1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What kind of teeth...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Apr 20, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Something from another thread got me to thinking (I know...dangerous :D)

Genesis 1:30: '"And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground -- everything that has the breath of life [nephesh] in it -- I give every green plant for food." And it was so.'

What kind of teeth were carnivorous animals created with? If God's creation was deemed "good"...and lions didn't eat gazelles...wouldn't lions have been originally created with teeth to eat vegetation? Teeth that carnivors have NOW are created for tearing flesh...but if God's perfect creation was for that to NOT be the case, I'm thinking all carnivors would have teeth like vegetarians, and the teeth that carnivors currently have are actually a flaw caused by the fall. I'm not talking about the ability for lions with their current teeth to chew and eat vegetation, but God's original plan for what are now carnivors.

If they were created with different teeth for vegetation, how would the current carnivorous teeth come about? Could the 2 carnivorous animals selected by God for the ark been the first 2 of each carnivor species?

#1 webdog, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Well, I've actually thought about this before. Isn't that strange.
    No idea, but maybe a few thoughts, Maybe God created them with carnivorous teeth knowing they were going to need them, or maybe He changed them, like those born after the ark had the carnivore teeth. Either way when God created them they were deemed good. But so was man, and he changed. Just some thoughts that don't mean anything.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Another thought along the same lines.

Predators have eyes in the front of their heads, such as hawks. Other birds have eyes on the sides of their heads. Did God change the placement of the eyes? Were hawks originally seed eaters?

4. johnp.

johnp. New Member

webdog.

I think it not as simple as teeth for grass and teeth for meat. Many creatures eat both including us. My fangs don't stop me eating Shredded Wheat. :)

ISA 11:6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
    the leopard will lie down with the goat,
    the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
    and a little child will lead them.
    ISA 11:7 The cow will feed with the bear,
    their young will lie down together,
    and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
    ISA 11:8 The infant will play near the hole of the cobra,
    and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest.
    ISA 11:9 They will neither harm nor destroy
    on all my holy mountain,
    for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD
    as the waters cover the sea.

....and the lion will eat straw like the ox... As it was it will be again. Molars don't work with a lion's looks really. :)

No death.

john.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought of this too, but if God's original intent were for animals to not eat other animals and only vegetation, that would mean God's creation was done with the intent of having less than perfect results. That's like creating a car with a part you know will fail, and calling it good. While we do just that, because we are finite, I don't believe God would have done that.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Well, God knew man would sin, He created man perfect knowing he would end up being less then perfect. Thnking along the lines of johnp's post, maybe their teeth were meant to do both, like ours. Think about it, man was created in the garden to eat veggies, now we eat meat, our teeth do both now.
    gota run, can't finish

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I think the bottom line is we don't know. Maybe there is some fossil evidence left by the flood, but I don't think anyone would interpret it properly even if there was.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Maybe He knew most of us were going to end up with false choppers. :)

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Many people who reach the age of 100+ develop a new set of teeth. Just my personal theory -- I think that's left over from the fact that we were designed to live a lot longer (over 900 years), but thanks to a lot of changes to the environment, we no longer live that long. But if we did live that long, I'm guessing we'd get several new sets of teeth along the way.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thats interesting. They talk all the time about some long dead person whose teeth have been worn down chewing, so we know this or that about them becasue of it. So you may have something there.
    But, no matter hwo He chose to do it, God is the one who limits the human life span from 900+ years

11. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Where does this idea that there were no carnivores before the so-called "fall" come from? And if the animals did change, isn't that evolution?

Also, if we weren't supposed to eat animals, how come they taste so good? How come they are made of meat? haha

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you not read the OP?

13. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's obvious, the moment Adam sinned the molars fell out of the Sharks and lions and fangs immediately grew in there place. Not only that they immediately had a craving for catfish and T-bones.
    Of course this dramatic change in nature is found nowhere in Genesis, but it is obviously the way it happened.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There's no dramatic change found in Genesis, huh? You think creation might be dramatic? Making man from dirt? Woman from a rib? Creation of TIME?

15. Magnetic Poles

Well, DUH, yeah! But that's not what the verse you quoted says. It says every green plant for food, but it doesn't say that was the ONLY food.

So does this mean Marijuana Brownies are healthy for us? It's a green plant.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry, I didn't read where other animals were given to other animals as food. Was that Genesis 1:30.5?

Marijuana brownies are green plants? :laugh:
    Congratulations! You made the "humerous quotes from BB members" thread!

#16 webdog, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  17. Magnetic Poles

You are inferring from where the Bible is silent.

If I say you can have cake for dessert, does that exclude the possibility of also having ice cream?

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

First Opinions 1:13

[​IMG]

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am?!? You are the one claiming that they ate each other! Scripture tells us...not silently...that vegetation was given for food. YOUR argument is done from silence!
    It does if I say "you will have cake for dessert"!

20. Magnetic Poles

Webdog, you really need to take a logic class. You are making arguments that are baseless.