1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What it Means to be Obcessive Against Taking Medication for Depression

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by StraightAndNarrow, Sep 24, 2005.

1. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

and claiming that this disease is due to "demonic possession." Think about it. Doesn't this indicate a personal stake? Perhaps justification for not appropriately treating an illness?

This is the perspective Christian Scientists take.

Healing is accomplished by correct thinking according to Christian Science principles. A change in belief that effects physical symptoms. (SH p. 194:6)

http://www.carm.org/christian_science/terms.htm

I do not believe the vast majority of Christians agree with this statement. I believe that God has given us medicine and doctors to aid in healing. Of course, prayer certainly works as well. But quick. If you have a heart attack what do you do first, call 911 or try to think restful, peaceful thoughts?

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Christian Scientists are not Christians according to Scripture. They do not believe in a literal heaven or hell, and they deny that Jesus was physically beaten.

This is a cult. Ignore everything they say.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think the op probably agrees with you, he is only pointing out the idea of correct thinking for healing and avoiding medicines is not christian, but a cultic belief.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

And I agree, no where does scripture tell us not to take medicines. You can't be healed by having the right thinking.

5. StraightAndNarrow

EXACTLY.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

When Paul was snake bit, did he call 911?

YES, God works miracles. Yes, He works miracles through doctors. But, that DOES NOT mean that prayer does not work.

God has worked a miracle in my life through a surgeon. His miracle was necessary to fix what man had destroyed.

Medecine is not risk free. Nor, is prayer.

7. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"I believe that God has given us medicine and doctors to aid in healing. "

Of course, this is true. But is is also true tha that we have become a pill popping society, who expect a pill to fix all of our problems. We sould take advantage of all God has given us, and not get any one thing out of balance. As far as antideppresents. They have a good purpose, and they are effective. But 80 percent of the people who take them take them to cover non-organic depressions that lifestyle and spritual choices could take care of. But for those 20 percent who have a true neurotransmiter inbalance, the antidepressents are a true blessing from God.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

10. StraightAndNarrow

Absolutely. I try to minimize the medication I take.