1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What kind of car did you dad have?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Jan 24, 2014.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I got one of those, 2014 Impala. Nice car. Started out with a used 1953 Ford probably end up with a Chevrolet. Now that is progress!:laugh::laugh:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You bought a Government Motors Car?????

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

We had a '64 Rambler station wagon like this one, same color.

[​IMG]

This was a good running car, I learned to drive in this car, 3 speed on the column.

Our Rambler was done in by an unusual accident, a person hauling a picnic table with the large umbrella pulled in front of my Dad on the highway. The umbrella opened up and the picnic table went airborne. My Dad had to swerve to keep it from coming right through the windshield at him, it hit the right front fender and disintegrated. The people with the trailer never even stopped. The car was smashed pretty bad and my Dad got rid of it.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The Last car I knew my father to have was a 1963 Ford Falcon. He drove it until 1996 or so. It was turquoise. He bought it used in 1971 for $800 and sold it for $300.

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got his money's worth out of that!

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Winman, I think the 1953 was probably a Bel Air, and not an Impala. My Grandfather owned a 1953 Chevy, a standard model. The front seat had a problem, but I cannot remember what it was. In any event, my Grandfather and Dad went to a junk dealer and bought a 1953 Bel Air front seat, and they swapped it out. From then on, we I traveled with Grandpa, we traveled in the lap of luxury. :)

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'd call it regression instead. :D

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

You could be correct, I was very little when my Dad owned this car, about 4 or 5 years old.

We have not talked about our mother's cars. My mom had a 57 Chevy that was souped up by the Petty's themselves.

[​IMG]

I am actually related to Richard Petty, he is married to my father's cousin. I never knew them, but my parents did.

Now, this was a hot car, and my mom was not afraid to drive it fast!

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Winman, the 1957 chevy sport coupe was a great car. As I said, I owned and drove one from 1962 (when I bought it used) to 1965 when I left it in my mom's care while I served in the Army in Germany. When I came home, it had been wrecked and sold for junk. No wonder I dislike LBJ so much.

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

LBJ wrecked your car?? :laugh:

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe LBJ ranks among the most evil Presidents in the history of America. I believe 50,000 American deaths in Viet Nam, are the direct result of LBJ sinful actions. Early on, within the first six months, the LBJ White House knew they could not win the war (as presented in the book, The Fog of War) yet continued to "fight" a war of attrition. They lacked the courage to destroy the Soviet and Chinese supply transports (trucks, trains and ships) fearing a nuclear exchange, and you do not win a war unless you destroy the enemy's ability to wage war.

So while I was serving in the war effort, from the safety of Germany, Americans were being conscripted and transported to die in Viet Nam to protect the political power of LBJ. While I was away, my 1957 Chevy was destroyed, and so, stretching a bit, I hold LBJ responsible.

12. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Although I know that my father probably had at least two or three other cars before I was born, I do remember riding in these cars:

1953 Dodge 4-door sedan
    1957 Chevy 4-door sedan
    1954 Dodge 4-door sedan

The 1954 Dodge was my father's "fishing car." I inherited this car after my father died in 1963. This was the only car that I ever inherited. I only used it for about a year or so since I sold it for parts just prior to my entering the USAF in September, 1964.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ones I remember:

54 Desoto

59 Rambler SW

66 Rambler Sedan