1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What killed snake handler Coots

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

His death is tragic. More tragic, however, is the stupidity he promulgated that led to it. A SEMESTER in a good seminary would have kept him alive. The unbridled ignorance filling so many pulpits in America is doing immeasurable harm to the Kingdom of God here.

But what killed him was not the snake that bit him. What killed him was far deadlier. What killed Coots is killing the influence of Christianity in this nation, and, by proxy, killing the nation. The real killer was a deadly, venomous cocktail of ignorance and arrogance. Jamie Coots was a snake handler because he did not know some things that a decent seminary education would have taught him. He did not receive such an education because he believed he did not need one. He thought God spoke to him. Hear it from his own lips:

“You feel that anointing and then the Lord speaks to your heart telling you what to do. It is a feeling of power, but it is a feeling of peace,” he said then. “You’re in your body and you know what you’re doing and you can’t control it. There is such a power coming over you and you are obedient to the Spirit of God and you compelled to do what He tells you and you know it will be all right.”- Jamie Coots

Who needs to know the original languages when the God who gave the Bible interprets it in one’s own head for him? Who needs hermeneutics (science of proper interpretation of texts) when the Holy Ghost gives you powerful emotional experiences, trances, in which he reveals the meaning of texts? Thinking that God does that keeps one from pursuing the education he needs and puffs one up with unfathomable pride. Ignorance and arrogance- these mingle to make the deadly cocktail that killed this Christian and is killing Christianity in this culture.

This kind of arrogance and ignorance is not limited to snake handlers. It is coursing through the veins of every Christian who spurns education, who thinks God speaks to him and he does not need teachers.

This kind of arrogance and ignorance is the truly deadly venom in this culture today.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at denominations that build a foundation on their interpretation of a few passages taken out of context. Not all are uneducated - perhaps it gets more difficult when dealing with matters of faith. Do you think that they look for "something more" to justify their faith?

#2 JonC, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

When I saw the thread title, 'stupidity' was honestly the first word that I thought of that truly killed him.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

My brother-in-law(wife's brother) knew Mack Wolford personally. He even had him as a FB friend. They worked together in North Carolina at a Burlington Denim factory in Mooresville before my wife and I started dating. When the factory shut down, both moved back to WVa, and he joined that church that eventually killed him.

6. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

7. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

satan's little hand puppet :eek:

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Arrogance is heart issue and cannot be educated out of a person.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I reckon why Tennessee banned snake handling was one time Sissy Amy was in a meeting and timber rattler and two cottonmouths bit her. Those in attendance never saw such anguish...it broke the congregant's heart watching three innocent snakes dying such cruel deaths..:smilewinkgrin:

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's what education does. It humbles us. It shows us how much we don't know.

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me thinks....

....that your opinion of seminary is over-rated, or stretched a little further than it should be. It doesn't take a seminary class, let alone a semester in seminary, to recognise the childish behavior or that playing around with something as deadly as a snake is something a sound and sane man, woman or child should not be doing!

Total disregard for nature and the powerful recourse of not paying due respect of the creatures that God put upon this earth is what killed that man. Not the lack of a seminary class.

Although, I will say this ... you should be the front man for a seminary, as you may recruit some folks who need to learn what this man didn't know: Snakes with venom, KILL!

Even if you have all the faith in the world, tempting God or fate will one day catch up with you and put you under the ground!

God bless you Luke! This is merely my opinion, and I do respect where you are coming from! :applause:

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I heard their deaths were actually a relief to them. I heard that, their fangs rotted and fell out, they squirmed, writhed in pain, turned green, and then died. I'd be ashamed if I was you Sissy. A hoe to the back of head would been more humane than what you did to them. Rumor has it that snakes in Tennessee run the other way when they see you now. :laugh: :flower:

13. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    bravo, Amy.G, well said, and to the point.:thumbs::applause:

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think he died due to misunderstand/bad interpretation of the passage at end if the Gospel of mark!

And he didi not need seminary, just someone to show him valid rules on how to study and apply the Bible!

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, what killed the guy was his own stupidity. Everything else is conversation. The guy was a fool.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not getting what you are saying. There are many grade school educated, satanists and occultists that would not pick up a poisonous snake. What the pastor did was tempt God while not using the common sense He gave him. It had nothing to do with seminary, languages, etc.

Using your logic, based on your determinism you have gained from seminary, languages, etc., it would reason one could walk across the freeway blindfolded and leave the results of it up to God as everything has been determined beforehand.

#16 webdog, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THAT kind of determinism would not be of Yahweh though, more akinto Allah of islamic faith!

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, ho ho ho.......ha ha ha ......Touche, a little Jujitsu move on a Wednesday morning......I LIKE IT! :thumbs:

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YOU CAD; I should challenge you to a duel sir! That sister is a flower of the South & I will not have you sully her reputation ....even in jest.

I shall make allowances however, noting your probably drinking som dat WV River Water as of late. Trust me, coming from NJ, you done never ever want to drink da water.:laugh:

Snowballs @ 10 paces :tongue3:

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I told this story sometime back, but a couple of years ago, on a mission trip to Eastern Kentucky, I walked up to one door the was unique to say the least. This guy answers the door, and asks me to wait a minute. He came back with a box that contained a rattlesnake. Anyway, he says "lets see how strong your faith is, stick your hand in this box." My reply......"good day sir, and have a nice life."

To me, this has nothing to do with education. It has to do with a basic understanding of Scripture and common sense. To be honest, I do not know why anyone who would consider handling a snake or participating in a service that handled snakes who be allowed to walk around in society.