1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your standard for movies?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, May 25, 2007.

1. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

:confused: who said viewing sexual content in modern movies was acceptable? as far I can tell every person here has said it was not acceptable.....

We also have standards that fluctuate, so to speak, depending on who is watching the movie. My husband and I will watch movies that we would never let our children watch.

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

If it is bad for the children, what makes it good for you?

3. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Ummm...common sense should dictate that there are some things that are appropriate for adults that are not appropriate for children. Some of my favorites, unlike Scarlett O., are movies with a political stance. These movies are perfectly okay for my viewing enjoyment, but are not necessarily something I would let my impressionable children watch. The same goes with movies containing violence, like Braveheart, The Gladiator, The Patriot, etc. For that matter, the film we are producing at this moment is perfectly acceptable for adults, but it pertains to adult subject matter, you know those things we just don't talk about with the kids. There is nothing wrong with our film, and it is God honoring, but that still does not make it right for little ears and eyes. Would you preach an in depth analysis of Song of Solomon to junior church kids or even the youth group? Same difference.

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Common sense should dictate that what one is placing before his eyes is either good or it is evil. If it is good then it would seem acceptable for a child of God to view it, if it is evil then it would seem unacceptable.

I believe Pipedude addressed the literary Bible elements quite effectively. I would have no hesitation in reading the Song of Solomon to my children but I would not preach an in depth analysis. God's word would enter the child's mind the way God would see fit.

5. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Well, Rufus, we'll just have to agree to diagree. There are movies that I find perfectly acceptable for adults, even Christian adults, that are not appropriate, for whatever reason, for children. These are my standards, yours are different. We are both right and we are both wrong depending on the individual looking at it, that's life. Let's move on.

6. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

My decision to watch a movie on TV, on the computer, via a disc player, or any other media, is not based upon my status as a grownup. It is based upon what God tells me about what I view. I will not view, from any source, and will not allow others to view in my home, any presentation that contains nudity, violent crime, homosexuality, or profanity. Even fleeting glances quicken my spirit, praise God! Scarlett has detailed a list similar to what I would post. I find it disgusting that moviemakers choose to employ profanity in presentations like "Band of Brothers". Don't remind me that, that is the way GI's talk. I know that. It is disgusting.

Neither will I listen to radio stations that provide similar content. The settings on the radio in our cars is Christian, Christian, Christian, and Semi-Classical.

I will view documentaries, presentations on the History Channel, and similar. If they cross the line, I'll pull the plug.

7. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

We can agree to disagree for certain but I will not agree that we are both right, nor will I agree that your movie (if the trailer is a good indicator) is perfectly acceptable for adults.

8. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

That is your right, and I don't feel the need to defend my movie on this thread. We prayed over our film for many years and I don't have to answer to anyone but God, and I am confident in that regard.

If anyone would like to read my previous defense of the film on the BB it can be found in the following thread....

http://baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=34665&highlight=sodom+gomorrah+movie