1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What killed snake handler Coots

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's true. The Spirit we have received is of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Still, one can be deceived. Coot's problem wasn't his lack of education.

I agree with this with one caveat, the Scriptures teach us to listen to preachers and teachers, which also means reading their books. But one would not need other books to avoid Coot's trap, because the Scriptures clearly teach us not to put God to the test.

If I were simple-minded enough to think that Mark 16 could be read even on its face the way Luke thinks it reads without re-education, the story of Christ's temptation to throw Himself from a pinnacle of the temple would be enough to teach me that snake-handling ain't what it's about.

That is very true. If I read Luke's posts, correctly, someone told him the text of Mark was corrupted and is somewhat dubious, and THAT is why he isn't snake-handling.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't the real truth though that ALL chrsitians have the Holy Spirit to instruct/teach/show us how to apply truth revealed, so we can know and live the bible regardless if formally educated?

As sometimes. seminary and more learning made one 'mad", see reverend pike, Rudoplh Bultmann, Bishop Spong, etc!

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and no.

Yes, all have the Holy Spirit that will guide them into all truth.

No, in the sense that one does not need teachers.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i agree with teacher/pastors, as they are gifts of the Lord unto the church, to mature and build os up in the faith, but my point is that christian can have the Spirit teach them thru pastors/teachers, and by himself in personal studies, without need to go to seminary!

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is most certainly true.

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back at you!

Ditto :thumbs::wavey:

7. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would not touch snakes, especially if they are poisonous. But really not really scared of them. As long as I am far and away from them LOL!

But seriously, thoughts and prayers are with his family in this tough time!

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You get the POINTS

I don't believe I've seen this thought anywhere in this debate, and you get the brownie points for shwing your compassion! We should all be praying for the family, and church, and throw in that prayer, His wisdom to come down on the survivoring members to realize how stupid this really is! God bless and welcome to the board!

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said Luke, well said. You know MacArthur had a recent conference and speaks of the Charismatic movement and their "New Revelation" deadly heresies. They often defend their heresies with the word "love" which in their brains means not having discernment and accepting every teaching as gospel truth. But you are right in that ignorance and arrogance has poisoned the church today. Many these days do not like to study the bible, read books, nor dive into theology. They think that they can read the Bible and interpret it anyway they please and without the help of good books. This attitude also shows up here on the BB in posters like WinMan among others. A man whom denies "Original Sin" and promotes "semi-pelagainism."

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are loads of false converts whom think they are saved because they said a prayer. They DO NOT understand the word CONVERSION/REGENERATION.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why get educated, why listen to man's opinion? No I do not need to read any books for I will only read the Bible. I suggest you toss all your books, lexicons, greek Dictionaries away Luke and get to reading your Bible! Man's opinion shows up in all your books.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is exegesis without Biblical theology is worthless. Don't take one passage out of content of the entire NT.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A former Reformed Bible Church I once attended did.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke I say this in kindness but you need to watch your pride brother. You are condemning others and not looking at yourself. You are turning people away from Reformed theology by your words and attitude. You love books then read this one.

Respectable Sins

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Humorous??? Humorous??? When someone dies you call that funny?? Man oh man I am saddened by the attitude I see in some Reformed whom do nothing but give Arminian ammunition against us.

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

I really wish you would stop giving that title to all who disagree with your strict reformed doctrine. I am not Arminian. I am far more Calvinist than anything, but I don't adopt the name of a man to identify my theology. I believe the Bible. Period. I think you do, as well, but you don't understand it as I do, which means, more than likely, one of us is wrong. I believe it is you. That, however, makes me only in disagreement with you, not an "Arminian." In fact, Arminius believed much of the same things Calvin believed. There wasn't even that great a difference between them on the terms of election and predestination. So this whole "Calvin/Arminius" separation is a farce perpetuated by extremists on both sides.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

1. Without somebody being educated giving you direction you might just as well be a KJO man. You lean on seminary trained people.
    2. But if they attended a good seminary they'd know how to interpret it. They may miss the meaning but its not because they don't know basic hermeneutical laws.
    3. Yes, I do know. I watched the show. He was very uneducated.
    4. Yes. He said as much.
    “To me,” Coots says in the video below, “it’s much a commandment of God, when he said ‘thou shalt take up serpents,’ as it was when He said, ‘thou shalt not commit adultery.’” - See more at: http://lauraturner.religionnews.com...s-death-dont-understand/#sthash.9Mq3qKCM.dpuf

5. I'll tell you whatever I WANT to tell you whenever I want to tell it to you. How about that? An idiot, by definition, is one who is not educated (whether formally or some other way). The world is full of hundreds of millions of idiots handling the Scripture JUST that way. If they all went to a good seminary, that would solve that dilemma.
    6. Most people do stupid and dangerous things every year of their lives. Millions of people die every year doing stupid dangerous things from handling snakes to eating too many hot dogs.

People are largely idiots. Common sense is stupidity. You come into this world a moron and most people remain that way. The last thing Christians ought to want is to have common sense. They ought to seek UNCOMMON sense.

#77 Luke2427, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Aren't you the one who is always pumping some book you are reading?

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's an oversimplification of the issue. When Jim Elliot went to minister to a dangerous tribe he felt he was obeying God's command no less than Coots felt handling snakes was obeying God's command. Both took up a dangerous activity seeking to obey God. Was Jim Elliot disobeying God and putting God to the test?

No. Neither was Coots IF Coots was right about the command to handle snakes. His problem was not that he was tempting God (though he was). His problem was that he did not have a proper understanding of how to interpret scripture. No one ever taught him (read 'educate him').

That was what killed Coots. His lack of being taught properly.

If you knew anything about seminary you'd know that professors never TELL you what to think. They tell you HOW to think properly. They tell you how to investigate.

It is probable that the last verses in Mark were not in the original. But that is not the MAIN reason one should not handle snakes according to those verses. There are numerous other hermeneutical rules that would have saved his life.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You don't know what way I am turning people. The right people APPRECIATE the raw truth.

People, by and large, are morons. That's biblical. Common sense is stupidity. Common means the way the majority thinks and does things. Well, the majority gave this country Barack Obama as president. The majority of Germans gave the world Hitler.

Any Christian who wants to be led by common sense in a world where most people are idiots is, well, pretty common.

That's the problem.

Christians ought to be led by UNCOMMON sense.