1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What killed snake handler Coots

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am not the one making statements about God other than to show scripture. I showed scripture that literally shows God calling and stretching out his hands to people to come to him. That is clearly begging Luke and you KNOW it.

You know it, but that would be unacceptable to your teachers, so you must cave in and parrot what they say, even though you know in your heart God is begging these people to be saved.

Man up.

You are the one that cannot think for yourself and believes what you are told. I know without being told that handling poisonous snakes is dangerous.

I also know that Mark 16 was fulfilled by Paul when the poisonous snake latched onto his arm.

See, if you study the Bible instead of letting other people think for you you will not be deceived by error.

He has WAAAY more in common with you. Or rather HAD.

And yet you are totally messed up. Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men...

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No, you are the one who abuses Scripture to suit himself.

That's not begging, Winman. That's invitation. If you can't help but conflate those two things then that proves that you are what I am saying you are.

No. I know in something better than my heart. In know in the BIBLE that God is not begging people to be saved. He commands men everywhere to repent.

Childish, childish, childish.

No. I used to believe what I was told when I was a King James only fundamentalist. That's what you do. You believe what you are told without seeking a multitude of counselors for safety.

A multitude of counselors is more than some backwater independent baptist mess. You beleive what they tell you to believe.

Now, that may very well be true. This goes to show that a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

The thing you don't get is that studying the Bible REQUIRES help. You don't speak Greek. You did not come into the WORLD knowing the historical backgrounds of Bible books. God says in his word that he has given us teachers for the edification of the body. You need them. God said so. God did. God. God... in his word. The Bible. God said you need them. Can you not get that? Are you that obsessed with indvidualism that you can't help but practically urinate on what the Bible says about your need for teachers.

Nope. I just proved that he has way more in common with you. It's obvious.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well Luke, as enjoyable as it is for me to allow you to make a fool of yourself, I need to get to bed.

I didn't have to go to college to know it is not a good idea to handle poisonous snakes, but apparently you need lots of help.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to overvalue Seminary and formal education, as while important, especially for those called as pastors/teachers, FAR more important is ones persoanl walk with christ, prayer life, and having a teachable spirit, allowing the holy spirit to show you how to understand and apply the word, based upon solid bible study methods!

were the Apostles NOT learned men, no formal traiining, yet were all gifted by same Spirit as we are to preach and teach Jesus?

More important to be found "walking wth and knowing Jesus", then must be seminary trained!

#104 Yeshua1, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God determined that based upon his bad and foolish 'free will" choice, Coots folly would result in death!

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You could not be more wrong.

You exalt this individualistic nonsense forgetting that the Word of God shows God working through CORPORATE means. We are the BODY OF CHRIST. We work together, we study together, we learn together. Alone, apart from the Body of Christ WE ARE NOTHING. NOTHING.

Having a teachable spirit does not mean being able to be taught by mess bouncing around in your own head that you wrongly CALL the Holy Spirit. Being teachable means connecting yourself to the larger Body of Christ, studying what the Church has thought about each passage for two thousands year and seeking a multitude of counselors.

Seminary is not the ONLY place you can do that. But it is the best place today that I know of.

What killed Jamie Coots is that he trusted in his individual "persoanl walk with Christ, prayer life, and having a teachable spirit, allowing the holy spirit to show you how to understand and apply the word..."

You are dead wrong here too. Jamie Coots thought the same way you do. The Apostles KNEW the original languages. They grew up speaking them fluently. They knew the historical backgrounds of the New Testament. They LIVED THEM EVERY DAY. They knew the context of the writings of the Apostles- they WERE the writers.

A guy has to go to seminary for years to be within a country MILE of the unlearned Apostles.

PLUS! PLUS!! They attended the finest seminary the world has ever known. Their campus was the land in which the Bible was written and their professor was none other than the Second Person of the Godhead Trinity!!

Yes! They were EXTREMELY learned men BECAUSE they had been with Jesus.

Jesus is not here bodily walking with us... Oh but wait!! He IS!!! His Body is the Body of Christ which is what seminary hooks you up to.

You are not connected to the LARGER Body of Christ in some holler somewhere listening to no one but the handful of people in your community.

#106 Luke2427, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Light isn't the cure for blindness, pearls and holy things don't transform swine or dogs, and knowledge puffeth up.

No amount of education will change one's heart.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    About 3 hrs.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Education is exactly what changes ones heart. We're not talking about secular education. We're talking about the Word of God.

The Bible could not be more clear that this is EXACTLY what changes men's hearts.

The point I am making is that it must be rightly divided. In order to do that you must know HOW to rightly divide the Word of Truth.

To do this, you need to know something of the original languages, historical backgrounds, literary genres, authorial intent, hermeneutics, etc, etc, etc...

Now, seminary may not be the only place to do that- but it cannot sensibly argued that it is not a great, perhaps the best place today to do it.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    K...................

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Excellent! We have an accord!

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I once was blind but now I see ... I was going to ask how you did that; very clever Aaron... :)

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Smart as paint:tongue3:

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last thing Coots remembers?

[​IMG]

Those who play with snakes, eventually get bit!

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No we don't. Just not arguing anymore.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :smilewinkgrin:

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean flat and monotoned? :confused:;)