1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What kind of lifestyle are you enabling if you give to pandhandlers?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alcott, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will give on occasion. It's an intuitive feeling (I guess).

This is somewhat amusing... Once I gave a destitute man who was outside a grocery store asking for change a 20.00 bill. He immediately started saying "oh my gosh, oh my gosh" and ran into the store.

Yes he bought groceries and I (and many others) could hear him going down the aisles with an occasional "oh my gosh".

I don't think I will ever forget that particular incident.

But yes, there are those who make a kind of profession out of it but I know them, where they panhandle and I won't give them anything.

In Seattle it was discovered that there were/are panhandlers at several of the exits/entrances of the freeway (I95) who practice their trade at rush hour (when the exits are jammed). I have seen them going up and down the lines of cars soliciting the commuters.

It was found that many of them made in excess of $900/week.

HankD

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a man in Progresso, Mexico, just across the river from where we live, who sits in a wheel chair with both legs and feet shriveled to less than half normal size. Every time we walk across the international bridge we give him a couple dollars. He is always very polite and thankful and says "The Lord bless you" as you walk on. (Mexico has no welfare or disability system.)

I doubt helping him eat and feed his family is "enabling" him. :)

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with what Hank said.
    Most of the panhandlers make good money ( TAX FREE!)

Giving money to a panhandler is putting a band aid on.
    What we need to do is preform surgery.

These folks need help - they need jobs - they need assistance in learning how to live a
    successful life. They also need the Lord.

There are assistance centers, such as Rescue Missions that can give real help.
    Lets support such organizations.

Of course there are always exceptions that TCasisday gave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in WA State there is WorkSource which is associated with the WA State Employment Security Department (ESD) where one can receive assistance finding a job and even training for a new vocation.

WorkSourceWA dot com.

HankD

6. Rlee

Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to allow my human analytical skills to begin working the moment I spot someone on the road or at an off-ramp. "Why are they here on pay days as opposed to the middle of the week?" "Why are they standing when they have crutches?" While I think we should be careful and wise with what God has given us, I fear that sometimes my need to ask for quick discernment is drowned out by my a judgemental attitude. In any event, I rarely give money if a sign says need food. I buy a meal. If I'm on foot and approached, I generally start a conversation, asking delicate but direct questions to see if the need is genuine and to better get to know who and what God has just allowed into my life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to give when I can. I know that many of those to whom I give money may not be unable to work, and indeed may be making more money begging than they would working. But there are many others who need help. I do not think it is my responsibility to determine which ones are worthy, or which ones have a legitimate need. If they ask, and I can, I will.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do the same thing. There are a lot of guys at stop lights with signs reading "Homeless Vet" or "Disabled Vet" or something like that.

When I come up to them I roll down my window and ask if they are a vet. When they say "yes" I asked to see their VA ID card. They usually make an excuse like "I left it at home." To which I reply, "I though you were homeless?" Or if they claim to be disabled I ask to see their VA card and if they have one (rare) I check under their picture. If they are disabled it will say "service connected" under their photo. That shows they are a service connected, disabled vet, which is usually compensatable. Seldom find that language under their photo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I almost always strike up a conversation to see where the Lord leads. I am interested to hear their story (some are untruthful, but the truth usually comes out after talking to them for awhile). I have given money a few times, but mostly meals.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would never give them cash. But I have been known to take them to reastruant, (fast food, diner, ect) and I will pay for their meal.
    One day, a panhandler asked for money to buy food. - I told him to hop in, and that I would take him to the Rescue mission for a free meal. He said he would never eat that slop. IWell, I guess he wasnt really hungry.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, I have used the VA for forty years. I am not disabled. I did not know that was on the face of the VA ID card. Thank you.

13. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. I have used the VA for many years. I did not know disabled vets I'd state disabled. Thank you for that.

14. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I lived over in C(r)ook County Illinois, there were many forest preserve trails that I'd ride my bike on. One trail I rode on frequently crossed a major intersection, and there was a homeless man on one of the corners with a "homeless, please help" sign. There was always a pretty beat up bike there with him, so one day I stopped and struck up a conversation with him, asking him where he stayed. He said he usually stayed in one of the picnic shelters in the closest picnic grove (about 1/2 mile from the intersection) when the weather was warm and a mission or homeless shelter when it was too cold to sleep outside. On that day, I did give him a few dollars (all I had in my bike bag) but on subsequent rides on that trail, I would toss a few extra granola bars and bottles of water in my bag, and if I saw him at the intersection, I'd give him the extra stuff I tossed in my bag. I even did some light bike maintenance on his bike a time or two.He could never thank me enough, and I was glad to do it.

About six months after moving back to Indiana, I took a drive over there a few times to that intersection, but didn't see him. I'll still drive past if I'm ever over that way, which isn't too often anymore, and never see him anymore. I often wonder what became of him.

15. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I rarely give money. - can't remember the last time I did.
    I have given my lunch - and once saw it tossed over a fence after I gave it to the guy.
    There are way too many abusers of the system.

Locally we have a group called "Advocates of the Homeless and People in Need"
    The group provides needed assistance in a humane, friendly way and maximizes the use of donations.

The group offers training to volunteers - as a health professional it is important to note that more than 90% of the homeless have mental illness of one type or another - reason (such as asking for ID cards) doesn't always work the way it should.

Rob

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me relate a missed opportunity - an incident to encourage other Christians to consider circumstances to witness.

About 6 years ago I frequently traveled downtown to Children's Hospital with my daughter via commuter train.
    On our way back, while waiting to purchase a return ticket, We saw a ragged man arguing with the ticket agent.
    He was a bit short on the money needed for a ticket - I didn't have any cash so I didn't even try to help.
    After a minute or two he was quite agitated and eventually scrounged up the cash and angrily descended to stairs to the station - only to physically assault another commuter and end up arrested before our eyes.

Thinking about it awhile on the trip home, I thought I should have asked him if he was a veteran (whether he was or wasn't didn't matter) - and then honored him with a free ticket.

It was a opportunity for witness I regret.

Rob

17. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Advantage of rural life, I pretty much know the details on the few panhandlers I see. None of them are "professionals" like in that video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there are many valid beggars but also the "valid", sometimes it takes discernment.

There are enough organizations in America where no one actually needs to be a beggar especially in WA which is very liberal towards the needy.

Help for the real ones I certainly approve including those who are emotionally driven to "drop out".

HankD

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter