exhortation

8.8%
  5. Giving

5.9%
  6. Ruling (Administration)

8.8%
  7. Mercy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Evangelism

2.9%
  9. Shepherding (Pastor)

5.9%
  10. Other - Please explain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following list of spiritual gifts may not be all-inclusive; they were copied from a “Spiritual Gift Questionnaire” by Elmer L. Towns several years ago. These are his lists and descriptions.

I will list each spiritual gift with a short description. Please review each gift, determine if you know what your spiritual gift is, and then record your answer in the poll.

Spiritual Gifts
    Romans 12:6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
    7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
    8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

As you review the following gifts, it is important to remember that every child of God has been given a spiritual gift. You may see a particular gift that “best” describes you, and then see other gifts that apply to you as well. The reason for that is that although God has given each of us a particular gift, we are to be doing our best to manifest “all” of the gifts to the best of our ability. In other words, God has called us all to teach, exhort, serve, administrate, evangelize, and to show mercy.

Prophecy: That special ability to see the influence of evil, as did the Old Testament prophets and warn God’s people of its damage. The prophet has a deep passion to defend God’s reputation, stand for issues, and often uses negative motivation, i.e. “Thus saith the Lord…”

Ministry (Helps or Serving): That special ability to do service-oriented work for God in necessary tasks that may seem routine and mundane. The helper usually enjoys serving without public attention, doing such tasks as preparing a meeting room or working on the church building.

Teaching: That special ability and desire to study God's Word and share with others what is learned. The teacher enjoys communicating information to individuals or groups.

Exhortation: That special ability to find and communicate to others practical ways of serving God. The exhorter is a positive motivator, knowing that practical Christianity will change the lives of others.

Giving: That special ability to contribute material resources to God’s work. The giver has a great desire to share time, talent, and treasure with liberality and self-sacrificing cheerfulness.

Ruling (Administration): That special ability to manage human, financial, and physical resources in an efficient manner. The administrator functions by planning, organizing, leading, and supervising.

Mercy: That special ability to identify with those in distress and sympathetically give spiritual comfort and support. The merciful ministers through identifying with those in distress and comes along side to comfort them.

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

Evangelism: That special ability to lead unsaved people to the knowledge of Christ. The evangelist has a passion for souls, a clear understanding of the gospel, and a tendency to be confrontational in approaching people because of the urgency of the task.

Shepherding (Pastor): That special ability to lead a group of believers. The shepherd has a desire to help the group determine its spiritual goals, provide direction as they move toward the goal, and protect group members from harmful influences.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frankly, I question the existence of spiritual gifts. I've been in many situations in which the topic was discussed and some of those "tests" given to determine one's gift(s). All that happens is that people see their abilities and aptitudes seen, subjectively or subjunctively, in general subjects as "spiritual gifts" in relation to what they do for their church or their Christian influence.

Other than expound further on this right now, as I expect there to be arguments against what I just stated, I will leave it at that for the present.

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Alcott,
    How do you explain: I Corinthians 7:7 and the whole chapter of I Corinthians 12?
    WallyGator

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that there is not enough focus on Spirtual Gifts in the churches, when we get back to that model of full use of Spiritual Gifts as used in the generations of the early church, we will see a world wide revival of Christianity, particurly in the muslim lands.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoever said I did explain it?
    The only answer I can give is that we see one of 2 practices in regard to how the exercise of the gifts is done. One, the Pentecostal and charismatic way, that of wildly throwing you hands around uttering unintelligible syllables, falling down as if passed out and claiming miracles right and left. The other is the more common way in Baptist or independent Bible churches, that of assuming 'miraculous' gifts are superseded by the completion of scripture, then leaving helps, mercy, administration, et al, as the gifts in operation, when these qualities are just a person's knacks and abilities.

The first option I have nothing to do with; not only does charismania get absurd, but it's clearly not done according to the scriptures they claim to get their mandates from. But the second option seems wishy-washy; if miraculous gifts are not valid today because with the canon we have no need of them, then why do we need the others? Furthermore, I don't know anybody who was a pathetic administrator who became a Christian and suddenly became superlative in that quality; nor someone who couldn't teach anyone else which is the right hand and which is the left, and then suddenly be endowed with marvelous professorial talent. People don't get these as gifts; they're just natural abilities.

All this would leave is that our natural abilities become spiritual gifts-- something I cornered a pastor about once, and he said they do. In that case, you need not be a believer to have what is the same as a spiritual gift. So that's what I am inclined toward. Our abilities can and should be used for our work in the Kingdom, but I don't presume something supernatural when there is no reason to presume it other than self-importance.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Spiritual gifts are those gifts of grace which God gives to the church. They are most easily noticed when one is doing ministry with the greatest passion behind it.

Natural abilites can become a flop when God is not in control. Gifts can be used to glorify God and abused to glorify self.

Abilities often draw attention to the person. Gifts are gifts of grace that God gives to glorify Him.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Moses said he had a heavy tongue but God told him to speak. He refused God's gifts and focused on himself. So God used Aaron instead.

