1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What killed snake handler Coots

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if I said it was a bit humerus? :type:

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke can't you take a joke?

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke the Bible says to pray and love people. It does not say to personally insult them. Yes they are SINFUL, and DEPRAVED. But we are here to preach the gospel to them and pray that God turns them.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Changing words?

Humerus
    The humerus (/ˈhjuːmərəs/; ME from Latin humerus, umerus upper arm, shoulder; cf. Gothic ams shoulder, Greek ōmos. Plural: humeri) is a long bone in the arm or forelimb that runs from the shoulder to the elbow.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the difference is that missions is commanded, and snake handling is not. "They shall take up serpents" is not a directive. No where close to it. The long and the short of it is, that snake-handling is by no stretch of the imagination either commanded or even implied in the passage.

How many semesters of seminary have you had, and you see a command to handle snakes? You undo your own argument.

It wasn't his lack of education as much as a heresy that had crept in. No amount of seminary is going educate the lust for signs and wonders out of a man. Christ did not say that an ignorant generation seeks after signs, He said that an evil and adulterous generation seeks after signs.

To be brutally honest, pride and a desire for the preeminence are the chief factors in congregations focused on ecstatic manifestations and exhibitionistic worship styles.

That's what killed Coots.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    *sigh*

A bit humerous.

Get it? A bitten arm?

No, you don't get it. :BangHead:

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's not all the Bible says to do. That is a gross oversimplification.

Do you have any idea what "personal" means? Did I call someone by name?

The human race is evil and ignorant without Christ. You disagree with that??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Seriously!?!?!

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Precisely. It was an interpretive error on his part. He thought the Bible taught that he was supposed to do it.

His problem was that he never learned how to rightly divide the word of truth.

He knew nothing of hermeneutics. That's what killed him.

Who said I see a command. You do not read very well do you? My whole point is that it is NOT commanded. Work on your comprehension skills please.

Heresy which was the result of his lack of education.

Yes, education DOES do exactly that.

In other words, darkness killed him. What he needed was light. Humbling, enlightening light. Another word for light is the knowledge of the truth. You are TAUGHT that by the Body of Christ from the Word of God.

9. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

It was Coots time to die, if a snake hadn't of bit him a truck would have run over him or a heart attack. The snake was a secondary cause, God is always the first cause. Every man has an appointed time upon this earth.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Everything is appointed. That doesn't mean we don't try to find out immediate causes.

Do we look at millions of children dying in Africa and just say, "Well, it was their time to die! Oh WELL!! No need to try to find out what's killing them."

No. We find out immediate causes and we answer God's call to help them. That's what we do.

We should do the same with Coots. What REALLY killed this man? Saying a snake killed him is a gross oversimplification. It's like not hunting for a shooter who murdered someone because you conclude a bullet killed his victims.

Ignorance killed Jamie Coots. The snake was just the murder weapon.

But arrogance is what KEPT Coots ignorant. The kind of arrogance that keeps a man from looking outside his holler for more information and help in text interpretation. "I don't need no help. The Holy GHOST done spoke to me!!"

That kind of arrogance is killing Christianity in America as dead as it killed Coots.

There are NUMEROUS people on this very SITE who are that arrogant. People who thumb their noses at books and colleges and seminaries. People who think God speaks to them and that they don't NEED any instructors.

And people like me who call them on it are the ones called arrogant because people are so ignorant they don't even know what true arrogance is. They are wrong on just about everythign.

Humility says, "Ok, this is what this text seems to mean to me. But what have many other Christians thought it meant throughout two thousand years of Church History and why did they think that. I want their help. I may not agree but I am not God and I need the Body of Christ."

That's humility.

Arrogance, the kind that killed Coots, says, "I don't need no stinkin' books!! I don't need no stinkin counsel! Da Holy Ghost done TOLD me what it means!!!"

That's what killed him.

That kind of arrogance is an immeasurably more potent poison and far more prevalent than the venom of the snake that bit him.

#90 Luke2427, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Why are you complaining about this guy Coots Luke? According to you, this is exactly what God ordained before Coots was ever born, it could not have happened any other way.

If people are idiots as you believe, then according to your view it was God's will that people should be idiots. You should be rejoicing.

Just another example of how stupid your view really is.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Precisely.

Nope. It's just another example of how stupid people can't understand it.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it doesn't. Not anymore than pearls can transform swine.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

You seem to be the one who can't understand your own view. If God ordains everything that comes to pass, then it is God's will that Coots and many other people are idiots. Again, you should be rejoicing, not complaining.

Of course, anybody who can really think knows your view is nonsense.

But you just keep on believing what they taught you in school Luke. :laugh:

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Light dispels darkness. Light is the KNOWLEDGE of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Christian education is the impartation of that knowledge.

Blind people cannot see it- true. But it does not change the fact that it is the cure. That's what the Bible plainly teaches.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, but Winman, its more complex than that. God's will is more complex than that. That's why you can't get it, Bud. Simple minds cannot consume complex ideas.

I'd try to explain the thing about different wills in God again to you, but you won't get it. Its like trying to explain calculus to a five year old. You are not a Calvinist because Arminianism, on the surface, is simple. That's all you can handle.

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The snake bite killed him, his stupidity caused him to tempt God. A deadly concoction of stupidity, poison, and bad hermeneutics(sp?).

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Right, only YOU know God's mind. And you call other people arrogant. :rolleyes:

This fellow believed he could handle snakes because he had been taught by others to believe that, just as you have been taught to believe Calvinism even though probably half the Bible refutes it.

You are a trip.

19. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I know some people would look at Coots death like this, Just one more false preacher God has removed from this earth. One thing about it, he won't be deceiving anyone else.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No, Bud. You are the one who thinks he needs no instructors. You are the one who does not care about what Bible believing Christians have thought for two thousand years. I DO care about those things. I try my thoughts by theirs.

You don't.

So you are quite LITERALLY the one who thinks "only YOU know God's mind."

He was told by people in some backwater holler that were disconnected from the larger body of Christ just like you. He, like you, did not see the value of a multitude of counselors. He, like you thought that God spoke to him and told him what the Bible meant.

He and you have a lot in common.

What I have done is study outside the tiny isolated world in which I was raised. I have sought the help of the larger Body of Christ. I have cared what Christians outside of backwater IFB movements have thought about texts of Scripture. You have not. You are limited to Sword of the Lord type literature and your very poor handling of the Scripture (King James at that because you espouse another backwater doctrine known as KJVO like Jamie Coots did).

You are a trip.