People have told me many times that I am a different person when I get up to preach. I know I am intense and people come to Christ. I clearly know it is not because I am a good speaker.

I will give you an example. A few years ago I was asked to speak at a youth conference. I told them they had the wrong person and that there were a lot of pastors better than myself. They asked me again. I told them the same thing again. So after awhile they asked me to pray about it and let them know when I could. I prayed and let them know I would two weeks later. At that conference I preached on the death, burial, and ressurection of Jesus. On the final night I spoke on running the race to win. The group who led the music had no idea what I would be preaching on but knew it was a youth conference. The leader told me after the conference how he realized that everything I said and everything he sang worked together. During the invitation we had more youth coming forward than counsleors so I pulled people from the group top talk with youth. After it was over I was overwhelmed at what had happened. The right counselors were put with the right youth. A man who was there told me he had been coming to help for 31 years and that was the most he had ever seen come forward during the invitations. I can assure you it was not me. I was in awe of what I said in the sermons and what I picked as the topics. How many youth conferences hear sermions on what I picked. All my life I have struggled with preaching and communicating well. At an early age fact I delared to myself I could not speak in public and I thought of it as the worse kind of communication. I was self conscious and grew up in a home with poor grammar. My first speech in college was read directy from notes. I never took another speech class again until I had to in seminary.

So when I stand up to preach I know it is not me at all. If I try to pat myself on the back God gently reminds me who is in charge. He reminds me how he can remove what he has given in an instant.

Over and over I am reminded of the fact that God uses broken vessels of no use.

If he can use Moses a man with a heavy tongue who killed someone He can surely use me.

8. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alcott, you are basing your beliefs on your own personal experience and not on the Word of God. The Bible very clearly teaches the reality of spiritual gifts.

Spiritual gifts are different from natural talent. Did you notice that nowhere in the NT does it say anything about the gift of music? It is obvious that some people have natural talent in the area of music. These natural abilities can be combined with our spiritual gift to result in a tremendous service for the Lord.

It is not presuming self-importance to say that one has been given a gift by the Holy Spirit. In fact, it is a humbling thought to consider that God would entrust us with a special ability designed to meet the needs of the church and those around me. Eph. 4:12

God does give us natural abilities that are to be used to serve Him. When we blend these abilities together with our spiritual gift, the result is that God gets the glory.

1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. (KJV)

9. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Thanks, Pastor_Bob.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So in your church you have 2 or 3 prophets who speak, and others who pass judgment? 2 or 3 who speak in tongues? if a revelation is passed to one who is seated, then the one who speaking is to sit down and shut up? All this is from I Corinthians 14. Do you follow the Word of God here, or do you base your beliefs on your own judgment?

11. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a very clear misunderstanding of what spiritual gifts are. There is a distinct difference in the gifts of the Spirit and the "sign gifts" used in the days of the Apostles. So, no, we don't do it like they did it in Corinth, which Paul rebuked.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take that as an admission that you are "basing your beliefs on your own personal experience and not on the Word of God" [your words]. Paul did rebuke the Corinthians for several things, but he (Paul) did say: "Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others pass judgment" (I Corinthians 14:29). And "But if a revelation is made to another who is seated, the first one must keep silent" (ch.14, v.30). For tongues, Paul said "If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret" (ch.14, v.27). Thus tongues are not a requirement, but are allowed. However, v. 39 says "Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues."

I need not ask if you or your church does these things as Paul said, for you have already said you don't. But one more time, and again in your own words: are you basing your beliefs on your own personal experience and not on the Word of God? And then in my own {previous} words: if miraculous gifts are not valid today because with the canon we have no need of them, then why do we need the others?

13. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may take it any way you like. The fact is, I base my beliefs solely on the Word of God with an understanding of the context of each passage. My "personal experience" is not a factor at all. Spiritual gifts are a very clear Bible teaching that I teach and preach here at this church. I understand the difference between the "sign gifts" and the gifts of the Spirit in operation today.

"Sign gifts" were needed to demonstrate the authenticity of the Apostles and the work they were commissioned by the Lord to do. Jews require a sign before they will believe. They did not have the completed Word of God to confirm their teachings and practices like we have today. Therefore, these "sign gifts" are no longer needed, and no longer practiced by Christians who understand the Word of God.

The other gifts are given by the Holy Spirit to "edify" or build up the body of Christ. They help the church become what God ordained that she become. There is a very significant difference in these two separate types of gifts.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that a quote from scripture, or is it your own idea? If there are no signs involved, you can't prove any of the differing abilities of people are gifts.

15. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Alcott, I don't know how long it has been since I have read a post like your second post on this thread that I sincerely wish I had the skill to write. [​IMG]

16. atestring

atestring New Member

I wonder if they had spiritual inventory test in the Early Church. My guessis they walked in the power of The Holy Spirit and God worked with them and they saw results. What a novel idea?

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The gift of discernment was left out of the list.